Untitled

Untitled

A Story by Pierson

ln the hollow of an old tree, two owls prepared a nest.

The owls were excited about their new adventure and wanted their hollow to be the perfect home for their new family.

Together, they worked hard to get the nest just right.

When the pair finally finished their nest, they stood back and admired their work. 

Their hearts swelled.  Their hollow felt like home.

By the end of March, Momma settled onto her three white eggs to keep them warm.

Night and day the owls’ love incubated the eggs.  The owls did not mind waiting for their eggs to hatch, they were a patient pair.

Slowly, the snow faded, and the temperature timidly rose.  Inklings of green began to show.  It wouldn’t be long before their little ones hatched.

One evening, Momma sensed it was time to welcome their family into the world.  She lifted herself from the eggs and snuggled next to Poppa.  

Cracks etched the first egg.  Momma and Poppa beamed with excitement.  Piece by piece, the shell crumbled away and revealed their beautiful little girl.

Momma picked her up and held her close.  They decided to name her Maple.  Momma rocked Maple until she fell asleep.  Hatching was hard work!

The excitement had only begun.  The other eggs had yet to hatch.

Momma and Poppa didn’t have to wait long.  Suddenly, the second egg began to wiggle vigorously.  This little owl was anxious to hatch!

Without warning, the shell bulged and then burst!  Out of the top of the egg popped the head of their second little girl.

Momma and Poppa gave each other a wide-eye glance.  They knew this little one was going to be wild, so they named her Windy.  And it fit her perfectly. 

Poppa and Momma took turns holding Windy and rocked her for a long time before she fell asleep.  

When her breathing finally steadied, Poppa tucked her in next to her older sister.  Momma and Poppa stood back and admired their new babies.  “I love them,” Momma whispered.  “Me too,” replied Poppa with a big smile.

The excitement wasn’t over.  One more egg had to hatch, and then their family would be complete.

“I hope the last one comes soon,” Momma said as she put her ear to the egg.  Poppa looked at her lovingly. “Me too, but a little more time may be all that is needed,” he assured.

Days passed, and the girls did little but sleep and eat. While the little ones slept, the pair patiently waited.  But it seemed like the last egg would never hatch. 

One evening, the girls woke up terribly hungry.  “Good morning, my loves.  How are you?” Poppa yawned.  “We’re hungry!” squealed Windy.  “We’re SO hungry!” seconded Maple.

“Well then,” Poppa began, “I’ll find us something to eat.”  He gave each girl a peck on the cheek and flapped out of the nest.

Both Windy and Maple gasped as they watched Poppa fly away. 

“When will we be able to fly, Momma?” questioned Maple.  

“I want to fly right now!” Windy complained hopping in the air, flapping her nubby wings as fast as she could.

Momma smiled. “With time and patience, you will,” she said as she settled onto the remaining egg. 

Time and patience were of no concern to Windy and Maple.  They waited for Poppa’s return by practicing flying and shouting, “Momma, watch!”

Momma contentedly watched her girls practice.  She gave them words of encouragement and warnings to be careful. To herself, she wondered when their last egg would hatch, or even if it would.  But, she ushered those gloomy thoughts out of her head and reminded herself that some things take extra time and patience.

When Poppa returned, the family sat down to enjoy their meal.  The girls talked and talked throughout breakfast, and asked a lot of questions.  Momma and Poppa took turns answering each one.

After the longest silence of the meal, Maple wondered thoughtfully, “Momma?  When will our sister "” “OR brother!” interrupted Windy. “or brother,” Maple corrected herself, “hatch?”   

The question surprised Momma.  She paused for a moment while two pairs of inquiring eyes waited for her response.

“Well,” Poppa chimed in, “some things take extra time.  And, um.” “And a little more time may be all that is needed,” finished Momma with a smile.

One dawn, after the little ones had been tucked in to bed, Momma took her usual perch on the remaining egg.  She closed her eyes, and softly hummed her favorite song. 

She was a good mother.  For the first time, sadness welled in Poppa’s heart.  He realized their last egg may not hatch.

Sensing his sadness, Momma opened her eyes and looked at Poppa questioningly.  He wiped a tear from his eye.  “Maybe we were only meant to have two little ones," he said.

Momma understood his worry.  She had the same doubts.  However, she shook those sad thoughts by holding on to the hope that this last egg would hatch when it was ready. They just needed to be patient.

She wrapped a wing around Poppa and whispered, “Everything will be okay.  This one is just on its own schedule. Don’t give up.”  Poppa took comfort in her words, and together, they hung on to the hope that their last egg would hatch.

The next night, the girls woke up early.  The family was enjoying breakfast when Windy stopped eating and stared at the remaining egg.  “What is it Windy?” asked Momma.  “There’s a crack in the egg!” she shouted.

Indeed, there was!  The family rushed over to the egg and inspected the new crack.  Momma even wet the tip of her wing and tried to wipe it off in disbelief.  The crack didn’t come off.  It was real!

Momma leaned close to listen to the egg.  Just as her ear nearly touched the shell, the egg twitched. She jumped back, surprised.  

“It moved!” gasped Maple.  The family watched closely.  “It…it moved again,” stammered Poppa.  “Our baby brother or sister will be here soon!” chirped Windy.

The girls ran around the nest too excited to sit still.  Momma and Poppa perched close to the egg and watched.  And waited. And hoped.

It hadn’t been more than a few minutes before the girls started to complain. “Nothing’s happening,” Maple whined.  Windy agreed, “Why is it taking SO long?  We want to meet her!” “OR him!” Maple reminded. 

“I know, girls.  We want to meet him or her too,” Poppa responded gently, “but, we have to be patient.”  “Hatching is hard work,” Momma added. 

The family stayed by the egg most of the night.  Momma watched intently and worried a whole lot.  Poppa worried too, but kept busy by reading a stack of books to the girls and playing games with them.

Occasionally, the egg twitched or wiggled, but no more cracks appeared.  It was a long and tiring night.  Hoping, waiting, and worrying was hard work " almost as hard as hatching. 

That morning, as Momma and Poppa tucked the girls in to bed, a tiny crack intersected the first. Maple spotted it.  “Look!” she pointed, “There’s another crack!” The family huddled near the egg.  Anticipation filled the nest. 

The family held their breath as cracks sprouted slowly across the entire egg.  The shell looked as though it could crumble apart, but nothing happened.  

They looked at each other.  “What’s going on?” Maple questioned.  “Should we help?” asked Windy as she peeled off a piece of shell without receiving an answer.  

Before Momma and Poppa could respond, Maple plucked off a piece of shell too.  Momma and Poppa looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders and joined in pulling off pieces of shell " they wanted to help their little one get out. 

Soon the family had created a large hole, but all they could see was matted tufts of fuzz.

Momma used the tip of her wing and pulled away one last piece of shell.  Behind it rested the sleeping face of their last little owl, smirking as if in the middle of a pleasant dream.  

Poppa wrapped a wing around Momma.  Momma smiled, “We’ve been waiting for you, Oliver.” 

“OLIVER!?” shouted Windy. “Does that mean we have a baby brother!?” 

“Yes, finally,” Momma replied with a grin.  Both girls flapped their wings in celebration.  “We wanted a baby brother!” exclaimed Maple.

Momma and Poppa laughed.  They were happy and relieved to finally have all their little ones with them.

Oliver remained asleep, content and oblivious of the anxiety his late entrance into the world had caused.  

“Wake up, Sweetheart,” Momma cooed, rocking Oliver in her wings.  “We’re so excited to meet you. Wake up, little guy,” Poppa whispered.  Oliver smiled wider in his sleep.  He knew those voices.  They kept him warm.    

After more coaxing, Oliver began to wake up.  Lazily, he stretched, rubbed his eyes, and slowly stared at the new world around him.

It took a moment for Oliver’s eyes to adjust, but once they did, he focused on the welcoming faces of his mom, dad, and two sisters.  

Oliver giggled and buried his face into his mother’s wing.  He was happy to be home.  

 

© 2017 Pierson


Author's Note

Pierson
Any feedback you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow Im speechless... im not usually a fan of fiction but you did a great work here... nice keep this up

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
1 Review
Added on November 29, 2017
Last Updated on November 29, 2017
Tags: family, short story, story, owl, nature, edit, childrens, lit, love