Chapter Two from The Time of the Changing

Chapter Two from The Time of the Changing

A Chapter by Polly Lewis
"

The mystery continues...

"

 

Chapter Two
 
                Ana awoke surrounded by soft fluffy pillows, secure and warm beneath a beautiful lace quilt. Sunshine spilled through the large arch shaped windows reflecting light around the soft white room and creating an almost dreamlike safety. The sound of bird song drifted in from outside, filling her ears as she stretched her arms over her head then snuggled back down into the warm comfortable bed. And all seemed safe and calm in her strange yet peaceful surroundings
                As she lay there, her emerald eyes scrutinized the room, studying its contents, and she unintentionally took note of the prominent features. A slender marble statue adorned each corner at the far end, one female and one male. They seemed so lifelike in their beauty that Ana could not shake the feeling she was being watched. There was also something very familiar about them, as though they should hold some special place in her heart, however for some reason she seemed unable to place it.
                She frowned, pulling at her left ear and trying to draw on her memory. Staring hard at the faces she scanned the lines and curves of each one in turn, struggling to understand her reaction. But still nothing came.
                Slightly irritated she sighed loudly then continued her observation around the room. An ornate white chair sat under each of the two windows at the far end, and a fabulous glass dressing table and silver stool dominated the space between. The floor was covered in shiny blue tiles that shimmered like tiny waves on the ocean, and long white satin drapes hung from ceiling to floor, framing the windows.
                Her gaze followed the line of the drapes upwards, admiring the perfect folds. Then finally, reaching the ceiling her eyes came to rest directly above the bed.
                As she continued to stare strange shadows gradually began to dance on the ceiling, agile and graceful, leaping and spinning like tiny ballerinas and she blinked to remove the sleep from her eyes, then watched in wonder as the performance unfolded.
                Tiny wings fluttered open then shut as they swirled between archways and pillars created by other members of the shadowy cast. They spun and twirled, fluttering like falling leaves caught on an unexpected breeze. Then spreading out across the white canvas their speed suddenly increased, the dance becoming frenzied and they joined together to merge into two solid shapes.       
                The shadow of a man and woman now clearly immerged and started to reach out, one to the other. Their fingertips met, entwining slowly, their bodies meeting, embracing as they came together.
                Finally their lips touched, tender yet insistent; almost as though an eternity preceded their blissful union. Then suddenly, as if startled, they jerked apart and the shadows faded back to nothing.
                Footsteps echoed outside the door and lost in confusion Ana spun on her side and closed her eyes, squeezing them tightly.
                Melodic voices drifted across the room as the footsteps entered then lowered to a whisper as they approached the bed.
                “Is she still sleeping?” The sound was warm and deep, a male voice that Ana felt strangely drawn to.
                “Yes, poor lamb. It’s probably the best thing for her at the moment. She’ll need to recover her strength before we decide what to do.”  A woman spoke now, her tone rich and full of love and concern.
                The male voice responded, “Mylia did not foresee such an early confrontation. It was unexpected I know, but Riana showed strength and courage beyond our hopes.”
                “She was not ready. His power has grown; he could have destroyed her. I was wrong to think she would be safe with her parents, they were unprepared and this cannot be allowed to happen again! ”
                “Hush, Alandra, do you want to wake the child? We made a mistake but in doing so we have seen a small glimpse of what is to be. She will be completely hidden until the time of the Changing, and this time we will ensure her anonymity.”
                “I agree it was beneficial to see her use the magic so effectively, however we cannot afford to risk Riana again. She will remain here while we decide what is best. Oh and, Lucas, please try to remember that I am your Queen, when next you tell me to hush.”
                “Yes, my love…always.”
                Such affection filled these last words that Ana almost turned to see the face of the man who spoke, but still unsure of her true feelings she gripped the pillow and decided to remain quiet, for now…
                  
                Outside the walls of the palace Mylia sat peacefully in the gardens surrounded by white and pink rose bushes, her face a mask of concentration. She wore the full-length pale blue robes of a priestess joined from top to bottom by delicate sapphire buttons, her golden hair shimmering in the afternoon sunlight. And sparkling lights whirled above her shoulders as she began to prepare for the magic of flight.                
                She had spent the morning in deep meditation, anticipating the difficult journey to come, and now, with her spirit finally ready she closed her violet eyes and reached into her soul. Taking a long, deep breath she relaxed her body and mind, allowing her breath to exhale slowly, causing a gentle breeze to ruffle the rose petals around her. Then repeating the action three times, she opened her eyes and called on her spirit to bring forth the gift.
                Immediately, blue light filled her vision, and bright spheres of purple and green danced over her skin, lifting her slender form above the gardens. Cautiously she pushed upwards, gliding across the Sinarian sky, her form lingering for a moment above the WhitePalace. Then focusing on the wall of mist she hardened her heart and surged forward, the wind whipping at her billowing robes and stinging her eyes. Instantly she closed her mind, easily blocking the temptations of the treacherous white barrier. Then reaching out with her soul she felt the familiar push as she crossed the worlds to enter the domain of humankind.
                Floating across the magnificent blue planet, tears filled her eyes as she hovered above the scenes of violence and hatred below. War sprang eternal in this world of chaos and cruelty, and although Mylia struggled to overcome her despair, it pulled at her heart, drowning her spirit. Of course she had been here many times before, but it was always traumatic to see the destruction at first hand and she still found it difficult to deflect the initial onslaught.
                Speeding onwards she transferred her attention to the majestic mountains and crystal clear lakes of the Scottish Highlands. She breathed in the cool, clean air, allowing the sensation to clear her mind, and immediately her thoughts refocused as she drew on the surrounding beauty to replenish her strength.
                She continued on over fields and hills, rivers and valleys, until eventually the land below became flat and green. Then scanning the countryside she at last felt the pull of energy she sought and locked onto its comforting beam. It was faint at first, its energy fleeting, but as she neared her goal its light became blissfully constant and smiling her thanks she rushed towards it.
                Hovering above the house she watched the people below, taking care to avoid the protruding chimney stack. A man and woman sat relaxing on a garden bench watching two large German Shepherd dogs playing on the lawn. Five apple trees lined the bottom of the eighty foot garden keeping them safe and secluded from prying eyes. And hidden in their own small piece of heaven they appeared happy and at ease.
                Various brightly coloured flowers jostled gently in circular borders, adding interest and fragrance to the top end of the lawn, and a large red brick patio sat neatly outside the double doors that led from the house to the garden. The scene was perfect apart from one small detail…a child.
                Silent and unseen Mylia floated down to settle under one of the apple trees. From here she could hear the laughter from the bench drifting across the lawn, and tenuous threads of hope replaced her earlier despair. The couple were talking happily about the antics of the dogs whilst sipping red wine from delicate crystal glasses and their jovial mood and witty conversation brought infectious joy to their invisible observer.
                Robert and Nicola Metcalf were enjoying a rare afternoon alone. At thirty-five Robert had built up a successful jewellery business in London’s HattonGarden and was at last enjoying the financial rewards of his hard labour. Unfortunately, his busy work schedule meant too few hours spent with his precious wife and although they were financially secure, there were things in life that money simply couldn’t buy. Time was what they needed now, and for this reason Robert had employed a manager to run most of the business so he could dedicate more time to his neglected home life. 
                Nicola had been married to Robert for ten years and although they had struggled to overcome many obstacles when he had first started the business, their relationship had not only survived but flourished on the excitement. At first Nicola had worked along side her husband, helping him with the admin and accounts, but after three consecutive years of working six days a week, they decided she should take things a little easier and find something nearer to home.  Home was a small, chocolate box village in the Essex countryside called Ravenshatch. It sat nestled on a pretty hillside three miles outside Hockley, and when they had finally saved enough money for a deposit they had bought Blew Cottage. Nicola had then given up work all together to maintain their new home and prepare for hopefully starting a family.
                With this is mind Mylia swiftly turned her attention to the family pets who were now sprawled out on the lawn panting in the sunshine. Serena and Jet were two years old and had been part of the same litter of seven pups. They loved nothing more than playing endless games, chasing each other around the garden while vying for the attention of their doting owners and then lying out in the warmth of the sun.
                Jet was a short haired, black and tan boisterous male, always eager and alert. He would push Serena as far as possible before usually receiving a stern paw to the nose to put him firmly back in his place. Serena, in contrast, was a slightly smaller female with long silky fur and large intelligent amber eyes. Her gentle nature concealed a strong and protective instinct that left no doubt who was the boss.
                Having observed this contented little family for several months, the priestess was convinced they would be able to provide exactly what was needed. Their love was solid and their bonds to each other strong and unbreakable. They would be the perfect solution to Alandra‘s problem.
                Taking one last look at the family, she started to prepare for the journey home. However, as she began to rise Serena suddenly sat up and looked straight in her direction, sniffing at the air. Instantly, the priestess stopped her ascent and stared into the eyes of the beautiful animal. It had happened once before and although Mylia found it a little unnerving she knew it to be a sign of Serena’s sensitivity. This confirmed her decision and would add great force to her argument with the Queen.
                “Serena, be calm little one,” she whispered. “I mean you and your family no harm. I will see you again soon.”  
                The dog relaxed and lay back down on the grass, although her keen eyes did not leave Mylia‘s face until the magical priestess rose high above the garden and disappeared into the vast blueness of the afternoon sky.
                              
                Alandra leaned back on her glass throne and looked out over the Great Hall. Dressed in a long white gown of finest silk, her long black hair held back by a circlet of diamonds and pearls, she tried to prepare for the arrival of the unwanted visitor.
                The white marble floor was polished to perfection, gleaming in the late afternoon sunlight and row upon row of delicate glass chairs sparkled like diamonds in a sea of grandeur. All around her voices fought to be heard with opinions on what should, or should not be done and despairingly she raised her yellow eyes to stare at the huge chandelier hanging gracefully from the centre of the ceiling.
                Still she could find no peace, and turning to her left she gazed at the calm, handsome figure of Lucas on the throne beside her. Instinctively he returned her gaze, reaching out to gently stroke her delicate hand and she felt his strength flowing through her. It soothed her nerves, stilling her fear, and for a brief and wonderful moment she almost felt better. But even her husband’s loving touch could not sedate her anxiety today, and taking a long, deep breath, she closed her eyes to shut out the chaos.
                Finally, the sun set outside the huge oblong windows and candles sprang to life, bathing the room in warm, golden light. Her subjects took their seats on the glass chairs, watching their queen. And with all now ready Alandra looked up expectantly, anxious for the visitor to finally arrive.
                At the end of the immense room two large white doors suddenly swung open and Bebus, the Caller of the Hall, stepped through, taking his place on the right hand side of the opening. Then clearing his throat he at last announced the entrance of Borgez, the Warrior of the Gods.
                All went silent as the seven-foot warrior strolled through the centre of the assembled nobility and gasps of surprise and astonishment followed his progression, most not daring to look upon him for longer than a moment.
                Piercing pale blue eyes stared out from his strong black face, keen and alert and seeing all, and long white hair trailed down his back in dozens of tight braids secured at the ends by glimmering silver beads. The contrast was both striking and hypnotic and Borgez knew it.
                With each assured step his long red cloak flowed out behind him, his silver breastplate shimmering in the candlelight. And as he marched forward each muscle seemed to ripple beneath the stretched skin struggling to contain it.
                Finally, reaching the raised royal platform he bowed deeply to the queen and her consort then addressed Alandra. “I trust I find you well, Majesty?”
                “Quite well, Borgez, but you are not here to discuss my health,” replied the queen.
                “Direct as always; I see some things never change. So I will come straight to the point. Is the child aware of her destiny?”
                “The child is not yet your concern; why do you come to us now?”
                “The time soon approaches when she must prove her worth. It is not wise to deny her the knowledge of what she must face. The first test is imminent! ” He moved forward with the force of the words, his deep, velvety voice booming across the hall.
                “She will be ready for the first test, Borgez, this I promise you.”
                All in the room held their breath, as the tension mounted and the atmosphere crackled with conflict.
                Slowly Borgez relaxed his muscles, eyeing her with contempt. “Over five hundred years have passed since your last attempt and both worlds now suffer. Sinaria cracks at the edges and man is bereft of your protection, mighty Queen. You cannot afford to make another mistake; man will not survive another five hundred years…in fact he will not survive at all.”
                Alandra surged to her feet, her eyes blazing. “I am well aware of my duty and of my previous failure. Your reminder serves no purpose here!” 
                “If that is true, oh great one; then why do I sense the presence of darkness even within these magnificent walls? My concern is valid even if you will not see it. The child must be prepared.”
                Carefully she retook her seat and smoothed down the skirt of her silk dress. Then reining in her anger she spoke with an almost steely calmness. “You are right, great warrior, we are running out of time. But the schooling of the child cannot be rushed; you know this as well as I. Plans have been made for her education and the development of her magic. Be assured that when the time comes she will be more than a match for his power.”
                Still holding her gaze he moved back, glancing at Lucas. “Then I will await her arrival with much interest and anticipation, for should she fail it is doubtful we will meet again.” 
                He stared coldly at the queen for a long moment, his face unreadable. Then with these last words of warning said, he turned and strode from the Great Hall, the white doors slamming shut behind him.
                Lucas rose from his golden throne, his voice cutting through the sea of nervous murmuring like a knife. “Leave us. Enough has been said for now. Go to your rest, and leave us to our thoughts.”
                Immediately the room began to clear, peace descending around them, and when the room was at last empty Alandra turned to her husband with a look of concern. “Why did he come here now, with his words of doubt? How dare he question me! ”
                Moving around the throne of glass, Lucas knelt down before his queen and took her hands. “He is, and always will be a Neutral. His purpose in coming here today was to oversee the balance. It is not for us to question his motives.”
                Alandra looked deep into the face of her love and raised her hand to softly stroke his cheek. He tilted his face to her palm, while keeping his eyes fixed firmly on hers. Then tenderly he kissed her hand and pulled her to him. The understanding of eternity passed between them and Alandra felt her fears melting away.
                “Come, my love,” said Lucas, “there is nothing more to be done tonight. You must sleep.” 
                “She is just a child; I so wish I could take this burden from her.”
                “Riana is much stronger than she appears. I have never felt such power.”
                “Yes, her magic shines, of that there is no doubt.” The queen relaxed slightly. “I just hope it is enough…”
                “This time the victory will be ours, My Queen. You must have faith.”
                She smiled warmly, rising to her feet. Then nodding her acceptance she took his hand and followed him to the solitude of their bedchamber.
                                                     
                Still unable to sleep, Alandra rose silently from the huge bed and looked down to check that Lucas was sleeping soundly. Thankfully he was deep in the land of dreams so slipping into her white lace robe she opened two glass doors and walked out onto a large veranda overlooking the gardens.
                As she moved across the stone floor she glanced up at the night sky and marvelled at the array of twinkling stars illuminating the darkness. The time was near; the moon already beginning to glow, and with her heart now pounding she swiftly made her way towards the wall at the edge of the veranda.
                Returning her gaze to the sky she watched as the moon began to sparkle, shimmering with a strange pale blue light. The light grew brighter, shrouding the queen in its magical beam and sensing its nearness she gasped as the power vibrated through her soul.
                Kneeling before it, she stared at the wondrous spectacle, praying as the colour grew ever deeper. Then clasping her hands together she bowed her head and began to whisper the magical verse of spirit search.
                “Sidonius, belenus, sidonius, belenus,” she began.
                The words were a request, not a command, and translated into the human language meant come to me, speak with me. Alandra knew they would only work if the recipient wished to hear them, but still she persisted, her voice whispering into the lonely night.     
                Suddenly the moon pulsed, its colour now a rich, dark purple, and hundreds of tiny lights erupted from its surface.
                It was the sign she had prayed for, an indication that all was well. And pushing from her heart she repeated the words over and over until at last she felt the warmth of her daughter’s spirit descend around her. “Kellan, My Daughter, please come to me,” she pleaded.
                A small white orb floated above the veranda wall, hovering before the queen and instantly she recognised the vibrancy of the light.
                “Maurus!” said Alandra, the magical word of appearance snapping from her lips. And the dazzling sphere shimmered and began to take on the shape of her courageous daughter.
                The queen could see every detail of her perfect face, as the spirit transformed and became solid. The almond shaped green eyes, the delicate arch of her brows, the small tilted nose and full pink lips. Even her long red curls could be clearly seen tumbling down to her tiny waist. 
                Almost speechless, Alandra came to her feet and beckoned to her child. “Kellan, it is so good to see you. Why have you not come to me before? I have called and called to you.” She held open her arms to embrace the spirit, however, Kellan recoiled avoiding her mother’s arms and Alandra frowned in desperation.
                “How is my child, Your Majesty?” The spirit shone brightly as it spoke, pulsing with energy, and the queen’s heart almost broke as she felt the pain in the words.
                “Riana is well,” she replied. “She has not awoken yet, but that is to be expected.”
                “Was my death expected, Mother?”
                The question cut through Alandra like a dagger, and she faltered beneath Kellan’s icy stare. “Your death was not foreseen. Mylia did not see an attack this early in the game; do you think I would have risked my own family had we known?”
                With the difficulty of these last words her resolve finally broke and hopeless tears filled her yellow eyes. The queen did not permit herself to show weakness in public at any time, and in private she had held on to her responsibility for Riana. But now, with Kellan so close, the feelings of loss were overwhelming and she could no longer contain the sorrowful agony. She fell back to her knees as the sobs of grief she had not allowed to surface suddenly engulfed her, wrenching her forward, and hovering forward her daughter looked down at her pitiful form. 
                She felt the torment of her mother’s suffering reaching out, trembling with need. And no longer able withhold her love she surged forward to embrace the queen in a desperate moment of shared pain. “Mother, I am sorry for my harsh words. Please forgive me,” she whispered.
                “No, it is I who must seek your forgiveness. It was I who convinced you and your husband to take Riana to Earth.” Guilt lingered, dragging at her heart, and she kept her eyes lowered to the ground.
                “Yes, but your intentions were pure. You could not have known what would happen. Riana is well and that is all that matters. I do not blame you for what happened.” Kellan lifted her mother from the ground and sat her on a beautiful marble bench in the corner of the veranda. “You carry the load for us all and I should not have added to your burden. I spoke in anger.”
                “It was you who saved Riana. And your sacrifice will be remembered when she takes her rightful place,” said Alandra, gazing at her daughter.
                Kellan shimmered and looked up at the moon. “I must go. They are calling me.”
                “I understand,” the queen responded.
                “But know that I love you and my father, and tell Riana I will be watching over her…always.”
                “We love you too, Kellan. We will keep Riana safe as long as we can.”
                With sincere gratitude now shining in her eyes Kellan shimmered once more before returning to her white orb.
                “Will I see you again?” asked the queen. But before she had even finished the question the orb floated back up to the purple moon, and her daughter was gone.
                Smiling contentedly, and with a lighter heart, Alandra stepped back into the bedchamber and moved towards the bed to rejoin her husband. However, as she started to remove her lacy robe a piercing scream shattered the silence and she froze in mid action.
                “Riana!” The name was said in unison as Lucas shot from the bed. And closing her eyes the queen quickly used her magic.
                “Cian,” she whispered, immediately transporting to Ana’s bedside; Lucas arriving only seconds later.
                “Her memory has returned,” he whispered.
                Alandra stared at her husband, knowing the truth of his words. Then looking down she tried desperately to comfort the frightened child. “Riana, you are safe, do not be afraid,” she soothed.
                 The child stared, locked in her terrifying nightmare, and unable to find further words the queen took Ana in her arms and gently rocked back and forth.
                Hours passed, each one a daunting battle of pain for the tiny child, the memory of her mother’s death almost impossible to overcome. But finally, as the sun rose high above the beautiful gardens she slowly began to relax, and her tiny form returned to slumber, safe in the warmth of her grandmother’s love.


© 2008 Polly Lewis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is written so well. It's the sort of fantasy I was so enamored with as a teen. I enjoyed my visit to your work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I haven't read Chapter One because I haven't been regular about reviewing your work so I apologize. This second Chapter flows well and the description is very detailed. I can picture what's going on clearly. But you don't overwhelm the reader with too many details either. The characters are interesting and even though I don't entirely understand the full plot that's good because it keeps me reading and wanting to learn more. Reminds me of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon a lot. Keep up the good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow Polly. Another great piece. Sorry it took so long to review. A great piece......EXCELLENT!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Quite magnificently written...:)

I am off to the third installment...can't wait for it ... :))))



Posted 16 Years Ago


This was such a good write.I was drawn in and held captive by the story and the way Your words have a magical feel to them even before the magic in the story was evident. The primise of the story is an old one, Good v/s Evil. Your have a great begining to a well written and well thought out story. Great job.
Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow, a really long piece,but you held my interest all the way to the end.

I can't wait to see what Ana has to endure. I loved the way you described everything so perfectly. I could visualise the scenes set in my mind. Very well written. Excellent

Look forward to the next part..

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2008


Author

Polly Lewis
Polly Lewis

United Kingdom



About
My name is Polly Lewis and I am a struggling new author who would really appreciate constructive comments and advice on my work. Writing is a passion, an expression of our soul. It drives our every .. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Poem by Polly Lewis



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain