Am I living in fear about what might happen tomorrow?

Am I living in fear about what might happen tomorrow?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Here's the Precious Prodigal post for July 28, 2014: Am I living in fear about what might happen tomorrow? #justfortoday Please "Share" using this "ShortLink" = http://bit.ly/1rSQbSJ

"
Deut 33:25: "...as thy days, so shall thy strength be."
Like artists, writers often see things a little differently from the way most people do. Some of the greatest and most successful fiction authors find the seed for their stories in “What if…?” They will see cars waiting at a red light and wonder, “What if that red car doesn't even slow down?”
For authors, that’s a wonderful ability…their being able to ask “What if?” allows them to come up with a story totally from their imagination of what might happen “if.” Of course, they need writing skills to go along with that ability, but the germ of almost any idea that causes authors to write successfully begins with “What if?”
While “What if…?” might be great for authors, it doesn’t work as well for those of us who love a prodigal. We look at the wreckage of the past, the pain of the present and sometimes sit there desperate with fear about what’s going to happen in the future. That kind of fear isn’t limited to us either. There’s plenty of it and to spare for everyone who tries to predict what “might” happen with the circumstances they are facing.
That’s one of the many things Jesus addressed in His “sermon on the mount” in Matthew 5-7. He said that people weren’t to worry about what they would eat or drink or how they would be clothed. He said that God already knows our needs and, because God does know, we are not to worry about tomorrow. He then added, “Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” (Matt 6:34)
Our lives are a lot more complicated than food and clothing, aren’t they? You might be thinking your problems are a lot bigger and more serious than that, and you’re probably right. But have you ever considered that, although some problems might seem bigger than others to you, they are all small to God? The God who spoke the galaxy into existence says, "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?" (Jer 32:27)
Custody of our two grandkids was being transferred back to their parents, who had not been to treatment or even to any real counseling. I was almost paralyzed with fear about it, and knowing God was “in control” didn’t help me one bit. Every time I said I couldn’t handle it, a precious friend helped to keep me anchored by asking me, “What is your reality right now?” And my reality at the moment was that the kids were still safe with us.
It isn’t that their going home was a good thing. It wasn’t. It isn’t that there wasn’t cause for real concern. There was. It was a real enough problem. It just wasn’t today’s problem. I was trying to carry tomorrow’s problem with today’s strength, and that’s just not possible. One of God’s promises to us is that our strength will be “as our days.” (Deut 33:25) God has promised to give us strength, and He will…but only for today.
I’m not saying we should bury our heads in the sand or be like the famous “Ms. Scarlett” saying, “I’ll think about that tomorrow.” There are some things that demand our attention and ignoring them could cause a disaster. We need to do the next right thing…that’s what responsible adults do. But if we’re trying to carry tomorrow’s burdens with today’s strength, we shouldn’t be surprised if those burdens are too much for us. And maybe we should consider laying them aside.
Challenge for Today: Can you, just for today, focus on using your strength for what you are facing today instead of wasting it by worrying about tomorrow?

© 2014 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on July 28, 2014
Last Updated on July 28, 2014
Tags: Accepted, Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, armor, armour, arrogance, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, carrying burdens, chaos, chrysalis, chu