How will putting on the “helmet of salvation” help me if I love a prodigal?

How will putting on the “helmet of salvation” help me if I love a prodigal?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

August 28, 2013: Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post http://www.preciousprodigal.com/blog/13-08-28

"

Ephesians 6:10 “…be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

 

A Facebook friend posted an interesting statement a few days ago. Quoting his pastor, he said that there are five times in the New Testament where we are told to prepare for war without being told to actually go to war. Knowing this friend’s tragic loss and seeing how comforted he was by this, I asked him what verses his pastor had used and did some research of my own. And I was amazed. Why? Because the war mentioned in those Scriptures isn’t about fighting others. Those verses are about the wars that rage inside of us.

 

We certainly know about that kind of battle, don’t we? Loving someone who has broken our hearts and who continues to break our hearts creates such conflicting emotions that our lives, our hearts, and our minds are often in a turmoil. Faith and disbelief, hope and despair, resentment and forgiveness, and sometimes even love and hate can all be going on at the same time in that part of our hearts that nobody sees but us. Whether we talk about it or not, there are times when Satan is winning that spiritual war, and we seem to be powerless to stop it. How in the world can we “be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might?” when those battles are raging inside of us?

 

I think the answer can be found in Ephesians 6:11 where we are told the way to withstand the devil and win that war is to put on the whole armor of God. Although it isn’t the first item on the list, I’m going to start with the “helmet of salvation” (Eph 6:17) because nothing else makes sense without it. Salvation can refer to any number of things. We can be saved from a burning fire or saved from a bad situation. However, when the Bible talks about salvation, it has a specific meaning that answers the question of the Philippian jailor, who asked Paul, “What must I do to be saved?” Paul’s answer was, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.” (Acts 16:32)

 

That kind of believing faith has nothing to do with whether you are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic or any other denomination. It doesn’t ask whether you have been baptized, have joined a church or led a good life. In fact, it isn’t about religion at all. It’s about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You can’t help your prodigal or anyone else, including yourself if you don’t have the kind of peace a relationship with Christ will give you.  That relationship begins at a specific moment in time, and it’s based on a few simple truths that are as simple as ABC.

 

A. We admit that we are sinners. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. (Rom 3:23)

 

B. We believe that Jesus is God’s son and that He paid for our sins on the cross. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

 

C. We confess our faith in Christ. “That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9

 

That relationship between you and the Christ who died for you can begin with a simple prayer, something like this:

 

Dear God, I know that I’m a sinner and I need your forgiveness. I believe that you sent your Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for my sins and that He rose from the dead. I want to receive Him now as my own personal savior. Please forgive my sins and help me to live for you.

 

Challenge for Today: What about it? What about you? Can you, just for today, look at your own life and see the need for a personal relationship with Christ?

 

If you prayed this prayer, will you please send me an email at [email protected] so I can pray for you?

© 2013 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
August 28, 2013:
How will putting on the “helmet of salvation” help me if I love a prodigal?
Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post
http://www.preciousprodigal.com/blog/13-08-28.html

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats