A Wall? A Hammer? A Heart.

A Wall? A Hammer? A Heart.

A Story by A Simple Peace Of Writing
"

A story about two people, a boy and a girl, who swear to stop at nothing so the other will stay away from the horrid darkness.

"
Some where in the expansive universe is a forgotten world, one which has no water, no trees, nor sunlight. There is light, but it is unsettling, as a violet aura is illuminated from it. There is life, but not much, in fact, there are only two people in the world. A boy and a girl. Separated by a wall of glass, stretching endlessly in all directions. The boy wore brown cargo shorts, with a white tee-shirt and a vest matching his bottoms. He also had a pair of goggles, nestling on top of his shaggy brown hair. The only thing that wasn’t his clothing that he owned was a trusty hammer in his right hand. He never remembered why he had it, nor did he know why he would ever need it. It never stayed on his mind long though. The girl was a cute young lady, a brunette whose hair falling just barely past her chin. Her clothing was just as simple as the boy’s, wearing only white tank-top and green shorts; nothing covering her feet. Every day, the boy would watch the girl who lived on the other side of the glass, smiling at him. The two would share a smile to each other, breathing into the glass and writing something to the other.
It was one day, when the girl wrote to him, “Will you come over here? I wish to hear you.” Wanting to make the girl happy, the boy stood up, bearing his trusty hammer in his hand, and swung at the wall in hope to shatter the glass. It was not fragile though; the glass clanked with the impact of the hammer, and sent the boy away. The boy sat down in defeat, sending a frown to the girl, feeling like he let her down. She kept smiling though, as she wrote to him, “Don’t frown, darkness won’t harm you or your happiness so long as you smile.” Reluctantly, the boy smiled. Was it true though? What if it wasn’t worth it, to act as though everything would be alright? He shook his head, confusing the girl; he gave a great big smile, almost goofy like, making his friend giggle. He laughed as well, though he knew she would never hear. The boy looked down for a moment, his smile fading ever so slightly. The girl knocked on the glass, making him look up. He wrote a message to her, “Do you think our friendship will ever end?” The girl smiled, she started to blush as well. She began writing, giving the boy a message that sent his heart to flutter. She wrote, “So long as we hold each other’s hearts close, keeping them enwrapped with light, we will be together until the end of time and beyond!” And under the message, she drew half of a heart, placed her hand next to it, pressed against the glass. The boy smiled, feeling a tear trying to escape, as he finished the heart and placed his hand over hers.
The next day, the girl was quiet. The boy tried to write whatever he could to her, but she would smile sweetly at him, and then look down with a solemn look, as though something was gravely wrong. That was not all that bothered the boy though, as he compared their spacious rooms, his had more light. The girl was closed into a dim land, darkness trying to capture her. The boy banged on the glass, trying to get her attention, but the girl just looked around, as though skeptical that she was not alone. Darkness wisped around, swirling with a dance of nightmares. The girl was visibly shaking, and the boy banged on the glass louder, yelling as loud as he could, though not a sound making itself through. Finally the darkness left the girl, she was alone again. The boy was some what relaxed, until he noticed how dark the room was still; in fact it seemed a little darker. Then, to his surprise, the girl began to write to him. Each letter stroke seemed to go for years, as he anticipated what the message was. Then his heart sank, as he read the short sentence, “I’m sorry… goodbye.” The boy looked up to the girls face, and saw her smiling sweetly, as a tear fell from her cheek. Then the claws of darkness covered her body, and swept her into a bit of pure black color. The boy didn’t know whose name to scream for, he just screamed friend, as he banged on the glass. Tears streamed down his face swiftly, as he reached for his hammer and slammed it against the glass as hard and fast as he could. He kept hitting it, but making no dent in to it. Once more and the boy fell down, throwing the hammer on the ground, crying into his palms. The words, “I’m sorry… goodbye,” haunted his mind. Why was it all so unfair? His only friend in this forgotten world was gone. He laid back, ready to waste away with what little of the world was left. Then suddenly, something else came back to his head. He remembered the advice that came to him before. “Don’t frown, darkness won’t harm you or your happiness so long as you smile, so long as we hold each other’s hearts close, keeping them enwrapped with light, we will be together until the end of time and beyond!” The boy wanted that promise to be kept, as he sat up, and noticed the heart they drew together was still there. Then as if something was released in his own heart, he picked the hammer up again and swung at the glass. The wall shattered! The whole thing! The boy was free to go anywhere in the world, but he didn’t care for any of it with out his friend. He didn’t know what would be the end result, but he ran into the darkness. Feeling as though time stopped, surrounded by a nightmare of nothingness, he waded through it all. He could see a light in front of him, but as if it was miles away. He kept pushing forward, as the claws of darkness tried to pull him back. He waved them away violently, pushing farther and farther. The light got closer, and it was almost as if he could hear a voice. While he knew only his voice, it seemed familiar. He kept pushing through, trying to get to the end no matter what it led to. The boy saw something come toward him, and he reached out for it, a smile on his face. The claws of darkness tried harder and harder, trying to pull him away from his happiness. As his wish was right in his fingers tips, all vanished. The light vanished, the darkness vanished, there was absolute nothingness.
The boy woke up in a bed, tattered and close to destruction. He looked around the room, noticing a mess covered the entire place, as darkness held it all in place. Was it all a dream? Was all the happiness that came just a false wish? The boy looked through the window, shattered possibly from a rock, as he saw the ocean. Waves crashed against the sand, roaring into the emptiness of the beach. A tear drop fell from the boy’s cheek, as he realized he was nothing more than a foolish child who had dreams that would never come. He jumped out of his bed and ran for the door outside; wanting to run into the ocean, never stop swimming until the end came. Without that girl what was there to live for? As he walked out that door, he hit something. He shook his head and opened his eyes, to see the smile of the brown haired girl, wearing a heart necklace, broken in half. She held out her hand, with another necklace, the other half. The boy took it, completely confused as he looked at her for a long time.

“I don’t get it! I thought the darkness swallowed you whole?”

“It did… but I reached my hand out and was able to grab the light again…”

“Really? What was it? What was it like?”

“It was your hand… it was your smile… it was your heart…”

Jordan Godkin
7/15/2014

© 2014 A Simple Peace Of Writing


Author's Note

A Simple Peace Of Writing
A simple story I wanted to share. This is rather old work and I didn't check much for grammar because I remember wanting to leave it how it was. So, I'm sorry if it might need a little work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on July 15, 2014
Last Updated on July 16, 2014
Tags: shortstory, a wall a hammer a heart, asimplepeaceofwriting, jordan