Chapter One from The Time of the Changing

Chapter One from The Time of the Changing

A Chapter by Polly Lewis
"

The mystery begins...

"

 

              Chapter One                  
 
                The house was still…nothing moved. Darkness covered the bedroom like a warm, safe blanket. The only sound came from underneath an ornate brass bed in the corner of the room. Here a small child watched and waited. She needed to be sure the danger had passed. She tried to breathe without sound, but the harder she tried the louder the noise sounded in her ears.
                She could not begin to imagine how many hours had passed or how long the house had been calm, but the risk of moving could mean the end…and so she waited.                  
                The peace belied what had gone before and could not be changed. Here in this large three bedroom semi a storm had taken away forever the innocence of a happy six-year-old child. The storm had a name…Daddy.
                On a beautiful August day with sunlight streaming through the large Victorian sash windows, Ana Gelan had watched in silence as her mother had taken her last shuddering breath.  Curled in a tight ball, the floor trembled beneath her with each violent blow as her father systematically beat the life from the woman he loved without regret or mercy.
                Now night had come and Ana could no longer see her mother’s broken body lying motionless on the bedroom floor. She embraced the darkness and found some semblance of peace in the shadows that danced on the windowpanes.
                Slowly she manoeuvred her hands under her delicate frame and pushed herself free from the bed. She listened intently to the silence. Then with small, hesitant steps, taking care to keep her eyes focused on the doorway, she moved forward.
                As she emerged from the bedroom to see the chaos that had once been her home, shock penetrated her senses. The banister had been demolished from one end to the other. The landing light lay in pieces on the carpeted floor and broken fragments of wood hung limply from frames that no longer wished to hold them. 
                Taking a deep breath she walked to the top of the stairs and waited. There was no sound from below, however the hallway beyond might lead to her mother’s killer, so using extreme caution she slowly descended the steps. With each creak of the floorboards she tensed and waited for silence to reclaim the house. Then finally reaching the bottom stair she stopped.
                Squinting into the darkness she tried to make out the kitchen at the end of the long narrow hallway. And although unable to see clearly, she forced herself onwards, listening to every tiny sound, her heart hammering in her chest.
                The walls seemed to close in around her, feeding her fear and absently she reached for her left ear and pulled at the lobe. It was a nervous habit she had acquired recently and one she would never lose.
                As she approached the kitchen doorway, light from the street lamp outside shimmered across the black and white tiled floor and she quickly scanned the room for signs of danger. Still holding her ear she reached forward with her right hand and grasped the doorframe. 
                But as she moved to go through a soft voice washed across her fear and she shivered visibly. It was a voice she knew well; her mother’s voice. And rooted to the spot she turned to look back into the shadowy hallway.
                A small white light drifted down the stairway then floated through the living room door, and she shivered again, her heart pounding in her ears. Then suddenly her vision sharpened, and the darkness of the hallway lifted to reveal the bright welcoming home she had always loved.
                She stared at the pale blue carpet then up at her mother’s beautiful crystal vase resting neatly on the drop leaf table. It had been a gift from her grandmother and as the memory stirred her heart slowed to a rhythmic throb allowing a strange calmness to descend around her.         
                Bright spheres danced at the edge of her vision, pulsing from side to side then blinking in and out of sight. They moved with grace and elegance, calling her name, and as she continued to watch they slowed to allow her to see them more clearly.
                Their dance enthralled her, holding her captive, and as the familiar pulling reached into her heart she moved to follow. They swept playfully along the hallway weaving and twirling, leading her forward. Then one by one they pulsed, exploding with light before disappearing through the living room wall.
                As Ana opened the door, warmth surrounded her slight frame and she immediately relaxed, sensing the nearness of her mother’s spirit. White light bathed the room and she squinted finding it difficult to see. Then suddenly the pulling grew more intense as though some urgency had crept in to replace the calm and instinctively she knew her time was running out.
                Swiftly she moved to the centre of the room, glancing at the window before reaching out to the lights that now swirled in a large mass before her.
