I never saw that one coming!

I never saw that one coming!

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

March 3, 2014: I never saw that one coming! Please “Share” this new Precious Prodigal Blog Post: http://bit.ly/1pVyNvk

"
Proverbs 3:25 "Be not afraid of sudden fear..."
Do you ever feel like your prodigal, your family, and you yourself seem to be targeted by circumstances and even by Satan himself? It sure feels that way to me sometimes. Seeing the day-to-day things that happen is tough enough, but every once in a while something, usually something serious, comes along and takes me completely by surprise. That’s how it was with Hezekiah, the king of Judah.
The kings and the people of the ten tribes of Israel had a history of doing what was wrong. However, the two remaining tribes that made up Judah had stayed more true to God, and King Hezekiah loved and served the Lord. In spite of that, this was a tough time for Judah, and they were at war with Assyria. War is hard even if it’s for the right reasons, and it can’t have been easy for Hezekiah to see the enemy chipping away at the nation he loved so much. However, it was about to get worse.
After being victorious against other cities in Judah, the king of Assyria now set his mind to come against King Hezekiah and Jerusalem itself…the city of God. He first sent messages to the people telling them they were foolish to trust in their might, their king or their God. Then through his field commander, the Assyrian king sent messages to Hezekiah telling him he shouldn’t be deceived into believing that God could deliver him. I can almost hear Hezekiah saying, “I never saw that coming!”
I’ve been there. You probably have too. We’ve faced some tough times with our prodigals, we’ve tried to do the right things ourselves, and we’ve faced the same things over and over again with courage and hope. Then, seemingly out of the blue, comes a new assault. That beloved prodigal has done something so shocking or shameful that we are taken completely by surprise. What can we do?
When I’m surprised and frightened, my first response isn’t always the best one. That kind of fear can be paralyzing, and like Job, I’m sometimes tempted to say, "…the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me." (Job 3:25) Like Job, it sometimes takes me a while to remember that nothing takes God by surprise. Hezekiah didn’t debate with the messenger, he didn’t wring his hands and pace the floor, wondering what in the world he could do. Instead, he went directly to the One who could do something about it. And God miraculously did what Hezekiah could not.
What are you facing today? Did you find out something you never suspected, and did it cause your heart to despair? Whatever it is and even though you may not have seen it coming, it didn’t take God by surprise. He’s got this just as He always has in the past. He won’t fail us, and we can run to Him just as Hezekiah did and find strength to help in time of need.
Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, take that thing that is overwhelming you to the God who cannot fail? Can you remember that when you can’t see God’s hand, you can trust His heart?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
March 3, 2014:
I never saw that one coming!
Please “Share” this new Precious Prodigal Blog Post:
http://bit.ly/1pVyNvk

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats