Chapter Four from The Time of the Changing

Chapter Four from The Time of the Changing

A Chapter by Polly Lewis
"

A new player enters the story and the mystery deepens...

"

 

Chapter Four
 
                Scratching at his unfamiliar red skin Mendel paced the narrow alleyway, anxiously awaiting the notorious Roamers. He had been loitering now for almost an hour, and as the black ground trembled beneath his feet and another violent tremor shook the city of Nazar, he gripped the wall to keep from falling. Gradually the shaking ceased and Mendel steadied himself, raising his flaming torch higher to illuminate the darkness.
                It was difficult at first to perfect the Fire Demon disguise; the use of a powerful spell sustaining the deceptive façade. And much concentration was needed to maintain the illusion of red hairless skin, jet black eyes and silver teeth with protruding two inch fangs cutting either side of his mouth. But with each passing day the task became easier, his soul sinking ever deeper into this dark world of hate and death. And although he still struggled with the magic he could not risk revealing his true form. Fear ruled here, and for the time being at least it was imperative he remain cloaked from demon eyes.  
                Six hideous months of probing and searching had passed slowly; every moment spent striving to make contact with the horrendous monsters he was about to meet. But finally he had found their weakness, a deep, unrelenting hunger they could not control, and immediately he had set about fulfilling their abhorrent needs. It involved visiting every tavern and whorehouse for miles around, offering his services as a seasoned hunter to gain what was necessary. And for Mendel the task had been long and gruelling.
                Bones were what they craved. And although disgusted he had used his expert skills as a warrior to collect bodies on behalf of disgruntled landlords and w***e masters who wanted revenge on past clients for unpaid bills. They had paid him in gold, not caring about the dead bodies of their unfortunate victims, and Mendel had gathered his bony offering swiftly and without regret.               
                Of course he found his task distasteful initially, but he had soon hardened to the pleas of the revolting creatures he agreed to slay. They were mostly Shadow Demons, evil creatures that slithered around the outer walls of the dark city. On Earth they appeared as menacing smudges, constantly lying in wait for an unsuspecting innocent to come too close. Then once seen they would take the shape of a dead loved one, coaxing the innocent to touch them. It was a macabre game with fatal consequences, and when contact was made the victim was ripped apart and their soul devoured, trapping the pure spirit forever in darkness. Here they mostly appeared in their physical form, their black snake like bodies, twelve feet in length, slithering, half submerged beneath the ashen ground while they hunted for prey.
                Rules were different here, and as much as it pained him Mendel had no choice but to conform if he wanted to survive and fulfil his quest.
                Suddenly, a high-pitched screech echoed across the night, distracting him from his thoughts and he looked up to see a massive Razor Bird glide across the black sky and land on a nearby rooftop. He stared at the bird, frowning in confusion. Then hearing a menacing whisper he instantly returned his attention to the shadow filled alley.
                Footsteps echoed at the entrance and immediately he pulled the hood of his red cloak further down to hide his face and turned to receive his monstrous guests.
                “Fire Demon, you have something for us?” said an unseen foe. The low, rasping voice floated along the alleyway, sending shards of ice along his spine and he tensed in readiness.
