Don't let them colors fade

Don't let them colors fade

A Story by Lonely Islander
"

One of my first writings in WC

"

Don’t let them colors fade

'Now green, to restore some of the peace in my life', my heart said as it led my paintbrush into the big dollop of green. I laughed as i thought about what i just said. Peace, is that even possible in this world? That is just possible in my paintings.

 

I slowly ran the paintbrush as my heart led me. It was a picture of a tree and around it were more trees but this one stood with its head held high while the others were stunted. It represented me. The other short ones- they represented the doctors, engineers and the army officers that my dad talked about. I chuckled and said ' look at that ,dad, i am bigger than them'.

 

Yes, i talk to myself.I don't have anyone else to talk to. Dad says i am a disgrace. 'Being the daughter of a military officer, you waste your time in rubbish' he would say. He gets me home-schooled because he does not want his colleagues to know what a wasted, little piece of s**t his daughter is.

 

Sometimes when i go out, i see the neighbors staring at me like i am some unknown creature. I don't accuse them, i hardly ever go out. I am more than happy with my paintbrush, I can spend days just working over the same picture. I just wished someone would know. Someone could teach me. Someone could tell me how to make it better. Someone who...

 

I heard the door slam. Dad was home. Then some footsteps and there he was. I saw his face getting red and his knuckles turning white. I found it really interesting- even the human body plays with colors.

'You should be studying', he slowly whispered, his voice shaking.

'I can see you had a fight with somebody. why don't you go take some rest? I'll make you some tea', i slowly said, still not putting the paintbrush down.

 

Then he got really angry, like too much angry. The next thing i knew he pushed me aside, took the picture from the canvas and threw it with such force that it slid to one corner of the room. I stared at the picture. It was like someone had thrown my child away like that. I got used to the humiliation but when he did something to my paintings, it felt as if someone was cutting my heart out with a butter knife.

He pointed his finger right at me, his hands shaking and his face still red. 'You'll throw this rubbish away and you will start studying. And if you don't, you obnoxious dumb little piece of s**t, i swear..',he was looking for words i guess..

' What will you do dad? What?Can't you just provide my food for one more year? I'll move out then. I don't ask for anything. I've been wearing the same clothes for three years..three f*****g years. And i still don't ask for anything. Did I ever ask for your love? You've always ignored me ever since mom left. The last time you hugged me was when i was seven. And I never said anything, never!' I was crying then. I had never cried since seven, when mom left, when dad became the cruel man that he is now, when my life changed.

'Why do you hate me so much? I never bothered you with my painting. And why can't you appreciate it,huh? Look at Leonardo Da Vinci, look at Rabindranath, look at all the people who are famous because of their paintings. Aren't they human beings? Are they aliens dad?' i screamed. I had never let my heart out like this. 

Dad just stared at me with a cold look. He was not shaking now, he was much calmer. Then as if nothing happened, he said in a calm voice,'Just one more year and then i don't know you'.

Well there you go, I've made my food arrangement. He left the room, slamming the room behind him. I wiped my tears out, i felt relieved. It was like a 80 pound stone was lifted from my heart. He spoke out his mind and so did I. Now that he made me aware of his intentions I could prepare myself for that. No I'm not talking about the pain, there was some kind of anti-venom around my heart. It had stopped feeling hurt and insulted long time back.

 

I looked at the picture lying at one corner of the room. I slowly walked to it as I picked it up as lovingly as a mother picks up her child. No, he had not caused any damage. I put it  back in my canvas and started painting again. I sighed. I am back in peace. I am back to paradise.

 

© 2012 Lonely Islander


Author's Note

Lonely Islander
If you have read this before, just ignore it. if you haven't, let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a nice piece, but I particularly loved the beginning, when the character was in her own peaceful world painting. "I slowly led my paintbrush as my heart led me." She seems so simple and honest and gentle, and with that you immediately make her relatable, you make it much easier for me to feel for her situation. Nice job! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
wow... this touches me for i paint and its always a escape for me... i can totally relate to the story for my father too doesn't care that i paint not the same on the story... he just do nothing... i can spend hours on a painting never noticing the time and i enjoyed its peace like how you describe on your story...

a heart-breaking story...
wonderful!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lonely Islander

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Pax and i am glad that you could connect to it...i have seen some of your p.. read more
Pax

11 Years Ago

Your most welcome
and for the mean time no... I missed it already.... i don't have my private .. read more
Lonely Islander

11 Years Ago

Ok..but if u ever come of up with one,make sure you put it here:-):-):-D.
I loved it. Like the other user commented its very descriptive. I love the way you lead the person through the father's emotions and the calmness/wit of the girl. I don't know if you noticed it but there are a few grammatical errors (and trust me I'm no better than you when it comes to that) other than that keep writing. I'd like to read more of your stuff here (and I will once I finish this post xD)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lonely Islander

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much...that really means a lot:-):-):-D.
Very descriptive and I like how she was talking about what the objects in her painting represented while she painted it

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lonely Islander

11 Years Ago

thank you:):):D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2012
Last Updated on November 16, 2012
Tags: colors, imprisoned, lonliness, father, pain, artist

Author

Lonely Islander
Lonely Islander

Wonderland



About
Hey guys,this is my other account. I closed my previous account (Hidden Happiness) and opened this one so it might have some of the writings from that account. Writing means a lot to me, more than I .. more..

Writing