Tree lined lane on the way to college

Tree lined lane on the way to college

A Chapter by Prakruti

I have decided, now when I have left my day job and started freelancing from home, a morning walk shall be part of my routine.

I leave at 6:30 AM and go to the park nearby. Usually dad accompanies me, and I love that. So, the idea of walking to acquaint myself with health does seem like a right thing to do. I shifted here about 15 days back, when it was hot like hell, and gradually, it is changing. This post monsoon season is helping to decline the temperature, today it was really pleasant. I could feel winters coming.

I like the lane leading me to park. It’s a beautiful tree lined lane. The same lanes that lead to my college few years back, it’s splendid. It is lined with different kind of trees, tall, perfectly green, handsome in their own ways.

Good secret keepers they are, carrying many stories since years.

Stories of birds, their love makings, their nests and their chicks. Stories of ants and their hard work through branches while carrying their food. Stories of men resting underneath during hot summers. Stories of lovers, who wrote their names on large mature tree roots. Those herculean trunks have a lot of stories about heart breaks, too.

Next to my house, from where the lane starts, I meet Gulmohur. It does not show its love in a full-fledged manner during autumn, though it will gift me some prettiest orange flowers. And the Neem, he has started changing his colors, faded yellowish leaves are fallen every day, some of them settle with the pages my books with their amazing shape. The bougainvillea looks beautiful as usual.

***

He used to walk with me college every day through those lanes. He would be waiting outside the gate since before I get ready and walk along up to the college. At the entrance, before leaving, I would hug him and he’d smile. Silently. 

He’d lose down my hair and always find a strand to tuck behind my ear, and watch me leaving. I’d go upstairs and watch him from the lobby area.  Then he’d leave.

Not even a bye, goodbye, we were sure about the same routine tomorrow.

On the way, I shall ask for a tea on our way, trying to buy me more time. For this, I cut back on my philosophy lecture or its initial few minutes.

If someday, few classmates meet on the way and talked, they’d have to see our weird gestures, and gradually they stopped disturbing us.

Many a times, he would hum a soothing beautiful song for me and pink color would rush to my chick bums.

Most days, we just walked together in silence. As if I understood what he was saying. I felt the sun on his skin. The smoothness of his malmal kurta. Wind running through his hair.

We never discussed studies, newspapers, gossips. It left us alone on that beautiful lane. Someday he’d pick some Gulmohurs for me. And then, it’d be me, him and the Gulmohur flower.

The way to college, 10 minutes of walk, was everything for me. As if my whole day was all about this walk along him.

***

After 5 years, in these “fast lives �" long distance relationship �"exhausted mind after day job ”, we still have something similar. Our silences talk over the call, at least for few minutes. When it’s raining there, I feel the soothing smell of earth, raindrops on his skin, the taste of his hot tea. 

He’d say “I so want to look into your eyes, play with that strand and tuck behind your ear.”  



© 2014 Prakruti


Author's Note

Prakruti
I feel I get off track while writing, let me know your views.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice. If I understood it right, same lane, same person, but two different walks. While this could benefit from a proofread, your writing is sound. I like the Indian flavor and your colorful descriptions.

Posted 9 Years Ago


you have painted very vivid picture of the beautiful trees, nature and the energy that revive us, I think you off track on the 'tea' part. You must re-read it again, because that's slightly confusing, beside that everything seems to be really good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


i paint a beautiful scenario while reading this....nicely penned :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for reviewing Anshul :)
a picture, colourful, melodious in tone, nostalgic and pensive in feeling. All together a wonderful image of memory, nature emotions and even silence.an effort of merging all these is vivid in these notes. thoughts are developed with nice imagination. memories are well scattered. shall i say drawing these memories is hundred times better than a SELFIE. memories make us optimistic
As a lover of all those above said things memories, silence, emotions and nature i can suggest you different names. if your main theme is nature go to Wordsworth. you can learn a lot from him. if you like emotions go to Keats, silence Sylvia Plath and memories Robert Frost. ascertain your talent by reading from the history but be yourself in writing . I am also feeling nostalgic as i was born in a lake side enjoying Shelly, Shakespeare and Jane Austen. but here in Mumbai nothing girl! nothing.hollow buildings and empty feelings to make up a life .totally EMPTINESS. anyway very glad to read your notes.so keep thinking, keep writing and keep your memories. Thanks & Regards.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thank you Harishbabu
True, memories are the treasure sometimes.
And a big thanks for al.. read more
well written, expressing the excitement of the time when you are with someone special. keep it up, I'd like to read more...:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thank you Sanjh!
Sanjh

9 Years Ago

you are welcome...:)
This is a nice description of the days you spent in the vista( tree lined in both sides of the way) if you mean that and your simple but a wonderful picturesque portrayed is really superb. The routine life you depicted is perfect with natural phenomina I really love this and enjoyed heartitly...
Thanks for sharing...Keep writing ..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing..Happy that you liked it.
And special thanks for "vista" :)
M.A.Rathore

9 Years Ago

Welcome Prakruti..
well written.
the story you are trying to tell unfolds well.
BUT yes it needs work. Can't say you got off track or not but does feel a little scattered though.
you have the talent!!!
i liked it!!!
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prakruti

9 Years Ago

Okay..I get stuck while writing.
Anyway, thank you for reviewing. I will try to improve movin.. read more
Pushkar Prabhat

9 Years Ago

you are welcome........we all get stuck while writing. if you need help, you can send a message! read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2014
Last Updated on November 4, 2014
Tags: walks, college, trees


Author

Prakruti
Prakruti

Ahmedabad, India



About
An obedient daughter, a cool sister & a "super sentimental" friend I am. I like spending time alone, may be reading books, trying to write something, creating beautiful things, smelling my old books, .. more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5