Did Angela Merkel desrve a Nobel Peace Prize?

Did Angela Merkel desrve a Nobel Peace Prize?

A Story by OCT
"

I make an argument for Angela Merkel

"

Just ask anyone with half an education, the world isn’t flat, and ask those same people, whether there exists more than one world at any given moment? That’s right, as children are born here in Australia today, children are also being born in Africa, Europe, in South America, yep, everywhere! We share this one world together.


Immigration is a big topic at the moment, Trump is preparing to build a wall at the border it shares with Mexico, Italy, Malta and Europe are tussling with refugees who are escaping poverty and hardship in Africa, Australia weighs up its intake of immigrants as concerns rise of a loss of employment and culture, everywhere there are issues as people from the poor nations seek better lives in ‘the West.’


The global population is a big issue for everyone. Estimates say the world can sustain itself with a human population of 10 billion, but as the above concerns show, we are already facing challenges and witnessing heartache, 2 and a half billion short of that number. Roughly 700 million go to bed hungry each night, that’s reason enough to seek greater opportunity elsewhere in the world. Wealthy nations can’t simply put up barriers and leave scores of people in desperation, history would forever show a stain on the face of those making such a decision.


Now the Arab Spring was a momentous moment for the Middle East and the world, President al Assad can be blamed, alongside other factors, for the civil war that engulfed Syria, which has so far claimed over 500,000 lives. No one could blame the millions whom have been forced to flee the country though, yet where was everyone to go? Although provided by human traffickers, all channels led to Europe.


Let me paint the picture; a million people stand stranded in Southern Europe in the cold of Winter, a crisis beyond measure, with still millions left in Lebanon, Jordan and Syria’s surrounding countries. Nations such as the US make paltry attempts to alleviate the dilemma, making commitments of taking in 10,000. With a courageous decision however, President Angela Merkel chose to accept the desperate refugees into Germany, where others were putting up fences. It was a true show of compassion and humanity. She surely deserved the Nobel Prize for Peace.


© 2018 OCT


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on July 12, 2018
Last Updated on July 14, 2018
Tags: #peace #prize #nobel #syria #imm

Author

OCT
OCT

About
I don't have any writing friends and wanted to share my work. Hopefully, will receive some feedback more..

Writing
Afghanistan Afghanistan

A Poem by OCT


The times The times

A Poem by OCT