Introduction to myself (plus a few other questions)

Introduction to myself (plus a few other questions)

A Chapter by Erin
"

In which I introduce myself to cover all my bases.

"

From my game plan, I was going to do an introduction of some sort.


I guess I’ll start this introduction the same way I begin any email I send out:


Hello!


This is always a great way to start anything out. There’s an introductory word, an exclamation point, and a positive tone. I feel as if you can almost see my smile whenever I start anything with that single word.


My name is Erin. At this point in time, I’m 18 years old. Coincidentally, I’m exactly one month away from turning 19.


That’s weird. I actually haven’t thought about this until right now. That’s really weird.


It’s not because I don’t want to turn 19 �" by all means, I’ll be 19 and there’s nothing I can do about it �" it’s just that I’ve been perfectly content with being 18.


When I was 14, I wanted to be 15 so I could get my driving permit. When I was 15, I wanted to be 16 so I could get my driver’s license. When I was 16, I wanted to be 17 so I could see R-rated movies in theaters (I’ve seen 3 or 4 to this date). When I was 17, I wanted to be 18 so I could tell people I was a legal adult.


What will 19 bring me? Absolutely nothing. I guess I’ll be closer to 21, which brings me a plethora of new freedoms. Then I’ll be closer to 25, which brings me the freedom to rent a car from most rental companies.


Ah, 25. It shall be a good age.


Anyway.


I have a family. I have a mother and a father and a sister. At the moment, I have two dogs and four cats (this, sadly enough, is an all time low for pets in my family). The dogs are Labrador Retrievers; the cats are domestic longhairs, a Siamese, and a tabby.


I have a car. It’s a lovely machine that brings me places.


I have a job. It gives me money and it makes me happy.


I go to college. I just finished my first year. I’ll probably have fifteen more years before I’m done, but it’s a win either way.



Well, what else do I say?


Whenever I have been interviewed, I tell my prospective employers I’m hardworking, devoted, and a fast learner. Those are good things to know about me.


Sure, they’re not always true, but my prospective employers don’t need to know that.


I guess I don’t have to get all deep about who I am and what this means. There’s nothing more you need to know when it comes to who I am. Consider me a girl who loves a lot of things.


But I’m not typing to just introduce myself, since I predicted this wouldn’t last very long.


I’m also going to answer a couple of questions. They’re considered icebreakers, I guess? I’m going to start with the only non-icebreaker question, only because I’ve been asked this question a few times:


How was your first year of college, Erin?


Well, it was brilliant. It was terrific. It was fantastic. I definitely cannot complain.


Above is how I usually answer that question, but I know some people like substance in an answer, especially an answer on the internet. I’ve got all day and frankly, I’d rather answer this question with a lot more substance. I think this question is asked because it’s a really good opening question in any conversation, especially with someone who recently finished her first year of college. Because it’s considered an opening question, I have a tendency to treat it as such. This means I water my answer down to these four sentences, plus or minus a few words.


So the following is how I would actually prefer to answer the question. This question really does deserve substance.


My first year of college was magical. I went in thinking it was going to be the worst thing ever, and I was wrong. I had an amazing roommate and we had no problems (well, no problems I’m aware of). I had some really fantastic classes with great people. I met so many people (I’m pretty sure my phone’s contact list doubled in size). My teachers were good, most of the time. I had a few teachers I didn’t really enjoy, but such is life. Life handed me good teachers and bad teachers, and told me to deal with them. And I really feel like I dealt with them the best I could.


I learned so many things. I learned about electromagnetism, Divergence Theorem, mountaintop coal mining in West Virginia, and how to write code for a Java program. I also learned which way is north, which dry cleaner cleans marching band uniforms the fastest, and which dining hall had the best sandwiches.


I also made really good friends. I met a lot of people, and I’m sure I will not interact with a lot of those same people next semester, but that doesn’t matter. Some of those people I met are some of the greatest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. Some of them are incredibly smart; some are hilarious; some are caring and supportive; some are all of the above.


Along with the good friends I made, I also learned who my good friends were in high school. I know this because I actually saw them on weekends and during breaks. I actually made an effort to keep in contact with them, and they extended that same effort. Now, I’m not saying that all my friends from high school who didn’t try to keep in contact with me are bad friends. I’m only saying I’m so surprised by the people who texted me now and then during the year.



And above is why I water the answer down. Because four paragraphs worth of college-talk from me is about three-and-a-half paragraphs too many.


Other questions!


What do I love? My family, my friends, my animals, my job, music, marching band, learning, and college.


What do I fear? Spiders, along with a lot of really weird things that are hard to explain in a blog.


Movies I enjoy? Anything with Keanu Reeves (I know a lot of people don’t like him, but I think he’s brilliant), anything with Nicolas Cage (he makes me laugh because of his questionable acting), and anything attached to J.J. Abrams (it’s a long standing thing, see below). I enjoy Disney movies (and Pixar, and Dreamworks, I don’t discriminate) and even the occasional romantic comedy. If I had to pick one genre of movies that I thoroughly enjoy, it would be the soul-crushing depressing movies that are released now and then. And it’s not because they’re depressing but because these movies tend to be well made.


TV shows I enjoy? Lost (which began my infatuation with anything J.J. Abrams touches), Homeland, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Revolution (I realize this show is not that good, but that doesn’t stop me from really enjoying it), and Doctor Who (but this is a very recent thing).  There are other shows that are now cancelled that I really liked (Fairly Legal and Alcatraz, the former being a really good show and the latter being a flop). There are shows I support but don’t watch that often (Person of Interest and Law and Order: SVU). There are shows I enjoy but didn’t list prior to me thinking about this question (Family Guy and America’s Next Top Model, to which the latter only includes the first ten seasons or so).


Music I enjoy? That’s a really complicated question for me, so I’ll leave it at everything expect country. Nothing against country music; I just haven’t gotten farther than the Dixie Chicks when it comes to country music.

What I’m planning on doing this summer? Uh, nothing, I guess? I’m working, I’m writing this blog, I’m sorting through things I own, and I’m sleeping.


My major in college? Physics. And yes, I know this isn’t for everyone.


What I plan on doing with my major? No idea. Maybe I’ll teach.



And that’s about it. At least, this is all of the introductions I want to make at the moment.


And so ends my game plan. All I had planned was introductions, and now I’m going to wing it from here. I have a few ideas at the moment. We’ll see where that takes me.



© 2013 Erin


Author's Note

Erin
Let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

concise writing. I enjoy the voice and even though, I don't know you, your blog is still interesting

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on May 21, 2013


Author

Erin
Erin

., CO



About
My name is Erin (well, yes, that is indeed obvious). I'm 19, I'm in college (physics major ALL THE WAYYYYY), and I understand the boredom of all my summers will be upon me for the next 10 years (depen.. more..

Writing