The Definition of Love in 10 Words or Less...

The Definition of Love in 10 Words or Less...

A Poem by Pierce Bryant
"

...and she said, "No, absolutely not"

"
Would you die for me? Lick my wound if it consumed me to bleed eternally?
Would you carry me if such my burden grew too heavy
Build dikes to prevent the tides against.

Would you kill for me? Step upon the life that imposed dishonor against my good will?
What of my wrath? Could you stay my hand the same as theirs

When nothingness filled the air, would you be still in company, wait with me; patience for better days?

Could you only smile when you meant it, please?

And when my family’s hair grows old and gray and the pain grows with each old day

Would you sit with me while they hold on and survive?

But what of my gray hairs and the wrinkles that surely will persist,
Is your stomach strong enough to keep its strengths when a bucketful of pills is each my morning’s beginning?

Before all that, what of the kids? Are precious children yet to form names
Are we able to show them the world?
Do we know well enough to teach how to create their own?
Would they be safe forever? Would they stand for what is righteous and hold selflessly for the future of those they love and those they don’t?
Could you teach them that?

Could I? Could I too; be that for you
Could we? Would we... -Pierce

© 2018 Pierce Bryant


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

When I belong to someone, I cannot love him in small measures with lengthy considerations. His happiness and well-being is my priority...as is mine, to him. When you truly love someone, all of your decisions are born from selflessness. As for the children, they shall be observers of love in your home, and cannot help but fall naturally into what they view and experience. Love is simple, effortless...it asks for no definition or explanation. Society complicates love, wherein everything becomes observed, critiqued, questioned. Your poem, so perfectly, describes the hesitation and fear of love in today's society. Be confident in who you are, how you live your life and who would like to share it with. You have shared a very honest and real topic...in a beautifully written poem. Thank you... :)
Soft smiles for you...
Ahnjolie

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is fantastic! All the ponderings of “will what we have last and endure what life brings forth?” In a time when everyone seems to sway back and forth all too easily, especially when not given instant gratification or “happiness,” is anything truly lasting anymore? Sure, love is easy when it’s easy... when it’s fun, convenient and serves self.. but when you have to dig up withdrawals of self for the other, when you have to sacrifice your desires for the other, when you have to be patient and ride out the storms “together,” when one hits their “low” do you abandon or do you stay, when compromise, forgiveness and sorries must come just to preserve the relationship even if you’re right and you want so badly to win this battle.. it’s when real life, tragedy, loss, pain, illness, stress, etc occurs that you know whether someone else loves enough to stick it out and ride it together rather than abandoning ship for smoother sailing.

You truly hit the nail on its proverbial head by asking what real love shows and how it acts rather than whatever words are flung. You discover in another whether they truly love by quiet acts of kindness and selflessness rather than polished utterings and superficial statuses. Well-spoken, thank you for writing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Which is the true love? I think it's the one that stays on with the grays and the wrinkles. The daily round of pills, the school runs, the dirty pile of washing and the days and days of monosyllables. It's difficult, it wears out the toughest, it asks for much and then more and that is love. Not for everyone.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2018
Last Updated on July 2, 2018
Tags: Love, Question, Eternal, Maybe, Surely, Never

Author

Pierce Bryant
Pierce Bryant

Oshkosh, WI



About
Cliche more..

Writing
Misogyny Misogyny

A Story by Pierce Bryant