A Prison

A Prison

A Chapter by Phoenix Ashes

Chapter One: A Prison

                It was the beginning of summer and all was prosperous in the Kingdom of Owltania. The crops were in surplus, crime was low, taxes were high, and the King couldn’t have been any happier. King Roberts III was his name. A short line of Roberts before him and it was seeing none would follow him, for his wife, Queen Helena, had only ever produced a daughter. Flora was the daughter of the King and Queen; she would turn eighteen in the winter.

                The Queen was not too old to have more children, but after years of only Stillbirths she and the King took a break. Now, however, King Roberts’s patience was running thin. Who would follow him after his death?

                A dream the King had the night before had brought this panic to his mind. He shared the dream that morning with his wife and daughter.

                “Helena, Flora, something troubles my mind.” the King began.

                “Oh dear, it isn’t the eggs is it? Not again. Chauncey!” the Queen called to her personal servant. “Fetch the cook and tell him that if my Kings eggs are not cook to sheer perfection tomorrow morning there with be hell to pay!”

                “Yes your highness.” Chauncey replied obediently.

                “No Chauncey, come back here- it is not the eggs. I had a dream last night.”

                “It is…common…to have dreams, no need to fret.” Queen Helena said slowly, unsure.

                “No, I mean the dream I had- it brings anguish to my thoughts.” The King explained.

                “What was it about?” Flora asked, not very interested but trying to sound polite to her father’s obvious torment.

                “Yes I was getting to that,” The King said, “I was out for a hunt with the King of Relishe when he shot me with his arrow. I died and having no heir to my throne, the King of Relishe took over Owltania and claimed it as his own.”

                “So…you want us to go to war with Relishe…over a dream?” the Queen suggested, momentarily concerned about her husband’s mental health.

                “Oh heavens no!” My father exclaimed, “We would be pumbled to ash. It would be best to keep our relationship with Relishe peaceful. No, what I was pointing to was why my mind is no longer at ease about your inadequacies of producing me a male heir.” My mother looked briefly offended, but kept her tongue- like all good wives are supposed to.

                “Go on…my dear.” My mother urged.

                “Yes- like I was saying, we must work harder on you giving birth to a son before I die. I believe this dream was a sign from God that you and I must quickly get to work before my time draws any closer.”

                “Don’t say that sweetheart, you will live a long and affluent life and be the most mourned King in all the world when your time comes years from now.” I had a feeling my mother didn’t mean it, but who was I to judge?

                “Who know what tomorrow brings,” Father told her, “I will take not a chance. You will produce me a male heir.”

                I wonder if my father knew that the man’s sperm decides the birth. I had read about it while studying with Madame Liana. Madame Liana was brilliant, but she didn’t let many people know. It wasn’t civilized for woman to act smarter than males, but Madame Liana said that that didn’t mean we couldn’t be.

                “May I be excused?” I asked my parents. Mother nodded and I stood out of my chair and left the breakfast area. I was followed by a guard and Chauncey, as was usual. Chauncey, under my mother’s order, was told to follow me when she wasn’t there. I didn’t mind very much. I had always had a bit of a crush on Chauncey ever since he came, anything more than that, of course, would be unacceptable, but I found myself admiring how handsome and strong he was when I knew he wasn’t looking.

                “Where are you headed this morning, Princess Flora?” Chauncey asked. The guard kept silent, but most guards did, unless spoken to, of course.

                “The Gardens, if that’s alright.” I said with a smile.

                “Outsides off limits this morning Princess, landscapers’ will be arriving shortly.” the guard said.

                “Oh, well then, I’m not sure.” I said.

                You’d think in a castle there would be endless possibilities of things to do, but there really was not. I found myself bored on most occasions and only when the town entertainers came did anyone in my home really laugh.

                “When do the Duke and Duchess arrive?” I asked Chauncey, following the familiar halls to my room.

