How can it be well with my soul when my life is falling apart?

How can it be well with my soul when my life is falling apart?

A Story by Precious Prodigal
"

Current Precious Prodigal Post = http://bit.ly/2aLzW8Z Like what you see? Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends. Read more by going to: ritamoritz.com/Blog

"
Current Precious Prodigal Post = http://bit.ly/2aLzW8Z
How can it be well with my soul when my life is falling apart? 
#‎peacelikeariver‬ ‪#‎Godsgotthis‬
Like what you see?
Please "Like" & "Share" with your online friends.
Read more by going to: ritamoritz.com/Blog
======================================================
2 Kings 4:26 “… It is well:”

It’s been a tough few weeks at our house. We had a serious medical scare when my sister was admitted to ICU, and we thought we were going to lose her. She has improved, and it looks like she will make a full recovery. However, it took a toll on our emotions while it was happening. Nothing can steal our peace like worrying about family.

2 Kings 4 tells the story of the Shunammite woman who made a little chamber for the prophet Elisha because he often passed by there. She wanted nothing in return…she just had a good heart and wanted to serve God’s man. Besides, she already had position, power, and money. The only thing she didn’t have was a child. So Elisha performed a miracle, and she and her elderly husband had a son.

When that child was grown, he became ill and died. I don’t know how I would have reacted, but what she did was to go looking for the man of God. Elisha saw her a long way off and sent his servant to meet her and ask, “Is it well with thee?” But he didn’t stop there. He also asked if it was well with her husband and her son. Her answer was, “It is well.”

As I read that story in 2 Kings, I thought about a man named Horatio Spafford. He was a Chicago lawyer with a wife, four daughters, and one son. When his son was four, the little boy died of scarlet fever. A year later, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed Spafford’s real estate investments.

Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe so his family could rest and try to recover from these tragedies. When last-minute business kept him from going with them, he sent his wife and daughters ahead with plans to join them later. Days later, he received word that the ship had been in a collision, and only his wife had survived.

How anguished he must have been when he received the telegram from his wife that read, “Saved alone!” His son gone, his wealth devastated, and now his precious daughters were also gone. How would he respond? On a ship going to join his devastated wife, he wrote the following words to “It is Well with My Soul”:

When peace like a river attendeth my soul.
When sorrow like sea billows roll.
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say:
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Both the Shunammite woman and Horatio Spafford knew it isn’t “peace like a river” that makes it well with your soul. It’s the God of that peace, and He is still God when the “sea billows roll.” Whatever our circumstances, we can count on the fact that “God’s got this” and is still in control. When those storms come (and they will), remembering that God is in control is something we need to hold fast.

Challenge for Today: what might happen if we, just for today, remembered that God wasn’t surprised by our circumstances and He’s still in control?

© 2016 Precious Prodigal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on August 8, 2016
Last Updated on August 8, 2016