I wouldn’t talk to a dog that way! How do you talk to yourself?

I wouldn’t talk to a dog that way! How do you talk to yourself?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

March 10, 2014: I wouldn’t talk to a dog that way! How do you talk to yourself? Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post http://bit.ly/1g168MI

"

Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord…

For the last two days we’ve covered the things we say impatiently and in anger. So far we’ve focused on the things we say to others and how we say them. It’s certainly important that we speak to others with love and respect. However, I have to wonder how you talk to and about yourself. And even if you don’t say the things out loud, what are you saying about yourself in your own mind and heart?

When people we love are acting out in destructive ways, they aren’t the only ones affected by their behavior. It might only be one person acting out, but the entire family suffers. Each family member’s image of himself or herself is damaged, and the prodigals we love often add to that with the things they say. When things around you are in chaos, it’s easy to find your focus shifting to what you should have, could have, might have done and begin to blame yourself for everything since the Korean War.

There are several things wrong with that, not the least of which is that you’re not that powerful. If you can’t make someone do what’s right, what in the world makes you think you made the same person do what was wrong? Another problem with negative and sometimes brutal self-talk is that it’s contrary to what God says about us.

According to God, you are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Ps 139:14) and “precious in His sight.” (Isa 43:4) But then God goes even further and says, “I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.” (Isa 43:1) The God who loves you and me with an everlasting love has determined we are valuable and has called us His own. Who are you and I to put less value on ourselves than God does?

However, the biggest problem with the way we talk about and to ourselves is that it’s not pleasing to the Lord. Romans 8:33 asks, "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth." If you are God’s child, you are His “elect,” and you don’t have the right to beat yourself up.

I know what it’s like to be in the storm, and I know what it’s like to blame myself. When your heart is broken and your dreams are shattered, it’s easy to take that next step and begin to berate and belittle yourself and talk to yourself in ways you would never talk to another person.

Think for a minute about your daughter, your favorite sister or your best friend and imagine they are facing the same situation you are. What would you say to them? Would you shame them and tell them what a failure they are when their heart was already in shreds? Of course not! And you wouldn’t be much of a friend of you did. Then why would you treat yourself that way? God has a better plan…not only does He expect you to treat others with courtesy and respect. He expects you to treat yourself that way as well.

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, put a leash on self-talk and be gentle with yourself? Can you remember that you are precious to the God who knows your name?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


Author's Note

Precious Prodigal
March 10, 2014:
I wouldn’t talk to a dog that way! How do you talk to yourself?
Please “Share” this link to a new Precious Prodigal Blog Post
http://bit.ly/1g168MI

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats