Handfuls of Purpose

Handfuls of Purpose

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

May 7, 2014: Handfuls of Purpose Please "Share" this new Precious Prodigal Post: http://bit.ly/Sv7bRH

"
Ruth 2:16 “And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them…

In book of Ruth, the Bible tells the beautiful love story of Ruth and Boaz. Ruth had come to Bethlehem with her mother-in-law Naomi. They were both widowed and in desperate poverty. Israelites left the crops in the corners of their fields un-harvested so the poor could glean there and have food. Any sheaves of grain that were dropped were also left for the poor. Boaz, knowing Ruth’s character and touched by her circumstances, told his workers to drop some grain on purpose so she would have enough and more than enough. What a kind and thoughtful thing for Boaz to do!

I want to be a thoughtful person, and I try. But it isn’t something that comes naturally to me. I’m much more likely to get caught up in a book, my blog or a poem I’m writing. And before I know it, I’ve missed an appointment, failed to return a call, or forgotten someone’s birthday.

I don’t think the problem is wrong priorities, and I can’t say I don’t have enough time. I have the same 24 hours everyone does. The problem, I think, is that I often spend my time doing what’s urgent rather than what’s important. Some days I’m so busy putting out brush fires that I don’t have time to do the things that should have been my first priority.

Don’t get me wrong. Sometimes things happen that require us to change our priorities. The baby spikes a temp, the refrigerator breaks down, or the cable goes out. But I’m talking about the everyday things that steal our time and keep us from being productive, effective, and even thoughtful of others.

Life continues to show up, doesn’t it? That’s especially true if you love a prodigal. I haven’t finished my blog for the day, and a crisis happens. I’m having my devotions or working on my book, and the phone rings. Before I realize it, the day is half gone, and I’ve accomplished nothing. What’s the solution?

For me, it means getting organized and doing some planning. I’m busy, and I don’t see that changing. So if I’m going to do the things that are important rather than just urgent, I’m going to have to do them on purpose. Scheduling a “date night” with Harry may not seem spontaneous, but it’s more likely to happen if it’s written in ink on the calendar.

Was it any less God’s provision because Boaz told his workers to drop some “handfuls of purpose?” Absolutely not…it was a combination of God’s provision and Boaz’s wisdom. God gives us a new day each morning…that’s His part. My part, using it wisely, will never happen by accident. It will have to be on purpose. It might mean getting ahead in my blog, putting that lunch with a friend on the calendar, or jealously guarding my time alone with the Lord each morning. Setting my priorities “on purpose” will banish some of the time wasters and help me make the best use of my day.

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, make some changes “on purpose” so you’re doing what’s important to you rather than just urgent?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe