Lunar Legacy

Lunar Legacy

A Poem by PloughBoy
"

Cursed celestial satellite-why do you torment me so?

"

Lunar Legacy




~~~~~~00~~~~~~

Yon silv'ry celestial satellite ~ your light beguiles me so,

whilst all around, the ghosts abound, within your waning glow.

Humanity eludes me now, cruel destiny's been cast,

woebegone monster I've become leaves my cursed soul aghast.




'Twas fate that brought the gypsy queen, with her cursed caravan,

her native Romani dialect odd for me, a very simple man,

cruel cataracts ~ opaque gaze ~ scrutinized every inch of me,

bulbous lump formed in my throat as she knelt down upon one knee.




What is it you need, white man ~ just what is it that you're seeking?

I felt the hairs raise on my arms, my confidence was weakening.

I beg you, take this curse from me, I'll reward you handsomely.

Old gypsy queen leaned in very close, then spoke these words to me ~


Lunar Legacy photo applehelpicon_zps36828e97.png

Lunar legacy flows now through your veins,

beast unshackled your human spirit wanes,

'tis thy brethren ~ soulful howling refrains ~

cries out to the wolf, for no man remains.


 photo 2abd53cb-2686-4d1e-8c50-1a9596d75f6b_zpsa31cf112.png


What's that to do with my request, why speak to me in riddles?

'Twas then I heard in dark of night a cimbalom and some fiddles.

Melancholy melodies played, filled the air around the camp,

the gypsy queen rose ~ in firelight ~ cheeks glistened, moist and damp.




There is nothing I can do for you, your destiny's been sealed,

you no longer walk this realm, your affliction cannot be healed.

For next full moon you'll hear my tune and know the change is coming;

then left me there, yon necromantic tune she started humming.




On my way home, along the path, Luna's light began to glow,

Soon heard the mellow gypsys' tune wafting whisper'd, soft and low ~

Aflame! My body burned and wrenched as I writhed upon the ground,

gypsy queen's last words were all I heard, and not another sound.


Lunar Legacy photo applehelpicon_zps36828e97.png


Lunar legacy darkens deep ~ your soul,

beware moonbeams luster, luminous glow!

Wolf's bloody malevolence will be sought,

undoing the good in the life you wrought.


 photo 2abd53cb-2686-4d1e-8c50-1a9596d75f6b_zpsa31cf112.png



My civilized nature soon disappeared ~

the wolf finally won … just as I'd feared.


~~~~~~00~~~~~~


Moon Mania photo tumblr_mihnq41WFH1s3979jo1_4001.gif

© 2014 PloughBoy


Author's Note

PloughBoy
cimbalom-- an elaborate stringed instrument of the dulcimer family used in small music ensembles by central European Roma (Gypsies).

For Dr.Sigmund Freud (1856-1939), interpretation was necessary to give meaning to the apparently random thoughts of free association. Freud's focus was on reading the obscure language of the unconscious, and he developed techniques of interpretation in order to do so. In the cases of patients known as Rat Man and Wolf Man, he wove together elaborate stories, explanations, and speculations to make sense out of constellations of symptoms that seemed impossibly puzzling. These case histories, written for colleagues, read like detective novels in which the analyst deciphers the significance of symptoms as if they are clues.

In the case history known as "The Wolf Man," Sergei Pankejeff (1887 1979), a wealthy Russian aristocrat, is described as suffering from debilitating compulsions and fears resulting from his sexual development having gone awry at an early age. Freud focused Pankejeff's attention on a childhood dream which seemed to encapsulate his early traumas and current fears: a dream of wolves perched in a tree outside his open bedroom window. Doctor and patient sought to determine the wish that the dream disguised.

Sometimes, truth is much stranger than fiction.

~Pleasant Screams~ ...



My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As you have described this so eloquently the quest for meaning has diminished to very little all I am left with is first of the feeling of gratitude towards your writing. I get completely submerged on it and throrugh it. The other constant feeling is that you are an "old soul" intepret as you may but it comes through. Full of message for the ones seeking for meaning, full of a creative spirit for those wondering.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Poetically speaking and with the greatest respect I must add ( no old fart reference intended).
PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Ha ha, no offense taken, Rene. My kids call me ancient, yet I'm only (and I say this while holding m.. read more
Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Not so far from me! though I am a young Soul (Or so I try to convince myself)



Reviews

I have been away from cafe for a while. But i have not lost the essence of it. Thanks to April she sent me the request so i was not able to miss this stunning piece of work. The subtle way you have described this curse of lunar legacy is spellbinding. I have always a thing for paranormal writing. And this one especially drowned me in. The way you told the back story i grabbed the foundation of this poem well. Subconcious is an intriguing thing, sometimes it haunts our presence. Really glad i read your work. ;)

