Wish I Could Have Known You

Wish I Could Have Known You

A Story by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

For a great man

"

I didn't know him. I wish I had. We have some of the same ideas. To compare me to him though, I will not and could not. He was a minister, an activist, a leader, writer, a friend, father, husband, son and a brother. Not just to the people of his color, but to all people. Not many wanted to hear what he had to say.
 

He was born in Atlanta, Georgia.The same Atlanta, Georgia that Gen. Sherman burned to the ground during one of the most troubled times in this country we call America. The Civil War.. odd name to me, calling it ' civil '.What was civil about it?

What was civil about a race of people being captured and against their will, taken by force from their beautiful homeland of Africa, brought here and treated like animals in most cases. Finally, some people decided slavery was not a good idea. Selling human beings, tearing families apart, not a good idea. Thus, a war was fought and the North won. The slaves were 'freed'..
 

Many years later a man was born who grew to be a great man with great ideas. This man was Martin Luther King Jr. Though he was born on January 15, his birthday is celebrated on this day. Like many great men and women with great ideas for the good of all, he was assassinated before he saw his dream fulfilled. A funny looking little man, James Earl Ray, much like the funny looking little man, Lee Harvey Oswald, who shot John Fitzgerald Kennedy put an end to Dr. King's life and dreams.
 

Today I wonder how far his dream has come. Things are better, but are they/we equal? I cannot speak for my black brothers and sisters. They know better than I. In my eyes, racism is still alive and well here in the South and all across the U.S. and the world. Genocide is still alive and well. War, still alive and well.
 

Abraham, Martin and John, dead and gone. The dream lives on..it has to. It is our responsibility to do what we can to fulfill the dreams of these three men and so many others who gave their lives to make the world a a better place.
 

Happy Birthday Dr. King. You are not forgotten. Nor is your dream. I also hope someday all God's children, black and white, Jews, Gentiles,Catholics, Muslims, ALL can come together on a red hilltop in Georgia, join hands and sing the old Negro spiritual:

" Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last."
 

I wish I could have known you.

Your dream lives on.

© 2011 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
Wrote this for MLK's birthday ..and because he was a man of peace . I wish i could have known him.
Schools are closed and many businesses but the school closing does not say it is closed for Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday but 'staff day'.. not too cool

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You missed out hearing the words of a courageous man. although there is enough film footage that he will never be forgotten. This was a beautiful and honest tribute to a rare man, a man who knew he was going to die. I grew up seeing signs "Negro's Bathroom." I grew up when racism was truely dangerous. It was much more than slow service, or profiling. Martin tried with all his heart to bring us together by peaceful means. He not only had whites to fear, he also had his own race to fear. As far as dignity and courage, I don't think there's a better model than he was. In those days, even the thought of a black fireman would have been a miracle. We always can do better, and I think your piece is a supreme compliment to a deserving warrior. I use the word "warrior" in the truest sense. I wonder what he would think of our world today ? I wonder what he would think of your beautiful tribute ? Great write. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You did a great job...if events continue to unfold as they have, we shall soon test the theory of how far we have come. I hope it as far as I think it is. Many people helped to open that door, but MLK will properly get the credit. Thanks for dragging me back here...I might even post, lol.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i am amazed at your deep and nice feeling ,you give great meaning to every word ,i felt them so hard as if talking to me ,i have known Dr king ,though i am far away from your land ,i used to hear his speaches ,its almost like hearing nice songs ,i used to hear them time after time ,so strong words they shook my whole being ,you talk nicely about peace we are getting far from it each day ,the world is all pains and hatred ,as if it can never take us all in ,you see the dead in my land every day by the dozens ,and for what ,so many families lost he father so many are orphaned,so much poverty in iraq now like never before in 50 years ,so many killings everday,its like hunger for blood never ending ,so much blood will still bring hatred more and more

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is such a powerful write. Such an powerful tribute to a wonderful man. His dream lives on and we should never forget!


Posted 16 Years Ago


First, thank you for the read! I enjoyed this very much. It reminded me that here in the north, in Cincinnati, OHio the gateway to the north, the day after King's "Officially Celebrated" birthday was a news report about racists who had plastered buildings and light posts in northern kentucky (right across the river to us) with racist jargon - degrading in words the african american community and insulting Dr. King. Racism is alive and well and so deeply ingrained in our society as to be nearly impossible to cleanse. I'm trying to be an optimist, I made myself go back to that last line and add "nearly".

THanks again for a well written, thought-provoking story

Posted 16 Years Ago


"The dream lives on..it has to. It is our responsibilty to do what we can to fulfill the dreams of these three men and so many other's who gave their lives to make the world a a better place."

I love those lines. A nice heartfelt tribute. He was incredible indeed! I don't think society is there yet, no. Maybe one day... and perhaps we can help build a path to get there for future generations.

Cheers,
Stacy :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


The big point about this is the intelligent way you have put the piece together. This shows tremendous willpower not to rant with your own viewpoint but to instead establish writing an enjoyable factual piece which we can all learn from.
I think this is a very valid write and as you say, nothing changes, just the names of the great peacemakers and those set out to assassinate them (through which ever organisation they work for - oh dear that was a bit controversial - 'sorry' to any politician reading this)
'staff' day - as the definition of a 'staff' is a long rod or stick which in turn leads to a rude analogy, I think this just about sums the teachers day up. where has their sentiment gone? are they not supposed to be sensible leaders to our children?

Posted 16 Years Ago


Oh wow Chloe, I am covered in goosebumps.

This was truly a great tribute to an even greater man. For some reason your piece made me think about the song "Civil War" from G'nR, don't ask my why though.
Brilliantly done, I think sometimes we all need a reminder of all the people who fought so hard to achieve something as important as peace and freedom!!


Posted 16 Years Ago


Nicely done, he was a great man. I agree with most of the points you mentioned. I don't think his dream is even close to being realized, there are still many issues to deal with. It may be a while --maybe living in a dream world -- before this world comes close to being like his dream.


Great Write.
Rayne

Posted 16 Years Ago


A spectacular tribute, Chloe! I still remember the instant I heard of MLK's assassination. I remember my mom crying and my dad saying, "no, not again." It was shocking and a tragedy for not only Black Americans, but to all of humanity. Abraham, Martin, and John...and then Bobby.....this write brought back memories and inspired thought. Wonderfully written. Lydia

Posted 16 Years Ago


Thank-you for posting this. I am trying to educate my children about Martin Luther King Day, and you gave alot to think about. Where I live, the celebrations are strong in the Black churches. I don't understand why schools and businesses close when most people sleep in and order pizza rather than honor Martin Luther King Jr. or the cause he fight and died for. I went to visit my son's school and not one picture of Martin Luther King Jr. hangs anywhere. There was so much missing...we have to stand up as leaders and as elders to teach our children, and to pass on the knowledge and experiences of our past. We are the living schools.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

944 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2008
Last Updated on January 14, 2011

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..