"The Rat" part 3

"The Rat" part 3

A Story by Philip Smith
"

Another little piece of my Rat

"
Lawrence Kolb had been in charge of the Institute for Alternative Thinking since he himself started it over thirty years ago. It’s main focus was to look outside the box of normal everyday thinking. Kolb originally from East Germany, defected to Canada back in 1974.

While in Germany he headed up an organization that was looking into a series of unusual killings along the Berlin Wall. The victims had been murdered, literally torn apart and in some cases partially eaten. Of course the East blamed the West, but Kolb knew that there was more to it then simple random killings. He approached his superiors and told him his theory that the killings were the work of an animal. To prove his point he introduced photos and film of the victims. He pointed out what looked like claw and bite marks as well as partially eaten organs. His superiors naturally told him he was working to hard and need a rest. That alone told Kolb he was on to something. At no time had the Communist run organization ever cared about it’s employees. One day while sitting with colleagues at a local pub Kolb told his co-workers his thoughts on the killings. Most laughed and told him he was crazy. Except one, Franz Martz who said it could be possible for an unknown creature or even a human that could be responsible. When the evening broke up Martz decided to walk his friend home.

“Lawrence you must forget what was said tonight.” Martz said grabbing hold of his friends arm.


“I have known you many years Franz there is something you are not telling me, no.” Kolb said looking back at Martz.


“Please, Lawrence promise me you will not pursue this in any other direction but a normal homicide.”


“What is it Franz, what are you not telling me.”


Looking around Martz continued “Not here, tomorrow after work meet me at the Zoo near the primate exhibit.” without another word Franz Martz walked off leaving Kolb even more intrigued then ever before.

The minute Lawrence Kolb arrived at work the next day he knew something was wrong. He noticed that East Germany’s notorious secret police Stasi had set up interview tables in the cafeteria. His co-workers looked like frighten cattle awaiting slaughter. This was why he hated his own country. He noticed his boss point towards him while talking with one of the Stasi Police officers.



“Lawrence, have you heard the news about Herr Martz.” a fellow worker asked.


“What has happened Sasha.” Kolb asked, but knowing what had happened. My god what is going on. What is all this about he thought.

“Herr Martz was killed last night on his way home.” she said. Nodding towards the police she continued. 


“They said it was a gang of hoodlums trying to rob him, poor Franz.” Kolb glanced toward the police and noticed that they too were starring at him. He also noticed that one now was on his way over towards him. 
Fear gripped Kolb as a tall, blond haired man who appeared to be no more that 40 years of age moved toward him.


“You are Lawrence Kolb?” it was not a question, but a demand. He hated the Stasi and their arrogant way. 


“My name is Abel Eberhart. I am with the Ministry for State Security. I have some questions I’m going to be asking you. Come this way.” not a request, but again a demand.

© 2012 Philip Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very well written caught my attention. good job

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very intriguing. I'm definitely interested in what is going on. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 16, 2012
Last Updated on February 16, 2012

Author

Philip Smith
Philip Smith

Small town in Texas, TX



About
Just learning this trade and loving it. My writing style could best be described as all over the map. I play with adventure, paranormal/supernatural, thriller, to even a children's series. None as yet.. more..

Writing