Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens

Chapter Sixteen

I sigh for what must’ve been the hundredth time. I finally come to a conclusion. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO IN THIS CELLAR!!!!! I’m borrrrrrrrrrrrred! This must be the longest time I’ve ever gone without doing anything, besides when I’m sleeping.
“How many more minutes, d’you think, until sunrise?” I ask desperately.
Despite the situation, Pop and Joel start laughing at me.
I scowl and reply crossly, “Now is hardly a time to be laughing, guys. Just answer the question without any remarks or jeers, please.”
“Now is a time for laughing when someone asks such a ridiculous question. Don’t be such a dumb bunny, Mara.”
I am about to retort when Mama cuts in, “Joel, please answer her question without any smack.”
“It’s only been ‘bout an hour, the night’s hardly begun,” He adds under his breath, “dumb bunny.”
“Joel, when my hands are untied, Imma punch you in the head.”
“That’s enough!” Pop says sharply. I bite my tongue.
“Now can we please think of ways to help each other instead of sittin’ here helpless the whole night?”
After a moment of silence, Mama cuts in, “Pop, there ain’t nothing we can do. Our best shot is to wait here until morning. Don’t waste all of your energy now, save it for when we have a chance to actually escape.”
Pop says nothing. I know he doesn’t want to wait any longer. After all, the sooner we can break out of here, the sooner we get to Uncle Henry. But we both know that Mama is more of the strategist than all of us. There’s nothing we can do. 
After waiting for a few minutes, I wiggle onto the damp cellar floor. Laying down takes a lot less energy than sitting up. Before I know it, I drift off to sleep. 
   ***
I wake up with a loud clattering at the cellar door. I glance over and see Mama and Pop are still sleeping. Joel is glancing at the door with wide eyes. The door finally creaks open, and McNeil’s men clamber down the steps. They each grab our wrists and yank us to our feet. We all stumble out of the dark, dank cellar. When we emerge outside, it takes my eyes longer than usual to adjust to the brightness outside. It seems hotter than most days, today. I see McNeil wipe a bead of sweat off his brow and pray that he’s just as uncomfortable as I am. Then, he glances at me and grins nastily. I guess not. That’s what I get for wishing unhappiness to others.
“There’s a surprise in store for you animals!” He takes a moment to look each of us dead in our faces. His gaze reaches me at the end of the line, and I give him my best death glare. I was certain he would be nothing more than a pile of ashes if dirty looks were fireballs.
McNeil crouches down to eye level with me and grabs me chin with his thumb and forefinger.
“What’s the matter, Mara?” He croons, “You don’t like surprises? I’m sure it will be very enjoyable… For me.”
 “You are creepy on so many levels, McNeil!” I spit. I yank my head away from him, in case his awfulness rubs off.
He smiles as if being creepy was an honor, and then mounts his horse. Even the horse has this evil glare that reminds you of its owner.
We get tied to the saddle of the horse again and start walking forward obliviously. I have no idea where we were going, but I’m not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing. We only walk for a few minutes, though, before stopping in front of a giant barn. McNeil heads around back and leaves us with his cronies. After a minute, he comes back in conversation with a portly, balding man.
“So, what’s your merch, Joshua? There’s a lotta people here, and I ain’t got all day. The auction starts at six, ya know.”
“Yes, yes, I know, and your time-consuming blabbering isn’t helping things any. It’s right here.”
The man squints at us for a moment, and then says, “So, I reckon that’s four slaves and a horse? Alright, I’ll mark it down.”
McNeil shakes his head, “No, no, not the horse. Just the slaves.”
“Joshua, most people come in here wit’ a couple two, tree tings to sell. A few cattle, some vats o’ honey, maybe a nice wheel o’ cheese or two-“
“What’s your point?” McNeil snaps.
The fat man pauses for a moment. He just stares at McNeil for what seems to be an eternity. Finally, he sighs, “Alright, Joshua, four slaves startin’ at tree hundret’.”
McNeil claps his hands together, “Good, good, excellent. I knew you’d come through, you old fogey, you!”
He sighs again, and then adds, “Only for you, Joshua.” He turns and toddles away.
“Alright, let’s get ‘em in back with the other livestock. C’mon, move it!” McNeil orders.
I look at him and mockingly answer, “Only for you, Joshua.” I spit the name out like it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
“You will refer to me as Master McNeil!” He shouts while lifting his hand up to strike me. Then, faster than I thought possible, Pop was in front of me. He had his hands up to deflect McNeil’s hit. McNeil’s hand came right onto Pop’s rope in between his bound hands. It would be so cool if the rope broke, but of course, that would be ideal. And nothing is ideal right now. Except for Pop saving me from being backhand slapped in the face. That’s pretty close to ideal.
“You incompetent fool!” McNeil cries. He shoves him onto the ground and kicks him in the side.
“Now get up, and don’t ever come out of line, again!” He screams. He looks very hysterical.
Pop staggers up and walks behind Miller, who is leading the rope. He takes us to the back of the barn and leaves us surrounded by livestock in stalls and pens. Miller heads back through the fence and waits there with McNeil’s three other men.
“Girl, you always getting others hurt with your hot mouth! You need to check yourself, or I’ll check you for you.”
“Eliza, lay off the girl. I’m glad I have someone to voice my thoughts for me without getting hurt. Her hot mouth comes from you anyway.”
Mama rolls her eyes, “You can’t guarantee she ain’t never gonna get hurt.”
“She won’t because they’ll be no one to hurt her.” Pop states matter-of-factly.
“Well, how do you know the next master ain’t gonna be worse than the last?”
“There can’t be a worse master if there ain’t one at all. We ain’t going back to slavery, Eliza. Don’t lose heart now- not when were so close!”
“If you call this close, I’d hate to see what far away would be.”
“Far away would be losin’ heart and givin’ up hope. ‘Cuz when you give up hope, you lose all motivation, then how you gonna get anywhere? There’s nothing further away then when you’re right there, and you don’t know it.”
Mama says nothing, but her face is screwed up in thought. Most likely, thoughts about the future. Well, there ain’t nothing to be done, now. We just gotta wait and see what’ll happen.


© 2020 Sydney Stevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on January 16, 2020
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Sydney Stevens
Sydney Stevens

About
Young author in training! Published one book in the past, working on more. I'd like to think everyone would enjoy the stories I'm writing, but the target audience is teens. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens