Bearded Iris Ideology

Bearded Iris Ideology

A Poem by Patricia Wedel
"

An idea that forms the basis of love

"
I am blessed with a man who resembles 
a bearded Iris with a tuft of hair ... 
a face of flower sepals soft and smooth 
always gentle and true blue... 

He conquered my heart of roses in bloom 
romantic overtures of colors magenta rare... 
the golden sunset years of not a care 
peaceful nights of touchimg earth... 

© 2016 Patricia Wedel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

the bearded Iris with a tuft of hair ... who but love can love him right!? ;) i think your poem is wonderful ..for me you talk of a love that has smoothed over many rough roads and mountains .. the staying power of loving the most inner other person ... i tell Norma ..I just love your guts to pieces, honey ... she doesn't think its so romantic ...but i do :)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

ps. i absolutely love your description of him ..what a great line, emotion and image
Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

Yes E... you understand ... Blessings to you and Norma... truly, Pat
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

:) ..............



Reviews

What a superb way to pay tribute to your hunny bunny! *wink! wink!* This is a nicely original comparison & I also love a bearded man! You sound like a very lucky woman who knows what's important in life. I'm picturing the bearded Iris becuz my neighbor has a bunch in purple.

Posted 6 Years Ago


How blessed is love such as this :) Pat, this is truly a wonderful ode to love, such a light shines here and an appreciation that can only be a reverence, beautiful :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dear Poppy... Iris are charming with their beards that tickle our fancy...
They seem to appe.. read more
You create the most beautiful images Pat. Your love poem is gorgeous.

Julie

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dear Julie... so charming and sweet to read your review. I miss your poetry. Wishing you the warme.. read more
the bearded Iris with a tuft of hair ... who but love can love him right!? ;) i think your poem is wonderful ..for me you talk of a love that has smoothed over many rough roads and mountains .. the staying power of loving the most inner other person ... i tell Norma ..I just love your guts to pieces, honey ... she doesn't think its so romantic ...but i do :)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

ps. i absolutely love your description of him ..what a great line, emotion and image
Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

Yes E... you understand ... Blessings to you and Norma... truly, Pat
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

:) ..............
Pat, I'm sure you are the rose that ruffles his beard, as you are his garden of Eden. What a lovely touching write rich in colour and form.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dear Andrew... I appreciate your charming review.
Roger enjoys that I compare birds and flo.. read more
A beautifully penned, colour filled poem, flowers are indeed an endearing symbol of love and long may you both continue to proliferate my dear Pat !

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
I love the comparison of a man you love as a "bearded iris with a tuft of hair." The iris flower is quite beautiful. It is rich and vibrant with color, but so delicate. Not only is the Iris beautiful, but full of symbolic meanings. There's the Greek goddess named Iris, also known as the Goddess of the Rainbow. She served as the messenger between heaven and earth. That's how I feel romance and love does for us in a sense. We get a little bit of heaven when we are wrapped in the whirls of romance, when we are with the person we love.

The third line, I'm a bit confused as to what "sepals" means. The word "sepal" is a noun and you've seemed to use it as a verb. Did you intend for that? If not, I would suggest either using another word or adding a comma or dash between "flower" and "sepals."

I was perplexed by "true blue." Blue irises are symbolic of faith and hope. I didn't really get that tone from the previous lines. I felt like purple was the color that fit there because purple is often symbolic of wisdom and compliments. Yellow could go there seeing as yellow irises symbolize passion or even white, which symbolizes purity. Either that or expanding on the idea of "true blue" because otherwise I'm not sure what that means.

I feel as though the second stanza needed a bit more transition because in the previous stanza you are talking about how gentle your lover is. Now all of sudden, he's "conquering you." Perhaps change the word "conquered" because it sounds rough when I read it. You know if you were to replace the word "roses" with a flower that's complimentary to a bearded Iris such as lilies (soft, sweet) or chrysanthemums (energetic, bold) while also matching the complimentary flower with your personality, that line would be more powerful.

I'm not sure how I feel about the next line because I really like the way it sounds, but I'm having trouble understanding the transition. Did this bearded iris sing to you, thus conquering your heart of roses? Did it serenade you and you subdued? It feels like suddenly you have this romantic song (that's what I'm guessing you mean by overtures) that sings in magenta colors. I love use of magenta because that color has really cool symbolic meanings. It can mean universal love or an explosion of creativity and inspiration. I understand how using "rare" works, but it just looks awkwardly put.

I can say the same for the next line. It sounds pretty, but I'm not really getting how that connects with a romantic overture. Same for the last line. I actually love how that last line sounds. Maybe you could incorporate elements of the day in the previous stanza to make it harmonize a bit.

All in all, the poem sounds sporadic, but very pretty. Perhaps that was your intent to display this color of explosion like you are so in love that you can't help, but lose yourself in beautiful imagery as you write something like this.

I do love the romantic overtone of your poem. Keep working on it.

Thanks for posting! Have a great day!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KTizzle

7 Years Ago

Oh yea i googled it. That was a malinformed comment. I dont know the structure of an iris, i just kn.. read more
KTizzle

7 Years Ago

And i wanted to understand the poem because it was beautiful
Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

Thank you dear Jazzy... We loved our English teacher in high school. She also taught us English Lit.. read more
Awwww, Pat, what a romantic write this is. Just so lovely. I enjoyed the metaphor. Roger is indeed like a bouquet of flowers bringing color and happiness into your life. May the two of you have many more peaceful nights together. Lydi*** PS....love your new profile photo!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dearest Lydia... So lovely to hear from you. We had a number of balmy days, and now it will be chil.. read more
A amazing poem dear Patricia. I feel the lucky man is very blessed to have you. Thank you dear friend for sharing the hopeful and positive poem.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

We must be kind. Need more writers and poets. Negative words and actions don't make someone seek to .. read more
Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dear John... It is important to share "hope" for the future. As long as the birds are singing and f.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree my dear friend.
Beautiful poem. Loved the imagery limned, very poetic and deeply beautiful. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

7 Years Ago

dear Cyprian... Your review is very artistic and appreciated🎨... We can see so much about nature .. read more
Cyprian Van Dyke

7 Years Ago

You're right, we certainly can! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

702 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 15, 2016
Last Updated on November 15, 2016

Author

Patricia Wedel
Patricia Wedel

Keystone, WV



About
Life is like a River that includes the sound of Warblers among the trees laden with happiness and tears... Wings take us to places we discover and people who write the Music we love to hear... quietly.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


64 64

A Poem by Lydia Shutter