                “Tomorrow night, as is scheduled.” Chauncey recited back.

                We reached my bedroom and I turned facing Chauncey. He was taller than me, and quite a bit older, but I could tell he like me too. Too bad nothing could ever happen between us.

                “Are you thinking that you could follow me into my bedroom Chauncey?” I teased, leaning against the door.

                “Only if I was a lucky man, madam.” he replied, “Then again, to be merely standing in your presence is an honor.”

                “Well who knows, I may not be safe in my room, perhaps you should accompany me.” I said. Chauncey smiled.

                “That would be inappropriate, Ms. Roberts.” Chauncey told me with a smirk that told me he didn’t care.

                “Oh, of course. I wouldn’t want to compromise your position.” I told him. He frowned.

                “Of course.” he said.

                “Good day.” I opened the door to my room and closed myself inside it.

                Chauncey and the guard stood outside Flora’s room.

                “I’d appreciate it if you didn’t tell anyone about that.” Chauncey said, not looking at the guard.

                “Not a word.” the guard replied.

                “I mean, I could lose my job and probably a lot more- you know the King.” Chauncey continued, “What does he expect though, having a daughter like her. Likes to play with my mind she does; can’t say I don’t like it though.”

                The guard was silent and continued to stare straight ahead.

                “So, are you new?” Chauncey asked, “Don’t think I’ve seen you around.”

                “I usually work done near the cellar.” the guard said.

                “Really?” Chauncey asked, “How is it down there?”

                “Cold.” the guard answered.

                “Ah, of course.” Chauncey said, “That’s why I took a job as an assistant. It’s a lot warmer up here in the castle.” The guard was silent, so Chauncey figured it was the end of their conversation.

                I always loved being alone, but I rarely was. In the morning I was awoken by servants who were there when I bathed and dressed. I should be happy though since my dresses weren’t exactly easy to get into, nor were they comfortable. I was escorted to breakfast after dressing then taken to my lesson with Madame Liana. After that lunch was served with my mother and sometimes my father if he wasn’t too busy. After lunch mother and I took a walk in the garden. After that I would usually have an etiquette lesson that mother supervised or the two of us would play chess or something thought provoking. After that dinner was served and after that I was off to bed. That had been my life every day for the last nearly eighteen years.

                When I did get time “alone” I was guarded outside the door. A castle can just as easily become a prison- this was mine. I wanted to see the world. I wanted to just step outside these walls really. I’ve only ever been to the nearest town and that was for a press conference. I couldn’t talk to anyone. I just stood in the background like a good girl, pretending to look at my father as though all his ideas for improving the country were wonderful and that he was some type of god.

                Knock

                Knock

                Knock

                “Come in.” I called. The guard who had been waiting outside my room walked in. Chauncey was outside looking confused. “Is something the matter?”

                “Yes, I’m tired of waiting.”

                “I’m sorry Princess,” Chauncey cut in, “Get out of her room now!”

                The guard turned to Chauncey and pushed him, quite easily, out the door, slamming it when he was out.

                “Excuse me but-”

                “Shut your mouth.” the guard said, walking towards me.

                “How dare you! Guards!” I yelled.

                “It’s only me and you, love, now- don’t scream- or things will get a lot worse.” he smiled, it was disgusting.

                I tried running towards the door but he blocked me and just as I was about to scream he covered my mouth with his hand and pulled me close to him.

                “Shhh…” he whispered in my ear, “The kid was right, you are very lovely.” I struggled in his arm, but his grip was too strong. “Now all we have to do is wait for the single and-”

                BOOM

                I heard a fire shot out in the distance, and then a woman’s high pitch screams.

                “Ah, let’s go your highness.” the Imposter pulled me toward the window when-

                “Unhand her!” Chauncey burst through the doors, a sword in one hand and two guards behind him, “There’s the imposter!”

                “Put your weapons down or I kill the girl!” I felt something cold hit the side of my neck. I knew what it was but I didn’t want to look.

