3

3

A Chapter by Paul Bell

I want you to follow a man, I want to know as much as possible about him. There’s no time limit. I just want to get some sort of profile on him. Report back to me in one month.

Strange request from Don Gambrina. But as head of Police, it was his public duty to check on people.


                                  11


The storm was due to hit at midnight heading into the fourth of July. Strangely apt. The chopper would drop him three miles from the target. It would sit for two hours, no longer. Blending into a sandstorm didn’t pose any problems. Running through a sandstorm was plain insanity. Time was not on his side. Planning was near impossible. But insane jobs were what they were, insane.

The target was in sight. He was right, only fools walk about in sandstorms. Everyone had taken cover. He couldn’t believe his luck. He quietly dug under the sand into the tent, slowly entering at the far corner. Two guards, both asleep. Now permanently asleep.

If there was such a thing as opulence in a tent, this was it. Though this was not the time to admire it. He watched him for a while. How many had died at the hands of this man? It felt strange as his hand began choking the life out of him. In a way, it had all started with him.

He had thirty-six minutes to run three miles back to the chopper. This was one flight he wasn’t going to miss.


                                   12


Jack Malone had worked damn hard to get to the top.

He had now been in charge of the CIA for ten years.

In that time he had made them accountable.

The days of hidden wars were over with. He still had a budget that would probably run some countries. But this money was used differently. Ten million dollars was worth the price to get rid of this one man. It would send a message to the rest of them. We will hunt you down and kill you. This film was proof of that.

The President was silent for a time. The assassin is he American.?

Yes, he’s American.

A very rich American. Do we give him a medal as well?

Well, we haven’t for the previous ones.

There’s been more.

Seven before. This is his first on your watch.

Well, Jack, I don’t know where you got him, or if you trained him. But I want to congratulate you on a job well done. Your old boss gave me one bit of advice when I took up the Presidency. He told me to put my life in your hands. He also said you were the most powerful man in America. I’m beginning to understand what he meant.

I work for you, sir. 24/7.

He said you would say that. Thanks, Jack.

I would also like to shake the hand of that man of yours.

Jack Malone thought long and hard for a while. Sometimes this business really grated every living part of him. Just knowing that Sir would be enough for him.



© 2021 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved this read! Reminded me of that book called No Easy Day where a US Navy Seal wrote a first-hand narrative about the mission which led to him shooting dead the al-Qaeda leader in Pakistan in May 2011. Like that book, this is quite gripping and I feel the guys working so stealthily behind the scenes to protect and uphold values like liberty and democracy are to be really saluted. I’m hoping for a sequel to this. Nice to make your acquaintance, sir Paul :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I thought in lockdown I would have had this finished, sadly the other 200 jobs I always managed to a.. read more



Reviews

Hmm. I've been missing some good stuff
Next you'll be into movies

Posted 2 Years Ago


This reminds me of the old show, Dragnet, maybe before your time. I love the style, and like the character Jack Malone. The writing is straight forward, like the theme. Enjoyed it.
Best, Betty

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I'll need to finish this sometime.
Good writing. Enjoyable..

Posted 3 Years Ago


loved every bit down to the last line which I am unclear on, didn't understand the context of it. but i'm sure the lines that would come after would clear that all up for me :D

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Yeah, the story seems to have come out of sequence, though that might be the way the cafe puts it ou.. read more
I like the style Paul and it suits the subject. It's tricky taking an extract like this but you've given enough. I wonder whether it might work better if you signal the dialogue by spacing or using punctuation. No need to go down the old - he said - route. I'm sure you'll find plenty of readers!
Take care.
Alan

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Not sure why this keeps coming back on chapter 3.
I'm going to finish this at some point. lol
Punchy and nervy writing style. straight to the point. Fantastic.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Someday I'll finish this. lol
Pennywriter

3 Years Ago

You should keep on adding to this story and create a new action hero. The pacing of the narration is.. read more
Loved this read! Reminded me of that book called No Easy Day where a US Navy Seal wrote a first-hand narrative about the mission which led to him shooting dead the al-Qaeda leader in Pakistan in May 2011. Like that book, this is quite gripping and I feel the guys working so stealthily behind the scenes to protect and uphold values like liberty and democracy are to be really saluted. I’m hoping for a sequel to this. Nice to make your acquaintance, sir Paul :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I thought in lockdown I would have had this finished, sadly the other 200 jobs I always managed to a.. read more
ok...now i have to find chapters one and two ;) i particularly like the Jake Malone characterization .. just his name makes me think of Sam Spade and Mike Hammer type characters.
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

yeah ... just not motivated .. i have one in the oven but not sure it will cook up much good ;} than.. read more
Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Four in the morning for fermenting.
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

:))))))))))) worked on it and posted .. just a bit of fun ... fermented long enough ;}
Since I've not read this post from the beginning I feel as though I'm coming in to the middle of the play, but what I do know is that you have a way with words and paint a clear and vivid picture for your reader! ~Sharon

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Not sure why this always comes up, since it's chapter 3. Actually, I must bloody finish it. lol
You have painted well a dark world which ordinary people do not see, but I suspect for me, being an ordinary person, it is all out there in the shadows.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

815 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2018
Last Updated on March 24, 2021


Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Turncoat Turncoat

A Poem by Chris Shaw