~Sophy

Posted 9 Years Ago


PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Sophy, you're too kind. The occult, supernatural, horror, and the occasional Gothic tale .. read more
Kudos for managing to pull off narrative poetry... most people don't realize just how challenging it is to write a story poetically, with a rhyme scheme. I know that when I first attempted it, I wasn't expecting too much of a challenge, and then it ended up taking me several days to write. That said, I can completely understand how challenging something like this can be to pull off, and applaud the effort. Furthermore, while I do feel that the archaic/obsolete conjunctions are a bit overdone (at least you are consistent in using them), there is no denying that you do a good job with crafting more than just a story, but also an atmosphere. I like the shorter lines, and how you separate them stylistically; as well as the overall presentation you have here.
Now, onto suggestions... while most of the rhymes are strong, the meter could use some tweaking. I mean, 9-6, 8-7, 8-7, 8-6 -- 9-6. 8-6, 7-8, 7-8 -- 7,8, 8-8, 8-7, 9-6 -- 10,10,10,10 -- 8-7, 8-8, 8-7, 9-7 -- 9-6, 7-8, 8-7, 4-11 -- 8-7, 8-7, 9-7, 6-5-6 -- 10,10,10,10 -- 10,10 is the syllable breakup that I observed. Clearly the 'riddle' segments were written in iambic pentameter, and quite well too... which is probably why they stood out to me. The rest of these counts are similar enough for the poem to flow smoothly, but not quite enough for it to feel balanced. Perhaps it was an effect to deliberately make the poem unbalanced, so I am not ignoring this possibility. Someone used to reading metered poetry will feel the imbalance, and in turn the flow will seem to 'cut short' or 'drag out'. I recommend getting those lines to conform to iambic tetrameter (eight syllables per segment), which shouldn't be too challenging to pull off--you are practically already there, so a single dropped word, or an altered word choice should do the job for most. As I mentioned, the asynchronous rhyme scheme may be intentional, but having tetrameter should still stand out in contrast to pentameter. Especially since, an alternating rhyme scheme is going to feel different than a quatrain with the exact same rhyme on all four lines, regardless of meter.
Now then, onto word-choice and rhyme... I personally disliked the coupling of caravan and understand, it really felt out of place in a piece which otherwise has many strong rhymes.
I also felt that 'sad tune' was out of place, it felt dull and awkward in that line; maybe re-examine that word choice, and see if something fits better...
All in all, I enjoyed this blend of narrative poetry; I think lycanthrophy is something that all of us are fascinated in to a certain degree. There is this luring draw to the theme of man becoming beast, and how much of him is lost in the process? I loved the final lines of your second to last stanza for this very reason; the idea that the beast within will undo everything you have worked for.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

They just stood out to me; sometimes I am not sure why something is off, I just know it is. I have .. read more
PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Haha, more than likely. That'll usually do it.:)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

Thanks for coming Nusquam... (Mr. Technical) kinda awesome sometimes :P
I like this, its going into my library, the style of language from bygone times really adds to the mystic of the wolfman roaming the night, odd I just finished watching the movie 'Wolf' from 199something starring Jack Nicholson, just coincidence but enough mixed with your poem to give me a nervy night, thanks for that and this brilliant poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Me too. Could you tell, heh-heh...?
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

Thank you for coming Richie, I appreciate it! :)
R Smith

9 Years Ago

your welcome April
Being a fan of both Wolf and Moon, I found this to be quite intriguing. I came here by way of April, and I'm glad she sent me. Your use of Old English/mystique created a beautifully interwoven weave of Dreamscape, curse, and acceptance. Thank you for the enjoyable read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Jack, and I truly appreciate that. April was very kind to recommend this to you.. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

Hey Doc.. I thought you would enjoy.. thanks for coming sir... :)
I have to say this is absolutely amazing.. The flow was exquisite and the rhymes divine.. I became lost in this dark tale of the wolf, a gypsy queen and the moon... the transitions were flawless... I am new to writing and unsure of the "technicalities" of poetry, but I know how a work makes me FEEL as a reader.. this one was absolutely stunning... the rhythm felt like a teasing dance between rivals that only intensified as I went on.. I forgot I was reading a "poem" and got lost in the story.. that to me is skill.. I thoroughly enjoyed this.. well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

Please, call me April... Honestly, I am honored to read your work.. I read a LOT on here, and your w.. read more
PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Thank you, April, and I'd be honored by your forwarding of read requests to anyone you chose. I'm ve.. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

you're more than welcome
As you have described this so eloquently the quest for meaning has diminished to very little all I am left with is first of the feeling of gratitude towards your writing. I get completely submerged on it and throrugh it. The other constant feeling is that you are an "old soul" intepret as you may but it comes through. Full of message for the ones seeking for meaning, full of a creative spirit for those wondering.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Poetically speaking and with the greatest respect I must add ( no old fart reference intended).
PloughBoy

9 Years Ago

Ha ha, no offense taken, Rene. My kids call me ancient, yet I'm only (and I say this while holding m.. read more
Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Not so far from me! though I am a young Soul (Or so I try to convince myself)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 29, 2014
Last Updated on August 29, 2014
Tags: lycanthropy, werewolves, gypsy, curses

Author

PloughBoy
PloughBoy

Smalltown USA, OH



About
Plough Boy is a father of five. Plough Boy's main interests center around writing prose, however he does attempt to write poetry from time to time. He is a veteran of the Marine Corps, serving .. more..

Writing
Flavorless Flavorless

A Poem by PloughBoy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..