                I could feel my heart in my ears and I began to sweat. I looked at Chauncey and he looked at me.  He dropped his sword. The guards did the same.

                “Pistols too.” the imposter said, “I know now what you have on you.”

                The guards reached into their under layers and threw their pistols onto the floor.

                “Very good.” the imposter said, “Now, you will stay there and lovely Flora and I will go on a little trip.”

                The imposter led me to my window, looking at the guards and Chauncey the entire time.

                “Opened the window.” he told me. I reached around and unclipped the lock, sending the window flying open.

                The imposter turned away and looked down the window. We were not very high up, but it wasn’t a jump I’d wish to make.

                “Ahhhhhh!” Chauncey came flying at the imposter. Startled, the imposter released me, fighting Chauncey off of him. Chauncey threw punches left and right. The imposter was knocked aside and the guards came flying in, grabbing me as if I was a bag of air.

                “Trespasser! In the royal princesses chambers! Trespasser!” one of the guards yelled. I still heard Chauncey and the imposter fighting behind me, but I was hurried out of the room so quick I didn’t know what had become of it.

                Guards, oceans of them, sprinted into my chambers just as I was rushed out.

                “We must get you to the safe chamber.” the guard told me over the loud yells and shouts.

                Bang!

                I jumped but could not stop running. I tried looking behind me, watching the guards run in the direction of my room, but I saw nothing. Who was that shot fired at and who did it hit?

                      *~*~*~*~*~

                “My darling!” mother rushed towards me, grabbing me in her arms and rocking me as she cried, “Thank heavens you’re alright!”

                “How did this happen?” my father looked angry as he spoke to the guards that brought me into the windowless, dungeon-like safe chamber. “How could you put my daughter in such danger?”

                “Your majesty, the man was an imposter- he was disguised as a guard, your highness.” one of the guards said.

                “Who was watching my daughter when this happened? Who besides the guard?” my father commanded.

                “Chauncey…your majesty, the imposter had thrown him out of the room and he ran to us who were just around the corner, we left immediately to rescue her, but he had a pistol to her neck.” my mother cried louder. “Chauncey attacked the imposter when he turned his head, and we were able to get the princess out.”

                “Next time I was five- no, ten guards watching my daughter and my Queen! No harm shall come to them! No one gets in or out until ever y servant, guard, and mouse is interrogated by me. No imposter shall ever set foot inside my castle again!” My father banged his fist against the table standing beside him. “I want that man interrogated and find out who he is working for! I don’t care how-get it out of him! Do you hear me?”

                “Yes your highness.” the two guards said in usion.

                “Send the word.” my father said, sitting in a large, comfy chair on the other side of the room. The two guards bowed and left up the stairs and out the one door.

                “How could this happen?” My mother sobbed, “What did the man want?”

                “He wanted to take me.” I told her, suffocating from her hold.

                “Where is he from?” my father asked.

                “He did not say.” I told him, trying to recall.

                “Thank God Chauncey was there, or he could have taken her.” my mother said, wiping her eyes. I realized I was shaking. What was the bang I had heard? Who got shot? Hopefully it was the imposter. I didn’t approve of kidnap, obviously, but what my father’s order proved that something worse was on his way- better off he’d be if he were dead.”

                “Inconceivable…Horrific…Irritating…” were a few words I heard my father mumble from the corner as he stared at the stone walls. I could tell he was angry and it made me scared. My father never did rational things when angry. Then again, who does?

               



© 2011 Phoenix Ashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this was awesome! i loved the action! reading on! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Added on January 1, 2011
Last Updated on January 1, 2011


Author

Phoenix Ashes
Phoenix Ashes

GA



About
My name is Brianna. I'm 16. I live in the United States, Georgia to be more specific. I get random bursts of ideas for stories quite frequently, so I love writing. I've been working on the same story .. more..

Writing