An Excerpt from Everywhere

An Excerpt from Everywhere

A Story by a.r.
"

Well, the title is pretty self-explanatory. This is an excerpt from the book I am trying to write(in the rough stages).

"

The smell of crisp new air fills my nostrils as I place down the last box.  I look around my new bedroom. It is pretty big with two windows and a partial walk-in-closet.  My mom comes in to check on me.

“How are you doing honey?” She asks as her arms wrap around me.

“I’m fine I guess.”

“You guess?”

“I don’t know.  It just- it just doesn’t feel like home.”

“I know, but it will have to do for now.”  She squeezes me and leaves.

My bed comes into the room.  Some family friends are helping my mom, sister, and I move into our new house.  They put my bed and furniture together. I unpack everything and make my bed. The furniture is in place, the dresser on the wall, my bed on the opposite, and the bookcases by the dresser.  I pull my journal off a bookshelf and start to write.

I don’t know.  A new opportunity?  

It doesn’t come out like it usually does.  

It is still 4:30, I ask if I can explore the neighborhood.  My mom says be back by 6:30. Two hours to myself. I ride my bike up and down the streets.  Faint sounds of pools splashing and children screaming can be heard. A group of kids around my age are all playing in the street.  I ride past them as I hear an obscene comment from one. Something about my butt? I just keep going.

There is something about riding your bike and listening to good music that is just so amazing.  Serene even. It gives you time to think. It is a good place to breathe and just keep going. But thinking is bad for me.  If I think too much it will have bad consequences. I just can’t go too long.

I circle back on another street and make my way home.  My watch says 5:30. I still have an hour. I saw a fast food place around the corner.  I advert my path and head there. Wendy’s, a big sign reads. I park my bike and go in. There is an empty corner booth that looks like a good place to be.  The restaurant is mostly empty, an old couple sits at a table laughing. You can see the love in their eyes. The employees are hanging around in the back because of the lack of business.  

My phone starts to play some Good Charlotte.  I open and go to Twitter, my only news source. Mostly stuff about new Youtube videos and new makeup lines.  I pointlessly scroll through just to waste time. A video pops up and the title of the tweet reads, Wake Up And See What Is Really Going On.  I click and watch.

“The world is changing.  Economies are growing, countries are growing, but ideas, not so much.  The social order is messed up.” a woman explains. “Wage gap is the difference between the male and female income.  Rape culture is perpetuated by school dress codes. Women can’t play sports in national leagues unless it is a specific women’s league.  Women can’t make decisions about their own bodies. Women aren’t allowed to have an opinion anymore in government. Something needs to happen.”  

The video ends.  I stare at the black screen for a while.  What does it mean? Who was that? It that true?  Who supports this? Who made this? My drifting thoughts are interrupted as loud, energetic teenagers come in.  They quickly make themselves at home, spreading out in a couple of booths.

“Hey, Jared!”  a boy with shoulder length blonde hair shouts.

“What?” a response from the kitchen.

“Get everyone some drinks.”

“Fine.  Give me a second.”

A teen, I’m guessing is Jared comes around the corner and joins them.  He hands out the drinks and they start laughing wildly.

I look back at my phone.  Twitter doesn’t really have anything of interest right now.  Pinterest comes to mind. My Pinterest is full of happy quotes and Bob Ross paintings.  I click on the first picture on my ‘feed’. It says, “Stay calm at heart.”  Sounds like something a yoga teacher would say. The next says, “A peaceful mind leads to a peaceful heart.”  Another loud, collective laugh comes from the group.

The old couple has left by now, leaving only me, the teenagers, and the employees who are mostly in the group now.  I continue to look through my phone, my music is blaring, just how I like it. A tap on the shoulder makes me jump. I pull out a headphone and look up.  A girl from the group is standing next to me.

“What do you need?”

“Well, you looked kind of lonely.”

“Okay, so your point?”

“Um… do you want to join us?”  That gets the group giggling. Something is up.

“No thanks.  I am actually leaving.”

I walk out of the Wendy’s as my watch reads 6:15.  I get my bike from the side of the building. Inside the kids are talking and laughing, they had taken over the booth I was in.  I peddle away and drift back into the music.

© 2018 a.r.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on May 16, 2018
Last Updated on May 16, 2018

Author

a.r.
a.r.

Surprise, AZ



About
The world is tough and horrible. We all have a story, some ugly, other beautiful. Writing will never capture everything, but it might. Everyone has a story and everyone has an opinion. more..

Writing
Deadly Paradox Deadly Paradox

A Poem by a.r.