We aren't United, We are Divided

We aren't United, We are Divided

A Poem by Ethan Castner
"

i think that we have separated so much as a species its frightening to even fathom.I dont really know how to explain what im feeling but this poem only scratches the tip of the iceberg on the subject.

"
This world that we live in, is dark and oh so gray.
All those many people, struggling for such little pay.
We buy our food, we buy our power.
Some dark entity conditions us hour by hour.
Yes sir, No sir, no elbows on the table!
We cant stare! we cant talk!
There's no social physical interaction.
Nobody ever touches. strangers never hug.
We shy away, or think your weird.
They act like you have a creepy bug!
 Why did this happen? when did this come to pass?
We aren't United, We are Divided.
When will we be one world at last?
So tell me world
tell me this.
when will we have our united freedom bliss?!
 

© 2010 Ethan Castner


Author's Note

Ethan Castner
i dont know guys. like i said, i really dont know how to explain it. i just think were going about this whole life game completely and utterly horribly wrong. sooo review it and tell me what you think of that idea eh? or you can message me and we can talk about it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with numb, things have changed we have a guy who picks up litter to and sweeps the street coz thats what he used to do. Well do you know what! were all different, people are so boring I said good morning to a guy the other day he had two kids with him, he looked right through me, Oh well his loss ! lol

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think your so right, hit the nail on the head here, when did it come to pass ? we ask ourselves :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hmm... Sounds like highschool for Gothic kids. We shy away, we don't interact. So it is in the real world also. It disgusts me. I love hugs, and i love interacting with new people. -hug- theres a hug for you! go share it with someone else!

Posted 13 Years Ago


you have explained pretty much everything in your write, dear frined. The world as god created is ceased to exist the day mankind started drawing lines. I am from India... we used to be as clean and happy as a blank paper long ago. Those who fight cold wars drew a line and our country got divided. Its just one example and am sure not enough to justify the depth and meaning of your write.
I am glad to see that you have put thought into something that is more like Global Warming these days.. Everyone knows about it..feels it and yet noone wants to talk about it.
I wont be so sure if my social values will ever mean more to me than the freedom of living as an Earthian and not as the resident of a particular country.

But easier said than done. The world as it exists today has its boundaries. Guess even u wont like a complete stranger to walk up to you shake hands and probably chattalk with you for hours as if you have known each other for years. It seems so not possible in our world. I actually wonder if a world like this ever existed or ever will?
That being said, its a joy to read something as thought provoknig as this from someon who is a part of the society we live in. Where our privacy sometimes goes beyond the borders of solitude.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kes
I think I understand what you're getting at.
And God, I know how you feel.
My grandmother is 81 and she waves to everyone she sees on the way to Sainsbury's every morning, and people must think she's mad. There's an eldery man who walks past my bus stop every morning, picking up litter on his way to get the morning paper. And he even puts his bag of litter into a bin. He gets funny looks, but i don't mind him.
I think people have become so disjointed as a society. If I'd just met you and I shook your hand, that would be fine, but if i started talking to you like you were my best mate, that would be sort of unacceptable in this day and age.
And that's coming from someone of the new generation. I mourn for that friendly world that i never knew, nor ever will. The rules that bind me, i'll still obey. It's just the way of the world - but i so wish i could change it.
If someone catches my eye on my way to school, i'll happily smile at them, say good morning perhaps. People get confused when they see a girl in scruffy school uniorm being polite and up-front.
Think about doogs, okay? If they meet a new dog they sniff its backside. I mean, for goodness sake! Us humans are so up ourselves. Always have been to a certain extent... But you know what I mean.
I wish someone would send me back to the iron age or something. I wish someone would trap me there. What a pretty life of simplicity. And what a beautiful lack of social rules and expectations.

Sorry about that rant. But, clearly, you got me thinking.
Great write, Ethan. It's always a pleasure - never a chore - to read and review your poems.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yeah I get what your saying here - and it is a topic hard to put onto words but you have done well here.
Social values grow and change sometimes for the better and sometimes not... Sometimes we just get too caught up in "how society works" - we try to fit in instead of being ourselves and do our own thing...we try to please others...
There's a lot of things that come under this topic

As I said before I think you've done well conveying your thoughts in this poem - it is something you could expand on if you find the words or you could leave it as it is and let it be 'thought provoking' to the reader...
Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2010
Last Updated on November 9, 2010

Author

Ethan Castner
Ethan Castner

Gig Harbor, WA



About
Hello there, My name is Ethan Castner and i like to write.....well i try to write that is. I think im pretty funny, i can tell stories for hours on end. I know my writing skills are horrible, but that.. more..

Writing