The Shadow

The Shadow

A Chapter by Paul Bell

It wasn’t much. But what it was, was all hers.

Francesca Marchetti was now the owner of her own little coffee bar. The dream was now a reality. It scared the hell out of her. But she was a determined girl. Or at least those were the words she kept telling herself. She had to succeed. Her mother, five hundred miles away in Milan, already had her married and raising children.

Francesca, I was already married with two children at your age. Five hundred miles was maybe not far enough for her liking.

It was on the third day he came in. He quietly explained his order of one pot of coffee. Nothing more. He would come in mostly in the morning. He would stay an hour.

For this, he would pay extra.

Francesca watched as he took his seat. He spoke perfect Italian. But he certainly wasn’t. She guessed he was English. English people were always a bit eccentric.

She was sure her mother told her that. (Her mother.)

Though he only looked about twenty-five, and she wasn’t sure if twenty-five was a bit young to be eccentric.

But Francesca liked everything neat. So, Mr eccentric he was.


                         Chapter 2


Morgan B Montgomery knew that to get on in life, you had to talk to people. He didn’t actually disagree with that sentiment. It just seemed to him a waste of time repeating himself. He actually liked watching people go by. But that didn’t mean he wanted to converse with them. He liked cities. You could lose yourself in a city.

Cities also had streets, lots of streets. Buildings higher than other buildings. Yes, he liked cities.


                               Chapter 3


Francesca brought his pot of coffee and placed it on the table. It was becoming a regular routine. She wondered if he maybe had a crush on her. Was Mr eccentric just shy?

At times she would study him, trying to catch him glancing at her. Nothing. He just seemed to watch the people go by. Bah, men. She could do without them.


                               Chapter 4


Nothing is impossible in this world, nothing.

The coffee tasted good. People passed by.

He lived in a tent in the middle of the desert. Guarded by a thousand troops. A thousand troops.

They wanted him dead. They wanted him dead, wrapped in the American flag. Filmed for the world to see.

Nothing is impossible in this world, nothing.

Morgan B Montgomery could give them ten million reasons to dispute this claim. But since he agreed to the contract. He would have to keep that little gem to himself.



© 2021 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm in and reading onward ;) really like how you reveal these characters ... with self talk, observations by others and narration revelations ..engaging read for me ..love the characters .. nice technique!
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I should really finish this now that I'm in lockdown. lol
... okay Paul, I am on to chapter 2.

Posted 4 Years Ago


What you stopped oh no....Paul get back to that desk and write write... Heheh lovely one :))
I want to read what happens next...please... :))

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Go to the next chapter then. You couldn't maybe finish it off could you.
Ardra

5 Years Ago

I read all of it.... and that's it ???
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Called all the chapters, the shadow, to do your box in. lol
Quirky and very well written. Now I want more.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

There is other chapters. Just realised you have to actually finish the story, hate that. lol
A lovely taster... please let me know if i miss the next chapter..

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

There is a few together. lol
This is really good. Enjoyed it a whole lot.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

No being saying that when you have to read the rest of the chapters. lol
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Paul your doubting your own self worth and value, have faith in you always.you have come this far ri.. read more
this is something else my friend.. and that is good, in my book... great story .. it could very easily be published elsewhere in this form.. like one of them shrinklet novels from days of yore... 11/10 :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Neville

5 Years Ago

bless ya...
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

I'm on it. lol
Neville

5 Years Ago

good man..
What a wonderful (chapter) beginning, Paul. I can't wait for the rest of the chapters to be posted. The book will be great and going to be a treat to read.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Only if I actually write it, lol.
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

Even if it's a ghostwriter... I am anxious to read the rest of the chapters .

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 15, 2018
Last Updated on March 24, 2021


Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw