But...but...but that wasn’t part of the plan!

But...but...but that wasn’t part of the plan!

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

May 5, 2014: But...but...but that wasn’t part of the plan! Please "Share" this new Post from Precious Prodigal: http://bit.ly/RlkRNO

"
Prov 16:9 “A man's heart deviseth his way, but the Lord directeth his steps."

I’m a great believer in lists, and I have lists for every aspect of my life…an ongoing grocery list, a list for household chores, a “honey do” list, and a list of what I hope to accomplish each day. I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I put a check mark next to something on one of those lists. What’s wrong with that?

Well, nothing…there’s especially nothing wrong with the list of things I want to accomplish each day. That list of daily goals often comes during my prayer time, and I consider it a very good thing. However, if I’m not careful, I will find myself a servant to the lists instead of having those lists be of service to me. Schedules seem to me to be a natural partner to lists. In fact, aren’t they lists too?

I don’t know about you, but I want to know what and how things are going to happen today, tomorrow, next week and even next year! I want to plan, organize, make a priority list and then have things happen in the way I expect. None of us like change, but I’m likely to be feeling totally aggravated and out of control when things don’t go the way I plan.

Living in a dysfunctional home situation or going through some crisis can make us feel like our whole world is spinning out of control. That’s scary for me, and it’s probably scary for you as well. That’s especially true if you love a prodigal, and his or her destructive behavior not only impacts your life and breaks your heart, but it’s also overwhelming because it’s totally out your control.

According to Proverbs, there’s nothing wrong with making plans or schedules or lists. In fact, the Scripture says it’s ok to “devise” or plan something with careful thought according to what is in our hearts. However, the rest of the verse reminds us that however much we plan, we need to keep in mind that God will direct our steps.

God’s thoughts and His ways are not the same as ours (Isa 55:8), and His plan for our lives and even our day is going to be better, higher, more wonderful than anything we could possibly plan for ourselves. His stop signs are there for our safety, His detours are to a better path, and His trip cancellations are for our good.

Whether I state it or not, I have an opinion about most things. Don’t you? And I certainly have an opinion about what needs to happen in my life and in the lives of the people I care about. It might even be a good plan; hey, it might be a great plan. However, if it’s not God’s plan, it’s not the best plan.

So I’ll continue setting goals and making lists. I’ll even continue “devising my way” according to the deepest desires of my heart. However, in those goals and lists and plans, I’ll add a line that says, “Let God direct your steps today according to His will.”

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, let go of the iron grip you have on your life? Can you make plans but leave yourself open for God to direct your steps?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe