Loving a prodigal is exhausting. How can I have a refreshing in my soul?

Loving a prodigal is exhausting. How can I have a refreshing in my soul?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

October 16, 2013: Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post: http://preciousprodigal.com/blog/blog=index.html

"
Hebrews 11:6 “…for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”

I’ve been at a Bible conference for the past two days. The theme was “Refresh,” and the Bible reference was 1 Corinthians 16:18a, which says, “For they have refreshed my spirit and yours…” These two days have been wonderful. We heard some of the greatest preachers in America and some of the greatest music. And we also enjoyed some of the sweetest fellowship with some of God’s people including my sister. I came away tired, but I also came away refreshed.

People need to have their spirits refreshed from time to time, don’t they? And if you are someone who loves a prodigal, you probably need a refreshing more than most people. It’s easy to believe God when the preacher is speaking with Holy Ghost power, when the choir is singing about the faithfulness of God and when like-minded people are willing and even eager to go to the altar and pray. But what about when we go home to the awful circumstances we live with every day? That’s when we need a refreshing the most. What then? As I was listening to the preachers at this conference, I asked myself how I could take some of that “refreshing” home with me.

Then one of the preachers there spoke directly to that question and directly to my heart. He said Hebrews 11:6 doesn’t just mean that we believe “God is,” but that we believe God still is. You see, it’s easy to believe God is powerful and in control, that He has a plan, that He will take care of us when things are going well, when there’s plenty of money in the bank, when everyone in our family is doing the right thing. If you have received Christ as your Savior, you certainly believed then that God “was.”

The preacher reminded us that not only was God powerful, in control, having a plan and taking care of us…oh and even forgiving our sins and giving us eternal life back then. But He still is! He hasn’t been affected by the government shutdown…He’s not on furlough. He is. Raising the debt ceiling or not raising it isn’t going to change the fact that He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He is. God has never stood there with His mouth hanging open and saying, “Man! I never saw that coming!” Why? Because He is.

Do you remember when you first held that tiny baby in your arms, loving it with all your heart and never dreaming he or she would someday rip that heart to shreds or when you and your beloved swore to love one another forever? You know what? He was God back then when we had all those hopes and dreams for the people we love. And He still is! If I could grasp that simple, basic truth, if you could, I believe our lives would be forever changed and we would have that peace and serenity we so desperately seek. We can trust Him with our circumstances because not only was He the answer in the past…He still is.

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, remind yourself that God not only is, but that He still is? Can you let that truth penetrate your mind and let it refresh your soul?

© 2013 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
October 16, 2013:
Loving a prodigal is exhausting. How can I have a refreshing in my soul?
Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post:
http://preciousprodigal.com/blog/blog=index.html

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on October 17, 2013
Last Updated on October 17, 2013
Tags: Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, circumstances, compassion, complaining, counseling, Desperation, devotions