To Sarah, Afraid

To Sarah, Afraid

A Poem by Phibby Venable

To Sarah, Afraid

A daily effort at domestic bliss,
economizing family, food, and kin.
She saw too sharply idealistic dreams
consumed in welfare programs and regrets,
too hard to live alone and too complex.
Her children wanted things she could not get.
Her trade union lay in her husband's hands.
It was a priviledge that he bragged about.
Her hands were tied with duties and self doubt.
One would think a happy ending lay
inside the private empire of her life,
but no such luck, she had a fear of men,
and agencies and bills that rumbled in.
Her mind had regulated her desires
into a vacant room of spider webs.
There was no tree more frozen by the ice,
than Sarah when she fingertipped her life,
than Sarah when she ate her humble pie
in silent lowered looks that hid her eyes.

© 2010 Phibby Venable


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh, Phibby, what life does to women sometimes, and you draw it so pain-stakingly

you are a wonder

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the way you don't flinch from your subjects, Phibby. You look them straight in the eye and heart and see them as human beings, as individuals. you write, in essence, about the people Van Gogh would have painted, were he alive today. In this poem, you are describing the cycle of hell that most of my family was trapped in. You are writing about my neighbors, my aunts, my cousins, my best friend, my grandmother, my mom; and, for a stretch of time, almost myself. Alas had we but a way to awaken these women, but they must do that themselves. Some few do... many never know they have that chance.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A subject close to me and one I have touched on in my own work. You have done the subject well and conveyed the inner aspects of Sarah as well as the outer. Much goes on behind closed doors which we know little about still. Thank you for sharing your fine talent..

Posted 14 Years Ago


The power of men over women! Not so complete these days as it used to be, but I'm sure it still exists in places where the woman is too timid to strike out on her own. One would hope that the husband would show compassion and support to the woman who had borne his children, but sadly, sometimes not. A good piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poor Sarah and her humble pie...you paint a picture of too many women out there struggling underneath a domineering man and trapped by fears. I was once such a woman ... but luckily I learnt that was not a life to live and strength and will blossomed so I could finally take flight. Although I didn't have kids to contend with...Excellent job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


A tender and touching pen-portrait of this sad woman.... Conveys so well the lack of self-esteem and the struggle of such a person...

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the 'fingertipped her life'. As I have read in yours, you create beautiful exact imagery with your careful use of descriptives. This will really engage a reader as a life encapsulated in so few words.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This has the ultimate feel of truth. Very close truth spoken in an almost narrative way. Excellent.

Posted 14 Years Ago


To be this incisive is one thing. To be able to capture it in words is another. To capture it in these words, well...

Posted 14 Years Ago


I've been through an unimaginable amount of experience as a direct result of being poor and psychologically abused..but I refuse to stop dreaming and living and learning..I'm a screw up for the most part, but I am unimaginably grateful for every experience I've had. I'm patient w/ those who are afraid to dream..I try to get them on my side, because I'm afraid too.
I love the phrase "private empire of her life"
You have an exquisite way of juxtaposing such phrases w/ natural prose..good story telling. Awesome Phibby

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 15, 2010
Last Updated on February 15, 2010

Author

Phibby Venable
Phibby Venable

abingdon, VA



About
http://youtu.be/25XE-BHGvWI http://youtu.be/B2klgDKMUq0 I live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Although my passion is poetry, I recently published a novel called, Women of the Round Tabl.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..