Letter to my future daughter when she turns 18

Letter to my future daughter when she turns 18

A Chapter by Prakruti
"

I went through some difficulties and troubles during my teenage. This is to help my future daughter with the obvious troubles during teenage.

"

Dear Astha, 


When you are reading this, it must be your 18th birthday. I really wish to be around you on this day, feeling extremely happy and fulfilled.  


You would be wondering why your mom is writing you a letter so much in advance and I really don't know when exactly I am going to see you for the first time. But, these are my last few months as a single girl, I might get married by few months or a year from today.  


Of course I have completed my college (apart from some part time courses, your mom loves learning new things!) and I have been working with an ad agency. So, my thoughts over study and work are almost same as some of your thoughts now. They are not formulated yet, as a mother's or a complete woman's thought.  


Yes, I might have some different experiences with life rather than yours, but there are few things that won't ever change. Therefor I would love to advice you something that might change with my age when I am in my 50s. I would love to be my daughter's best friend when still I am in my 20s. :) 


And now coming to the point, Sweetie I really want to share a lot of things with you. But, I don’t want you to get bored with a lot of advice. And apologies in advance, if I can't make you understand the way this is written. After all I am not the matured "mom" yet! 

 

Study what you like:  Honey, if we are in India, specially in a small town or city, you might face society's interference or influence in many of your decisions. But, let me tell you, this is your life. Do what makes you happy. Never opt for a course just because me or your dad is asking to opt for, unless you like the it. Fight for your passions if you have to. We don't want so called respect from people saying that our daughter is a successful "doctor" or " engineer".

  

Search for your passion: At your age, you might get confused about your career or interest area. That's totally OK. Just take a gap while studying. Think, spend some time with yourself and your hobbies. If you don't have hobbies, develop one. Leave everything, and be a vagabond. Roam around, paint, write, read (if you find a library at our home, then your mom is also following her passion!), listen to music, do what makes you free.  When you let yourself free, you get your true call, wait for a sign. 


Your personality: I really can't guess your attributes, nature or qualities right now. However make sure, you don't judge people just depending upon my and your dad's personality. I must have tried hard that you grow up with this beautiful world and not within dead walls of our home. You gotta see good things in others. It might happen that we, your parents are not the "best people" in whole world, but as you can access the world, learn good things from every one.  


Fall in love: If you are dating someone, that's great. If you are not, that is also fine for me. Let me tell you I am accepting your dating stuff happily. Make sure you tell this to me and your dad. I guess we are still "super cool" about everything!! Dating or may be this current relationship is part of your life, but always remember, your career and your family are at the first position. You should never give up your career and family just because of this relationship. Give your best to this relationship honey that is how you love someone. 


Love yourself: If you are an introvert like me, that is totally OK. You don't need to be like others, who can not stop talking. And if you are talkative, that is also great, I would love to hear your stories everyday :) You are at your best, when you are yourself. Be proud about yourself. 


You are the best daughter ever: Yes you are the most beautiful and smartest girl I have ever met. (LOL, I know I have not seen you yet, but I am sure about this) Sweetie, never go by the looks, never feel bad about your shape, skin color or height or any physical attributes. Everyone in this world is different and that defines their beauty. I don't know if you are a Physics star, or a math master, or a future architect, or a dancer, or a writer or may be Picasso is your inspiration. Find your inner soul and it will lead you to your best qualities. 


And I guess, that is end of my written advises. Of course I want to tell you many things but let us save it for future. Plus I also need to make sure that you don’t get bored! I would be extremely happy to continue this talk anytime, sitting on the porch (or I guess there should be a "Jhula" at our place). Now go get your surprise gifts in your room!! Wish you a super exciting and awesome year ahead. 


With Love, 

Your Mom in her 20s. 

 



© 2014 Prakruti


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What an honest piece of soul searching! One, I can certainly share as that feeling of having said and shared everything you wanted it with your loved ones is very important. It is also worth pointing that there is a humbling effect also present as she could also just read it and throw it away as the teenage years can be very selfish and so they should be. So the writing has a quality as if "for what is worth" and as it goes down the lines with everything that I would at least consider sound advice and emotional confessions from mother to daughter there is that desire to enlighten which makes it so vivid. In the hope that by the adolecent knowing that we all went through something similar she might feel more understood and less suceptible to plunging into despair.

Great hopeful lines

Thankyou



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for reviewing. Hope me future daughter likes it ;)
Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Let's hope....



Reviews

This is so BEAUTIFUL!!! Oh my gosh it made me cry! I know your daughter will love this, and you will be a GREAT mom!

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ank
Nice piece of art...I wonder, heaven would be right here on the earth if the world truned out so understanding.

Posted 9 Years Ago


the best letter from a caring and loving friend rather than a mother to a daughter....

Posted 9 Years Ago


What a beautiful write, what a nice work to read, honest and emotional,
thankyou for sharing

Posted 9 Years Ago


very very touching... You must draft this letter in real and save it for your daughter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Hey! A very touching letter it was..things that you wrote are for sure going to help you future daughter because apart from unlimited love, there's so much truth in all the advices you gave her.. :)
Great work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Honestly, I am searching for words to comment on this marvelous write up. This one is... I dunno wat to say. Stunning.

Posted 9 Years Ago


That's honestly a good concept (y)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thank you Deepika for reading :)
It is encouraging, when someone like your concept or writing!.. read more
wow. you did an awesome job here. i m 18 now, and can really feel what you future daughter would feel. your advices on love and career are useful to me. my mom doesnt know i m dating.. (not as cool as you . lol) . but i will tell her soon.
:)
and your judging on qualities is appreciable. i mean do you write for some publication? so perfect one.. systematically arranged. m really impressed. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

hahaha..thanks sweetie:) No I do not write for any publication, just started writing..
I am r.. read more
ayesha gupta

9 Years Ago

:) yeah.. writen a poem "my fantasy world" ..
wow very interesting i am happy to read this .... this shows the ..helplessness as well as caged life due to the stereotype society..... different from others ...sorry that i couldn't find any mistakes enjoyed reading it .. peace keep smiling.. i liked the part study what you want coz i live in country where one becomes doctor and engineer and then decides what he/ she wants to become in life lol..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thanks for review Sreenath. Glad you found it interesting. :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

783 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2014
Last Updated on November 3, 2014
Tags: love, daughter, future, be yourself


Author

Prakruti
Prakruti

Ahmedabad, India



About
An obedient daughter, a cool sister & a "super sentimental" friend I am. I like spending time alone, may be reading books, trying to write something, creating beautiful things, smelling my old books, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stranger Stranger

A Poem by micky