Let Me Go

Let Me Go

A Story by Kayliee
"

The spirit of a young girl is crushed after the death of her mother. After fleeding from the funeral, she lets out the pain and agony that had been eating at her soul since she heard the news.

"

    I hear nothing but the sounds of my pounding feet, and my heavy breaths for air. I run; I run in the black shoes that pinch at my toes, making my feet sore and covered in blisters. I hold my skirts up high so that I do not stumble upon them, as one weight-less foot carries on after the other. I carry on as my stomach starts to sicken; as I feel something being forced up from deep within my body. And then, I can't take it anymore.

     I topple over the root of a tree, and I fall to my knees. I am doubled over, and I choke out something foul smelling from the back of my mouth. Vomit. That's what it is. I vomit whatever meal I ate only hours ago, wanting myself to be no part of it--and what it carries. I empty my stomach, until nothing but clear liquid escapes from within me.

      And then I take off. I hold my skirts up even higher, until the leaves of the tree branches above form a canopy over my head. I know that I need to stop. I know this when my lungs abruptly scream for air. They wail as my heart sides with them, pounding against my rib cage; pounding at me until it hurts.

      "Fine!" My words come out as merely a whisper. I show mercy to my selfish organs and stop, and I hit my back against the rough bark of a tree. I know that I have run at least ten kilometers, though I feel as though she still pulls at me. Dragging me into the grief and sorrow I do not wish to feel. But she proves to be too strong.

       A sob escapes my mouth, and I push the heels of my palms to my eyes, pleading for the tears to stop. My nose runs, and I use the sleeve of my black dress to wipe it. Streams of water slip through my palms, and race down my arm.

        My fingers take hold of a large rock, and I throw it into the mount of a tree. Antagonistic, I smile. The rock hits the side of a bird's nest, its force causing it to jerk up. A bird flaps its wings, and escapes to a safer place. I lost my mother, and so will her young.

       A gentle wind caresses my face, and the feel reminds me of her. I search for another rock; I search for anything that could lead to damage. I pound my fists against the tree, and a terrible sound pierces my ears. It takes me only a moment to realize that the sound is coming from me. I feel as if my whole body screams as I do. I feel the burns in my muscles; the rawness of my throat. No--it is more than that. I feel myself as though I am being lifted, as though I am no longer within my heavy body. I welcome the feeling, as the screeching sound carries on.

       But then I am taken down. Familiar arms wrap around my body, and I hear the rigid breathing of his breath in my ear. We are both on the floor, entangled with each other. He held me as he did when I was nothing but a mere child: calming me; protecting me. He has shown no such affection is such a long period of time, that I had forgotten how much I loved it.

        Together we sob; we sob over the woman we loved. Our hearts beating as one; our breathing in rhythm with one another. Together we grieve; father and child. 

         She still pulls at me; so strongly that she makes it hard for me to breathe. I feel my father's rough hand in my hair, gently stroking it with his fingers.

         She will not let go. No; no I know she won't. She will tug at me for the rest of my days, and I don't know if I can take it. Though my father holds on to my petite figure; he holds on to me for strength. If I go, he will go too--who knows how far the chain will go. I have to hold on, even if she does not let me go. I have to; I must. Otherwise, she will not be the only one leaving this world behind.

       

© 2012 Kayliee


Author's Note

Kayliee
This was an idea that had just popped into my head. I hope you enjoy, and please tell me what you thought. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really well written,like no joke, it's awesome! I seriously love how you write, but be sure to double check your work. In the beginning of the story you have a few typos, and minor errors :) Again well done! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


very nicely written

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so descriptive, it really makes me feel like I'm there experiencing all the emotions. I think this is just so beautifully written

Posted 11 Years Ago


so sad… and yet beautiful. Very well written, and from the heart. I love how you captured such raw emotion with your words. I look forward to reading more from you. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awww, this is soo sad, but the ending is so sweet! :D You wrote from the daughter's perspective beautifully. you can just tell of how deeply grieved she is from the loss of her mother. I know I would be that bad, if not worse if I lost my mother. Great story! keep up the writing! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I absolutely loved this. Like, it's seriously amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautifully written, and the flow and concept were very nice. I like that it was from the daughter's perspective, and how you described the nagging feeling that is had when someone passes away, like they are physically holding you back. I loved it, very good story.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012

Author

Kayliee
Kayliee

About
Hellloo! Welcome to my profile! Please, sit down, flluff up a pillow, and do anything to get comfy. Now, I would offer you some tea or hot chocolate, but then that would mean that I would have to get .. more..

Writing
Finding a Home Finding a Home

A Story by Kayliee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..