Top 5 Fantasy Worlds

Top 5 Fantasy Worlds

A Story by Paul Velora
"

My own personal opinion. Just read a list like this and disagreed, heartily.

"
5. Dragonlance
It's a classic definitely, and one that I started my fantasy reading out on, but it's just not up to snuff with the rest. The Kender and Hobgoblins differed only slightly from the world Tolkien created. I'm not basing my grading on that, but it is a valid point for this one. Complex characters and good solid magic system made it instantly recognizable by DnD nerds such as myself. Like I said, my personal foundation for Fantasy started in Solace.

4. Forgotten Realms
Two words: Underdark and Drizzt. Anyone who knows anything about fantasy has probably heard of Drizzt Do'Urden, and it was before R. A. Salvatore started to suck. The fight scenes were epic and gripping. Not to mention the hundreds and thousands of stories, books, campaigns, etc... that came from this world. Baldur's Gate alone should have warranted this a higher spot on my list, but yea verily, there can only be one.

3. Seven Kingdoms
I've only dipped a toe into this ocean but even that was exhilarating. His story is so complex and you never truly feel like you know what's going on. That said, Martin gives you the whole package on this world. Medieval, yes. Knights, yes ma'am. How about enough court intrigue to make a soap opera out of? Yes. It's a little crazy and I have some reservations about it being a wannabe Robert Jordan, but damn if I can't help myself loving the image of a King with a hulking direwolf by his side. It's awesome.

2. Vinnengael
Don't know about Vinnengael or it's occupants? You're are sadly missing out. This world was created by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman of Dragonlance fame BUT they worked with their cover artist Larry Elmore. They talked back and forth and what we got in return was a trilogy to rival Star Wars (IMHO) I rarely re-read books, because I try to read new ones as much as possible, but I've read the Sovereign Stone trilogy numerous times and enjoyed it more each time.

1. Wheel of Time
Are you kidding? You honestly need to be told about this world? Shame on you, go buy the books and get started you woolheaded sheepherder.

© 2010 Paul Velora


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazingly enough despite my high urination and extended elocution, I've heard of none of these. Mea culpa.

Woolhead the Hirsuite
Shepard and Sheep Botherist

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
1 Review
Added on November 14, 2010
Last Updated on November 14, 2010

Author

Paul Velora
Paul Velora

Frederick, CO



About
I wanna write... ...Everything, poetry, plays, operas, shows, movies, songs, ditties, motto's, hell ingredient lists if I have to. I want to be so wrapped up in words that they ooze out of my pores.. more..

Writing
Anxious Anxious

A Poem by Paul Velora


The Vale The Vale

A Story by Paul Velora