Lilith The Chantrix: Eva Maria

Lilith The Chantrix: Eva Maria

A Story by Alexander Mccarthey
"

This is the first part of the second half of the Lilith Saga

"

Firelight danced casting its scorching light on the faithful Edonites gathered around the blaze. Fourteen-year-old Eva sat, farthest from the fire, watching a small army of ants make their way in a uniform line across the sand.


Her blond hair shone in the firelight casting a daze of brilliance around her. There was something distinct, something exotic about her. Her hair, for example, was light; the rest of the tribe had midnight black hair. Her skin was the color of the mountain snow. There was very little about her that was similar to her tribe members. Their faith in the old stories was unwavering. But they bored her, turning her into a naïve child, yawning as she heard the sacred litany. She was reaching the age of womanhood, but no man wanted an unfaithful wife.


What future could she possibly gain among the faithful if no man would marry her? No man would represent her in the hunt, and she would die alone and hungry. She loathed life, and this disgusting bane upon her.


Eva had one gift from the gods, a blazing fire that warmed her in the cold. When the drums beat and the music swayed, there was a power that moved through her hips, overtaking her body. No eye could look away from that movement, and every man, woman and child was caught in her sway. She could zone out, forget her troubles, and move into the realm of energy. That place where what did not seem real became real and what was real was only a shadow. Eva wasn't sure what came over her when she danced but she knew, somehow instinctively, that it was her gift and that she could use it to her benefit.


The Crone's voice boomed. It was time to start the Reckoning of the Priestess. The priestess is the acolyte of the Crone, a student who learned the traditions of the old religion. She memorized the sacred stories, learned the use of herbs and potions. The priestess would learn the ways of the snake that encompassed all of space, gaining the power of the gods.


She certainly was a snake. Lilit had wormed her way into the good graces of the naïve, old Crone. She impressed her with her power, her love, and her faith. Everything about her was sickening. She reminded Eva of the hyena, the goddess of deception. A sick feeling in Eva's stomach compelled her to believe that her hatred for Lilit was straight from the depths of truth.


Lilit had taken on a new role, the priestess, the Receiver of Knowledge. She was a formidable enemy to Eva she took on the power of the Elements and now the power of the darkness had been bestowed upon her. She looked changed a radiance was cast about her as she emerged from the shadows. The Crone chanted as the people kowtowed. Eva reciprocated the response and was on her knees. Her eyes never left the newly born Goddess. Adorned in the vestments of the Matriarchy, she was the vision of beauty. Her eyes had been painted with the charcoal of sandalwood, her mouth given the redness of berries. She was dressed in a thin creamy white material. It lay on her body like a drape. When Lilit lifted her arms at the pivotal point of the ritual, the material dropped like gossamer wings from her arms, a fake refinement cast about to put a pretty face on her deception.

 

As the drumbeat quickened, and the chanting grew louder, an idea grew over Eva, an obsession growing from the depths of her mind. This was not her family; she didn't care if the Edonites all passed away. She was an outsider, a beast outside the circle. As the drumbeat moved and trance passed over her, she held onto this idea, pulling it from the depths of her psyche. Her hips began to sway of her own volition and her body moved just ever so slightly. Her eyes never left the deceiver, the witch. She began to whisper.


“Death, blight, death, blight, death, blight, death.” She was barely moving her lips.

 

A shadow grew from her enveloping the circle. They had no idea; her power was subtle, deceptive. The only one who cast their glance her way was Lilit, whose eyes showed sadness, not terror nor fear. She who was deceptive in her innocence would deceive until she met her end.


The darkness enveloped everyone around the fire, all except Lilit. Try as she might, she couldn't curse her.


What was it?


Was it fate?


Was it Power?


The great mother moved across the circle. Lilit was beside her touching the heads of all the attendees. As she moved closer to Eva, her hips swaying ever so slightly, Eva got nervous.


Would she stop the spell?


Would she notice?


She gently touched Lilit's head, closing her eyes, she felt the curse. She knew its source. As the priestesses moved to the head of the circle they grew more aware of the power around them. The circle of darkness around them. Great Mother met Lilit's eyes. She was unsure of what to do.


Should they carry on with the ritual?


Lilit nodded to the head of the circle, she was sure that she could abate the power looming around them. The Great Mother moved to face the Edonites.


 “I present to you the Priestess Lilith!”


The Edonites howled filling the valley with their wails. The drum beat ceased, and Lilith was reckoned.

© 2011 Alexander Mccarthey


Author's Note

Alexander Mccarthey
I'm not sure about the grammar or the word choice. I think it has a bit of passive voice but I can't tell.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

AS far as content... I am bewitched!! Yah, a few mistakes; here and there, but I have a feeling you know how to edit this. Can't wait for more...
masqued^^

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is definitely getting a couple rewrites. I like the first one better.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2011
Last Updated on September 8, 2011
Tags: adam and eve, eve, lilith, eden, garden, garden of eden

Author

Alexander Mccarthey
Alexander Mccarthey

Tucson, AZ



About
My writing speaks more words than I could possibly portray otherwise. more..

Writing