Five Finger Recovery: Why must I take care of myself first?

Five Finger Recovery: Why must I take care of myself first?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

May 22, 2014: Five Finger Recovery: Why must I take care of myself first? Please "Share" this new Precious Prodigal Post: http://bit.ly/1k8Zon9

"
Song of Sol 1:6b "...they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept."

I’ve often said there just aren’t enough hours in the day. Fact is, however, I have the same 24 hours in my day as everyone else. If other people have time to take care of themselves and I don’t, the problem isn’t the number of hours in the day.

You might be saying to yourself, “she obviously doesn’t know what my life is like, or she wouldn’t even suggest there’s time to take care of myself!” How can that happen when I have so many things demanding my attention? And what kind of parent, spouse, sister, brother, friend would I be if I put my own needs first?

I’m not trying to minimize the stress or responsibility we might have for sick loved ones, fussy babies, busy schedules, church and all the other demands we face. I’m also not saying there won’t be times when we have to put the needs of others ahead of our own. What I am saying is we can only neglect our own needs for so long before we have nothing left to give.

A Hospice social worker told me recently that caretakers of terminal patients often die before the people they are caring for. That’s because caretakers are experts at taking care of everyone but themselves. I’m not talking only about taking care of terminal patients. I’m also talking about those of us who make themselves insane by trying to “help” people who won’t try to help themselves and everything between those two extremes.

My husband and I had custody of two of our grandkids for three years, and one of them had leukemia. The kids’ therapist cautioned me about establishing priorities in caring for those desperately needy kids. I was astounded when she said I needed to take care of myself first, my relationship with my husband second, and then give the children everything I had left. Was she insane? That little guy had leukemia!

She explained that I had to take care of myself first and safeguard my marriage if I intended to meet the needs of those kids for the long term. I certainly didn’t do that perfectly because I don’t think clearly when I’m fearful or worried or my heart is involved. However, establishing those priorities to the best of my ability one day at a time meant I DID have something left to give them.

If we’re going to take care of ourselves, we should take a look at what our needs are. Self-care means we take the time to eat and sleep, and we find a balance between work and play. It means we sometimes take a break just to rest and do nothing. It means we take time to develop friendships and reach out to others and that we allow ourselves some time to enjoy our lives. Yes, enjoy.

In a commercial about osteoporosis, Sally Fields says, “I have this one body and this one life...” She’s right, and both that body and that life are gifts given to us by a God who loves and values us. It’s our responsibility to take care of ourselves by appreciating, respecting, and enjoying those gifts.

Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, remember that you’re worth it and take care of yourself today?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe