Living Somewhere Between Confusion and Chaos

Living Somewhere Between Confusion and Chaos

A Poem by Paza

 

A friend asks “how are things?”

Innocent query, born of mild curiosity.

How do you answer the question?

Do you put on your happy face and simply say “fine?”

 
Just what does “fine” mean?

The kids are fine, but busy with their own lives now and you're alone most of the time.

The husband is fine, but hates his job and has a female friend he won’t discuss with you.

The parents are fine, but Dad’s business is failing and they are too old to start over.

The job is fine, but you have way too much work on your desk that you just don’t feel like doing.

The health is fine, as long as you take the meds, but those extra pounds just won’t go away.

 

A sense of boredom and unease has settled over your soul

A sense that there should be “something more”

A sense of guilt that you’re not content with what is

A sense of longing for something that you cannot have

A sense of regret for things you know you should have done differently

 

So, how do you answer the friend who quite innocently asks “how are things?”

You put on your happy face and simply say “fine.”

© 2012 Paza


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
*cough* menopause *cough*. I'm sorry the word just kept being yelled into my head; it does make sense though, women tend to look at their indifferent kids when going through that and wishing they weren't grown up, there's no more idea that another child can arrive and give meaning to things anymore, it could be viewed as a recurring theme if you look at things with that idea in mind...Hope I'm not saying things that should be kept to myself here...ah well, there's probably an edit review button somewhere if things go wrong.

Anyways good work, I was rather touched by some points I tend to take at heart.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i love this poem. so very true, i can relate. "fine" is an automatic answer, no matter what is happening deep inside us. it is something everyone can relate to at some point in their lives, when life has become mundane & seems to only be spiraling down hill. beautiful deep write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is touching and well written, what strikes me the most is the sincerity
and word choice, as well as the form and imagery, a true telling of life and
living, and wanting, the depth is really nicely expressed, beautiful job.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

565 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2008
Last Updated on January 13, 2012

Author

Paza
Paza

About
I'm a woman, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a lover, a friend...I could be the woman next door, you never know. more..

Writing
Dried Up Dried Up

A Poem by Paza



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


armchair armchair

A Poem by jkhatz


Avoidence Avoidence

A Poem by James