                When suddenly a strong, cold hand gripped her shoulder and emptiness swept through her body as she fought to contain the rising panic. A large, dark shadow slowly rose up, obscuring the light and Ana held up her arms to block out the darkness. Her body grew heavy, the energy draining and fatigue spread through her arms and legs like vile poison, breaking her down. The Invisible hand held her trapped and unable to move and beads of perspiration now covered her brow as she began to tremble.
                Frantically she pushed with her mind, struggling to force the darkness away, but it fed on her fear, black liquid seeping into her spirit. She could feel the evil calling to her, taking control, its enchanting wickedness enticing her soul with the promise of power. And with the last of her will ebbing away she began to embrace the pleasures of darkness.
                It pulsed through her veins filling the void with strength and evil, the malice engulfing the kind, gentle nature that had shone so brightly only moments before. Then, just as the last spark of her soul began to fade, a huge blaze of light exploded through the shadow and her mother’s voice rang in her ears.
                “Riana, reach for the light,” it boomed.
                Everything stopped as Ana tried desperately to concentrate on her mother’s voice. She focused her mind, fighting to create a pathway through the darkness, using the last of her resolve to break free. But the immense evil countered easily and held firm.
                Her tiny body remained captive to the unseen force as the shadow absorbed the light around her, increasing in size and continuing its course towards her heart.
                “Riana, use your power; find the light,” said her mother’s voice.
                Still she stood locked in darkness, the shadow’s work almost done. And blackness consumed her as each part of her body unwillingly surrendered to evil, the black shadow finally reaching its goal.
                But as it began to devour the awesome power raging within, her mother invoked the ancient language and the word for release thundered across the room.
                “Nazula! ”
                Its power echoed through Ana’s crumbling mind, dragging her back from the darkness. Her body tingled, responding to the magic as a small throbbing light appeared at the edge of her consciousness. The spark glimmered then slowly began to expand, cutting across the darkness like a mighty sword. White light filled her vision, crushing the evil that lingered within. Then finally, with the darkness beaten, the embers of her true power ignited, awakening her senses and she reached out to reclaim her waning soul.
                Her heart quickened, singing out with the purity of innocence and although the evil fought hard to regain control, the light was unstoppable as it obliterated the darkness.
                The outer shadow moved slightly as if unsure. Then unaware of the lost battle within, its arrogance presumed victory and it surged forward to take its prize.
                Instantly her arms sprang to life, blue light erupting from her fingertips. Magical fire engulfed the shadow hurling it back with incredible force and it shuddered violently. Juddering tremors shook the house, trembling through the foundations. Then at last defeated the shadow recoiled, moving back to cower against the living room wall.
                Power emanated from her bright green eyes as she raised her hands a second time in readiness, waiting for the dark creature to make its move. Then with frightening speed it swirled above her close to the ceiling before streaming down to the floor, only inches from her outstretched hands.
                She hesitated as it massed into a huge grotesque face, its eyes glaring with dark fire. Then unable to move she gasped, fighting for breath as it moved closer.
                Held in its stare she stood mesmerised, watching a gaping black hole crack open before her, revealing large silver fangs and a long black forked tongue. It slithered around the left fang then suddenly spat out, catching Ana cleanly on the mouth.
                The tongue retracted, darting between its silver teeth, leaving Ana locked in agonizing terror. And her eyes widened as the face finally contorted and a dark and terrifying voice filled the room with hatred and malice.
                “I have tasted the lips that will one day be mine, and you have felt the power that will one day be yours. Until then I give you this gift.”
            Pain exploded in Ana’s heart as she fell to the living room floor, and clasping her chest she struggled with the agony vibrating through her small body. Coiled in a shivering ball, she raised her arm, but pain restricted her movement, pinning her to the floor. Then still fighting for breath she watched helplessly as the dark face dissolved and shuddered through the large bay window.  


© 2008 Polly Lewis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on February 15, 2008
Last Updated on February 18, 2008


Author

Polly Lewis
Polly Lewis

United Kingdom



About
My name is Polly Lewis and I am a struggling new author who would really appreciate constructive comments and advice on my work. Writing is a passion, an expression of our soul. It drives our every .. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Poem by Polly Lewis