I Am

I Am

A Poem by Michelle Coleman

I Am

I am a fierce advocate for life. A lion whose padded feet feel the pull of distant lands and adventures yet unknown; Whose heart swells with awe and appreciation over small acts of thoughtless kindness and beauty; Whose rumbling roar is filled with an ache, a longing to break free of the tireless monotony.

I wonder at the potential of a gutted school bus with its skeletal walls begging to become the interior canvas of my future home on wheels. I wonder which roads will call to me first and who will have the courage to leave their comfortable lives long enough to experience the soul-quenching thirst of spontaneous exploration.

I hear the gusty wind brush against the panels outside as it flies through the canyons and buttes along the sun kissed desert floor. I hear the rain pound its staccato rhythm upon the metal surface above our heads while we dance wildly to its fervent beat.

I see forests so dense that their trees disappear into blackness and bridges so massive they seem to climb right up into the sky. I see twisted, gnarled trees heavy with Spanish moss standing guard over a placid river.

I want to be free of the "American Scream Dream." To decide for myself what is a fulfilling, joyous life. I want to surround myself with an unorthodox family who thrives on breaking the mold.

I am a fierce advocate for life.

I pretend to believe that this safe predictable routine is enough for me. That my collection of pretty things, my memory foam bed and my bike that takes me through these interest-free streets will somehow make up for the fact that I am not living my dream.

I feel contemptuous of those who would steal the gypsy in me. To tie her up in chains and toss her into an old forgotten cell. I feel angry at myself for allowing them to succeed to some degree. I feel trapped and ungrounded in this unchanging world.

I touch the once polished walls of my now dusty, flaking chamber. My fingers trace the messages of elders and peers scratched into the surface dictating who I should and should not be.

I worry that their lies have taken root in me.

I cry when I see loved ones embrace after too much time apart and when animals are given a second loving chance. I weep at the thought of being so direly missed. For someone to hold their hand out to me.

I am a fierce advocate for life.

I understand how much courage it takes to recognize the suffocating nature of living up to the status quo. And I understand how much is sacrificed for the benefit of devoting oneself to the righteousness of old fashioned American success; how very difficult that first step away from normalcy can be.

I say "Follow your bliss" wherever it may lead. And if we happen to be headed in the same direction for awhile, I will offer you a bed and a place to sit and eat in my cozy palace on wheels. Stay for as long or as little as you like. You will always find a friend in me. And when we part ways, let us rejoice for the time spent together in the hope that our paths may one day converge once again.

For I dream of roads both paved and gravel beckoning with beams of light. Steering me off course to lead me toward places that will help feed and heal my battered soul. To introduce me to those who will invite me into a world of endless possibilities and creativity.

I do my best to place my intentions in the world so that my dreams may manifest. When obstacles leap out in front of me, I either tear them down or build a bridge. I work hard at recruiting appropriate companions for the journeys ahead. And when at first I fail, I try again.

I hope one day to look back without regrets, knowing that I have allowed my soul to sing its tale of love and woe. I hope that you will remember and cherish our shared adventures captured and released.

I am a fierce advocate for life. A lion whose padded feet feel the pull of distant lands and adventures yet unknown; Whose heart swells with awe and appreciation over small acts of thoughtless kindness and beauty; Whose rumbling roar is filled with an ache, a longing to break free of the tireless monotony.

© 2015 Michelle Coleman


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the energy and the drive of the words.
"I say "Follow your bliss" wherever it may lead. And if we happen to be headed in the same direction for awhile, I will offer you a bed and a place to sit and eat in my cozy palace on wheels. Stay for as long or as little as you like. You will always find a friend in me. And when we part ways, let us rejoice for the time spent together in the hope that our paths may one day converge once again. "
I liked the use of repetition and strong description to make your point. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Coyote! 😄
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
miss you, michelle. dan when we were friends?



Posted 7 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

7 Years Ago

Awww. Sorry. I stepped away from writing for a minute, but I am getting back on track. Thank you. �.. read more
you are a path-breaker you are a trend-setter..you are a person who matters
thank you for your inspiring write


Posted 7 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

7 Years Ago

Awwww... Thank you so much. My heart just swelled a bit. ☺️
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

7 Years Ago

:) yes its just that way
Michelle Coleman

7 Years Ago

You're awesome 😄
Very insightful and thought provoking... I like the way this poem speaks of so many gripping thoughts... The way it sets it's tone with a profound message is absolutely amazing... Prose poem at its best with superb use of vocabulary... Well done...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

7 Years Ago

What an amazing review. Thank you so much. 😄
A first step away from normalcy. It sends shivers down my spine...

Away from the character lie, away from the great scheme of things, away from society's poor attempt to make us believe we are not mere mortals but cultural heroes in some way.

Have you seen the movie Wild from Sheryl Strayed? How wild it is to let life be...

Love it. Could you read my story Angst.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

8 Years Ago

Thank you, and no. I have not seen the movie. Seeing you relate my poem to her story makes me want t.. read more
Philip Muls

8 Years Ago

The book Wild is even better than the movie. And that coming from a guy...
Michelle Coleman

8 Years Ago

Hahahaha what, guys don't read? I will read the book, then. 😄
In your piece I saw an number of individual thoughts brought together to create one piece. Yet you were still able to make it one connected flow. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

8 Years Ago

Thank you will, Willard. This was a fun piece to create.
Now that is a great self introduction...extremely well written piece of art.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Aww thank you. 😊
Many wonderful lines in this wondrous write...Bravo..........

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Sami 😊
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome..:).........
Beautiful!...Apparently, I have to submit at least 25 characters...I loved it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Adam. You do realize you said the same exact thing as RJ. 😉
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
RJ
Beautiful!...Apparently, I have to submit at least 25 characters...I loved it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thanks RJ. 😊
Strong and powerful, I like the lines which are beautiful and trying to find dream and meaning in life. "a longing to break free of the tireless monotony of life. Wonderful Michelle

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Sameer. 😊

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

983 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015

Author

Michelle Coleman
Michelle Coleman

ID



About
Stories have always been a part of my life, whether I have been reading, writing, day dreaming, or experiencing them. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher told me that I would be a writer one day af.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..