                Quickly he lifted the heavy grey sack from behind him and dropped it to his right side, the rattling sound unmistakable as it hit the ground. “I have what you want, Megus. You have only to tell me where she is.”
                “Ah, my name is not known to many in Nazar. I see you have done your homework. May we perhaps have the pleasure of knowing to whom we give our information?”
                “It is not necessary for you to know my name, Roamer; just give me what I seek and the bones will be yours.” Mendel’s tone carried a steely note of warning and he inched forward to enforce his words.
                Suddenly the Roamers stepped into the torchlight, revealing their loathsome form and Mendel stared, fighting to hold back his increasing revulsion. Only three had come closer, one staying back for safety, lurking in the darkness. However, Mendel could not be fooled and had already noted the sneaky action before continuing to scan their vile appearance. Long black cloaks covered tall, grey skeletal bodies, their small red eyes shining out from under the hoods. And an irritating clicking sound accompanied their every movement.
                Finally, Megus, the leader, stepped forward and removed his hood; his hairless grey skin glowing yellow in the torchlight and Mendel reacted with dazzling speed. Gripping the hilt of the fire sword he had conjured to complete his disguise, he met the Roamer’s bloodthirsty gaze, aware of their treacherous nature.
                “There is no need for violence here,” said Megus, in response to the threatening gesture. “We have come only for the contents of the sack.” His eyes lingered on the grey bag resting at the Fire Demon’s side and sensing their imminent betrayal Mendel suddenly rushed forward, pulling the fire sword from its silver scabbard and holding it to the Roamer’s throat.
                The flames danced, licking at the grey flesh and suddenly the previously concealed fourth Roamer shot forward from the darkness to join his conspirators.
                Afraid for his life, Megus spat out a venomous order, freezing his minion to the spot. “Stop my brethren! There will be no bloodshed here, especially not mine,” he hissed. The burning flames could cut through steel and Megus was taking no chances.
                A sickly smile spread across his hollow face, slimy black lips peeling back to reveal two rows of pointed yellow teeth meant to confirm his sincere intention. However, unconvinced Mendel remained vigilant and his blade sizzled at the bony throat.
                His black eyes stared threateningly, still suspicious. Then very slowly he at last lowered the sword and addressed his captive. “Speak, Roamer, my patience wears thin.”
                “The one you seek dwells in the Mountains of Eternity. However, she will not be easy to find, her castle lies hidden at its centre. We could show you the way for a small fee.”
                Mendel moved back from the Roamer and picked up the sack. “Here, take your payment, Megus. Your further assistance will not be needed, and you may rest assured that I will find what I seek.” Throwing the sack at their centre, he jumped back quickly, aware of the others closing in for the kill. Then swinging his sword in a deadly circle he vanished in an eruption of orange flames.
                The Roamer’s gasped, stunned by his impressive display of magic then turning to their leader in confusion they awaited his reaction.
                Megus stared, also perplexed by his power. It was almost inconceivable that a Fire Demon could possess such skill, and yet this lowly and anonymous demon had not only managed to hold him hostage but also to evade capture.
                There was much more to this dark creature than met the eye, however, now was not the time to pursue his curiosity. They would meet again soon, their path’s set to collide when his mistress finally gave the command, and until then he would anticipate their next meeting with much enthusiasm.      
                                   
                A few days later, Mendel walked silently through the Valley of Wrath scanning the darkness. With no one around to see him he had dropped his disguise and now appeared in his true and more agreeable form.
                His green eyes were soft and round beneath thick blonde lashes that curled slightly at the ends, and the top part of his shoulder length blonde hair had been tied back with a leather thong in the ancient style of a fearless warrior.
                Standing six feet seven inches tall, with huge shoulders and an athletic muscular frame, he was an imposing sight, even in this world. And although the oppressive atmosphere darkened his mood he was unconcerned by the threatening landscape, easily deflecting the menacing evil emanating from every rock.
                Striding forth into the dangerous canyon he at last felt relaxed and comfortable, and his mind finally banished the vile demons he had recently encountered as he moved forward with power and grace. 
                All around him dead trees jutted out from the sides of the valley, seared by constant lightning, their disfigured limbs reaching out with intended malice. The sun never shone in this desolate land of black sand and red dust, and despair and heartache could easily creep in if you allowed them to touch your heart. Dark energies of hate and war created endless storms that obscured the sky and obliterated any hope of natural life. And only large grey rats survived and were the main source of food in this sparse and barren wilderness.
                Watching his progress with mild interest, the silent Razor Bird sat perched on a brittle branch to the left of the valley, its keen red eyes fixed on Mendel. However, as he drew nearer it suddenly screeched and opened its twelve feet wings to reveal the razor sharp poisonous feathers concealed beneath. A row of smaller pointed feathers stood in a line from the top of its head to the middle of its shoulders and its ebony colouring allowed it to blend perfectly with the gloomy surroundings. This strange eagle-like bird had been following Mendel for three days now, but to his increasing surprise made no move to attack. And although suspicious of its motives, he had decided, for the moment, to let it be. Now, however, he wondered if he was about to regret that generous decision.
                Slowly, the huge bird folded back its wings, eyeing him with contempt, and Mendel once again relaxed, returning his attention to the ominous valley. But as the bird flew up from its precarious perch he lengthened his stride considerably, anxious to reach the relative safety of the open.
                At last emerging from the valley, he could see the Mountains of Eternity looming in the distance and he sighed, glad to be free of the confining canyon. Before him flowed a wide river that rushed hurriedly through a forest of dead trees, cascading into the darkness. And to his left a sloping hillside obscured the horizon.
                Aware that night would soon be upon him he looked around for a safe place to make camp, then deciding to check out the river he marched towards it.
                As he reached the edge, he glanced back at the trees, aware of his vulnerable position, then leaning forward he quickly filled his canteen with clear, fresh water. Looking down he frowned, amazed to see hundreds of coloured fish swimming through the ripples. Nothing lived here, not even in the water; why then was there life in this river? And more importantly, was it edible? The rats here kept hunger at bay but did nothing to entice the appetite.
                As if reading his mind, the strange Razor Bird suddenly landed on a dark grey rock in the middle of the water, its red talons gripping the slippery surface. It watched for a moment, then with lightning speed stabbed a large blue fish with its long black beak. The fish wriggled, fighting for breath then finally losing the battle it hung lifelessly from the end of the sharp dagger.
                With its catch secured the bird flew up from the rock, landing on the bank a couple of feet from where Mendel stood watching. This close up, he was astounded by its immense size. It stood almost seven feet tall, the added height of the foot long head feathers raising it way above Mendel’s own considerable stature, and its fierce red eyes demanded reverence.
                Mesmerized by its striking presence he continued to watch as its huge wings folded back neatly and it bowed forward to unhook its prey. Then using its talon, it pulled the fish from the end of its beak, ripping downwards, and dropping it to the dusty ground. Still glaring at Mendel it moved back awkwardly, returning to the rock to spear another fish which it again caught with ease. Then once back on the riverbank it swiftly pulled the fish from its beak and proceeded to eat. 
                Carefully Mendel walked forward, watching the Razor Bird for movement. But seemingly unconcerned it continued to devour its fish, only passing fleeting glimpses in Mendel’s direction. So swiftly he pulled a piece of cloth from his bag, wrapped the offered fish tightly and quickly put it away.  
                Slowly he backed up then walked towards the trees, looking back to see if his provider would follow. And having finished its meal, the Razor Bird took to the sky and hovered overhead, waiting for the warrior to decide on a direction.
                A little perplexed, Mendel stopped and looked up at his strange new ally, wondering why a Razor Bird would choose to help a human. Then suddenly sheets of lightning illuminated the sky and he crouched down instinctively, dropping his bag to the ground.
                The lightning ceased leaving ominous black clouds to once again claim the sky, and cautiously he rose from the ground and picked up his supplies, throwing the bag to his shoulder.
                Above him the dark bird screeched as if waiting for guidance, and nodding his head in response he moved defiantly into the trees and marched out to face the ever present dangers of Parthalan.


© 2008 Polly Lewis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry it took so long to read it.....(i'll jump the next to the front) Wow....you have a great story telling ability....you capture the reader just right.....EXCELLENT!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


It gets better with each part Polly. I like the character Mendel. Look forward to the next part and to see Ana again.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I was transfixed...the whole scenario 's so delicately depicted... Quite a story telling this is :))))

Immaculate work Polly :))) Welldone....next please....heheh.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2008


Author

Polly Lewis
Polly Lewis

United Kingdom



About
My name is Polly Lewis and I am a struggling new author who would really appreciate constructive comments and advice on my work. Writing is a passion, an expression of our soul. It drives our every .. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Poem by Polly Lewis



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..