Great Lakes and quiet nights

Great Lakes and quiet nights

A Poem by Patricia Wedel

I have never been to the Great Lakes in Michigan 

Called Inland Seas... there is a breeze that relieves the 

anxiety of living in a crowded city with smoke and smog... 

Small towns with tidy streets and summer cottages 

Bright green beach grasses reflecting light off the water... 

Evenings with Sunset palettes of orange, purple and blue 

Au Sable Lighthouse is a historic place to see on the wind-swept beach.  

Lake lore would be Longfellow's poem "Song of Hiawatha"... 

How do I know these things... I read it in a Magazine.  

 

© 2020 Patricia Wedel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are so many places I feel connected to because of a photo, poem the discovery channel.
I love how you Express sights and feelings so interchangeably.
Nature is that old friend that bids us come see me and stay awhile, and when thise words or said photo capture us, we're hooked, even sight unseen.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dearest Cherrie... so true that we can become part of the photos and videos if we relax and imagine .. read more



Reviews

A lovely connection, and all from a magazine. So many places we will never get to visit can be brought to life is such ways.

I like watching travel shows on TV and particularly enjoy Michael Palin. His intelligent 2018 travelogue on North Korea was fascinating; and though it was mostly left unsaid, the very careful replies and the expressions on ordinary people's faces, spoke volumes when they were asked about life in the world's most repressive regime.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dearest Beccy... yes, we do travel from our Comfy overstuffed Chair and become entranced with the Wo.. read more
Interesting reflective and some truth to it too. There are many places none of us travel to but , especially with the internet and TV we get a glimpse anyway. I have been to Lake Michigan and it was awesome, truely and inland sea. I saw it from Chicago and Traverse City.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

Thank you John for leaving your thoughts about the Great Lakes... so lovely you have actually been t.. read more
My grandfather used to rent a bus converted into a giant camper (way back in the early 70's) he would pack all of his children, grandkids and in-laws onto the bus and drive across the country. He would never tell us where we were going, if you asked him he would say "To the shores of Gitche Gumee" with a cracked smile! My grandfather was a surgeon in world war 2 and he always had a serious nature he adored medicine, philosophy and poetry and was educated in them at Penn university he had an extremely keen mind but his life always had a certain gravity and as such he was somewhat stoic so these moments when he did smile it was a luminescent affair. We did travel to the great lakes I don't remember it much I was only 5 or 6 at the time but oh how I remember that Hiawatha poem and his great big smile!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dearest Bunny... today I read your story to to my hubby Roger. We both enjoyed hearing about the R.. read more
Robert Trakofler

3 Years Ago

somewhere I have some old home movies from those trips I converted to digital I wonder what became o.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJ
Haha - love the last line here! It lifts the poem into a different realm and lightens the mood. In the whole piece, you paint a lovely picture and use words effectively.
Personally, I like the alliteration and internal rhyme quite a bit, like "...there is a breeze that relieves..." and "... a crowded city with smoke and smog.../Small towns with tidy streets and summer cottages..." Sometimes, writing like this happens without effort or even, occasionally, knowledge it's being done. I picked up on the "s" and "m" alliteration, for example.
Imagery, always needed for a good poem, is simple yet works well.
I'm not sure why "Sunset" and "Magazine" are capitalized, but it doesn't hurt, not really.
Thanks for a pleasant read. (-:

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dear LJ... thank you for your generous review... we have never been fly-fishing in a
mountai.. read more
A relaxing time. I've never been either. Great work!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Levi Levin

3 Years Ago

Sounds great! Does it have trout?
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

No Trout... however, a friend goes fishing at two am in the wee hours and catches Cat Fish which his.. read more
Levi Levin

3 Years Ago

I'd love a plate of those:)
Love the last line , a picture article giving us a sense of things. Lovely

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dearest Miss Moon (as Sami would say)...
I appreciate your gentle review. It seems that the.. read more
Oh excellent Patricia.The experiences we file away and the places our minds visit in reading. This is what reading is. No more, no less

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dear Ken... thank you for your warm review.
A beautiful world to explore through Movies and.. read more
A beautiful poem for the Great Lakes. They are more beautiful in real person. Dear Pat, four of the Great Lakes touches Michigan and one touches Canada. I live near Lake St. Clair, me and the grandchildren love the lakes. We collect the shiny rocks. You would love them. Lake Superior is like a ocean. Never rest. Thank you for sharing the wonderful poetry.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dear John... when I was about five years old our family lived in Toledo, Ohio. We visited Berrian S.. read more
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

The Great Lakes are wonderful and I hope you are enjoying the days of Summer.
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

“Summertime and the Livin is easy... fish are hoppin and the Cotton is high... Hush little Baby.. .. read more

Dear Pat... we all have a special place dont we... and whether we find them in a magazine, or stumble upon them in our travels.. it matters not a single jot.. that place is ours...for a moment at least.. and just for the record.. whenever I hear of Hiawatha.. I think of my Father.. not because he was a great boat builder.. because he surely was.. but because he often took me to the banks of the mighty swirling gitchi-gami whenever he read to me the story of Hiawatha .. and for that, I sincerely thank thee :)

Neville

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dearest Neville.. you are “Rich” in the treasure of knowledge... My father lived to read Shakesp.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


we are both winners it seems ... go well my friend..
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

Thank you ... one of my favorite Bards of Poetry... you are.. gently, Pat
Delightful descriptions of the inland seas, never been to Lake Michigan; but by your vivid pallet, it seems like a picturesque, quiet holiday place. The end is a nice little surprise, exceptionally honest...because you could have said many other things like someone told you or.... anyway great ending!
Fondly, Betty

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

dear Betty... we need to smile 😊 to relieve stress these days... in fact, laughter is good becaus.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 8, 2020
Last Updated on August 8, 2020

Author

Patricia Wedel
Patricia Wedel

Keystone, WV



About
Life is like a River that includes the sound of Warblers among the trees laden with happiness and tears... Wings take us to places we discover and people who write the Music we love to hear... quietly.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee