They didn’t know

They didn’t know

A Poem by Peggy Gildon
"

To all the young adults who dare to try something "new", "different", "dangerous"! Remember it can happen to you, it HAS happened to others, and you are NOT replaceable.

"

 They didn’t know that one choice could result in their death

They didn’t know that this day they would breathe their last breath

 

They didn’t know the dangers of drug use

They didn’t know their organs couldn’t take the abuse

 

They didn’t know how it feels to be free

They didn’t know how to deal with reality

 

They didn’t know their life was out of control

They didn’t know the fear that was in their soul

 

They didn’t know God would carry them home

They didn’t know because they weren’t yet grown

 

Peggy Gildon © 8/2007

 

 

© 2011 Peggy Gildon


Author's Note

Peggy Gildon
Too many new drugs, over the counter medication that kids are using to experience a high! Simple things used for the wrong purpose can and do kill many young adults every single day! We must make them aware that life can be snuffed out JUST LIKE THAT!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is sadly true. My middle child had a spout with drugs. In and out of jail, waking up in strangers homes. It was a difficult time for him and me. I'm just thankful he stopped and grew up. Thank you for sharing this wonderfully written poem. Pumpkin:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

My Dear Writing Friend Peggy,
The thought that ran through my mind was that often those who play with fire feel they are terminally unique. That they will not get caught in the mousetrap. This is why it is so important that those of us, who have escaped the flames and have come to realize the truth concerning addiction, are active in twelve step programs. We reach out and share our experience, strength, and hope with those living in the Hellish trap of addiction. We are there to share we had felt we were terminally unique as well and the trap was sprung, but we found a hope that has given us life. Sad to say in Alaska only about 2% who seek help fully surrender and find life. The choices are sober up, get locked up, or covered up. An excellent poem.

Blessings, Bill Laughing-Bear


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's a sad fact of life. Good that you bring it up an start a discussion on it. A role poetry must play in society

Posted 12 Years Ago


So many young folks don't take dangers seriously. You see it in their driving, their social life, and many other places. I was very reckless when young and thought I was superman. Certainly, nothing I ingested could ever hurt me. Thankfully, not all are like that. Surviving to a time in which we know better is a miracle, and strong evidence of the existence of guardian angels. Some of us may have more than one, in fact.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's very hard to convince our youth of anything since we are just old and know nothing! They tend to only listen to each other and that can be a very dangerous place for them to get their information. I wish there could be more youth based warning forums where bad experiences and good information would come from others their own age, maybe they would listen a little more. It is a very sad situation and a very dangerous one. I loved your poem, I hope it will get to those who need to, and are willing to, hear it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Drug abuse is such a scary thing. I wish there was an easier way to drill the facts into the younger brains of today instead of witnessing people dying from overdoses. Maybe sending this poem around will get some attention :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is sadly true. My middle child had a spout with drugs. In and out of jail, waking up in strangers homes. It was a difficult time for him and me. I'm just thankful he stopped and grew up. Thank you for sharing this wonderfully written poem. Pumpkin:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2011
Last Updated on June 10, 2011

Author

Peggy Gildon
Peggy Gildon

Tamarac, FL



About
I have lived in South Florida for 23 years I am originally from Southern Michigan. I have two grown children and four adorable granddaughters. 10, 7, 6, and 3 who spend most weekends with me. I am i.. more..

Writing
Crack up Crack up

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon


chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..