Tools for a happy life - Days 1 & 2

Tools for a happy life - Days 1 & 2

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Today's Precious Prodigal's Post = http://bit.ly/1lO8BVV Like what you see? Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends. Want to read more? Go To: preciousprodigal.com

"
Today's Precious Prodigal's Post = http://bit.ly/1lO8BVV
Tools for a happy life - Days 1 & 2
Like what you see?
Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends.
Want to read more? Go To: preciousprodigal.com
- - - - -
On the second day I was supposed to share tools I use to find the joy in each day, I forgot to do it. "frown emoticon" And that takes me to the second tool, which is:

Day 2: Get off your own back.

It’s been my experience that people who are harsh and critical of others are often beating themselves up as well. I’ve found that if I cut myself some slack, I’m more likely to cut others some slack as well. How can we be loving and kind to others if we don’t know how to be kind to ourselves?

Wouldn’t it be great if life came with a book of instructions and a reset button? But it doesn’t work that way. Ever. We all screw up and (hopefully) learn from it. Then (again hopefully), we move on. However, if you and I get stuck in a vicious cycle of bitter remorse, replaying every mistake we’ve ever made, how can we find any peace at all?

I was tearfully rehashing with a friend something I did a very long time ago and have regretted for my entire life. She listened quietly and then thought for a minute before she responded. She didn’t make excuses for me or blame my bad childhood. She just asked me two simple questions.

She first told me to imagine that the person I love most in the world had done the very same thing. However, this person was genuinely sorry...in fact, she was brokenhearted over it and was asking me to forgive her.
Would I forgive her or would I hold it over her head and keep bringing it up to her again and again? You know the answer to that as well as I do. I would put my arms around her, assure her God had forgiven her and so did I. Then I would tell her to forgive herself and move on. I’d want to comfort and reassure her that her past doesn’t determine her future.

Then my friend gave me this scenario. Just suppose for a minute that you had to go to prison for something...specifically, that “something” you’re beating yourself up about. How long would the sentence be? I’m asking you the same thing. Whatever your answer to that might be, it probably wouldn’t be life without parole. So why are you locking yourself in that prison of unforgiveness for what you deeply regret when you can’t change the past?

If we’ve asked God to forgive us, have made it right to the best of our ability and are trying to make better choices today, maybe it’s time to forgive ourselves and move on. In Romans 8:33, Paul asks, “Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect?” The answer sadly is that too often we do it to ourselves.

Want to be a little happier this holiday season? 

Stop beating yourself up and Let. It. Go.

- - - - - - - - - -

A loved one told me recently that I “can bring happy into the most difficult situations.” That’s not strictly true because I have “those days” just like anyone else. But I totally believe what I told her, which is that all I have is a small ability to find the joy that God makes available every day and in any situation.

However, as I reflected on that conversation, I realized I really am “happy” most of the time. So I decided to make a list of tactics I use to make that a reality in my life. I’ve found that when I employ some simple tools, I’m much more likely to find serenity, peace, joy and yes...even happiness. When I don’t...well, you know, right? I’m as unhappy and miserable as a person can be.

So I’m going to take these 30 days leading up to Christmas and share a different tool I use every day between now and Christmas Day. I guarantee that if you try these tactics, you are much more likely to have a “Happy Holiday.”

Day 1: Each Day is a Gift.

I remind myself that this day is a gift that starts with the rising of the sun and has an expiration date. I can never re-live these 24 hours no matter how much I might someday wish I could do it over and make different choices. If I have a limited number of days to live (and I do), I’m not willing to waste even one of them being totally miserable.

That’s one of the reasons I get up so early. Every morning when that sun comes up, I remind myself that “This is the day that the Lord has made...” (Psalm 118:2) and that the days I have “under the sun” are a gift from God. (Eccl 5:18) Whether I unwrap that gift and look for the beauty of it or choose to waste it is up to me.
Some days, I admit, I let circumstances steal my joy. But if I’m honest, I have to admit that I let it happen. 
Because God’s plan for my life is that I would not only have life, but that I would have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)

So the first tactic I use (and you can use if you choose) is to remind myself that today is a gift. What I do with it is totally up to me. For me, for today, I choose to rejoice in the gift of this day.

© 2015 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on November 27, 2015
Last Updated on November 27, 2015
Tags: ccepted, Accountability, adversity, affirmations, Alanon, angels, armor, armour, arrogance, bail, Believing God, bitterness, blame, brothers, building, burden, carrying burdens, chaos, Chekhov’s gun