Promises of the Future

Promises of the Future

A Story by Lilly Chapman
"

Lillian Henke and I wrote this.

"

Promises of The Future

“Will you marry me?” He said with a look in his eye, like she was his whole world, like a lion looking down at its prey. “Yes!” Kaylin screamed overflowing with joy, tears formed in her eyes, she never felt happier. They kissed and spent the rest of the next few days with there family in happy bliss.

A week later she was having a girls night in with her best friend, Emma.“ Okay, so what happened? I want details! How did he propose? Can I be a bridesmaid? What color is your dress? When is the wedding?!?” Emma exclaimed

“ Whoa slow down, and of course you can be a bridesmaid your the maid of honor! I'm thinking a yellow dress for me and red for the bridesmaid. Oh, and look at these cute dresses I found online!” Katylin showed Emma a picture on her phone of bridesmaid dresses with a white strapless top fading into a Marigold yellow bottom.

“ I love them!” she screamed. Just then she got a call, made the number one with her finger and walked to the other room. A few minutes later she returns “ I am so sorry I have to go duty calls. Can we reschedule? Maybe next weekend?”

“Sure text me later.” Kaylin said “ Have fun!” she shouted after Emma as her car faded from sight. She walked back inside and looked at the coffee table looking at all the food.

   

                                   

“ No point in wasting food,” She said to herself. She put a movie in and started pigging out. Two hours later she awoke to a knock on the door

Her first thought was that it was her fiance or Emma, she didn't even check the peephole just opened the door and stared out. The first thing she realized was that there was no one there, the second was a dirty white notecard on the first step. When Kaylin first picked it up she noticed the dirt and grime on it, then she read what was on it DONT MARY HIM….9.8.200. “How could they know? I mean I never told anyone else what that date meant other than Emma.” She thought that even though she knew what she had to do.

When she got to the place she instantly got flashbacks. “Mama, why are we here?” Kaylin said just 8 at the time.

“We are in my new home Kay.” She said sounding loving but there was pain in her words.

“But we are in the street Mommy.” She said proudly. Her mother just had a tear down her eyes.

“Kay my darling, do you mind going in the park for a second. I’ll hide and you seek but whatever you do don’t go down this street, ok?” Kaylin nodded and went to the park to count, gunshots rang down from the street. She regretted not listening to the last words her mother ever said to her. As she looked around she saw a little note card CHANGE OF PLANS GO TO EMMA’S HOUSE. She had to know what all this meant.


Soon she approached Emma house, all the lights were off but the door was wide open. Kaytlen pushed the door open wider and stuck her head in.“Hello? Em?” She walked into the house “Come on Em answer.” She pleaded silently to herself. “I’m in here! She heard Emma say as she walked into Emma’s bedroom.

“ Emma? Who’s that? Why does she look like me?” Emma screamed confused.

“ Wait I thought she was you. She told me her name was Kaylin. She looks like you.” Emma turned at the stranger “ Who are you?!?”

“ I already told you my name is Kaylin,” The imposter said. Emma looked at her then Kaylin and sighed

“ Yeah right. Look I’m going to call the cops?” Kaylin said and started to walk to the phone.

“ WAIT!” the Imposter screamed grabbing her arm,“ 9.8.200.” Kaylin froze and threw her arm down so the girl would let go. Emmas' head snapped to attention.

“ How do you know that?” She asked her hands and voice shaking.

“I told you, I am you from a year give or take a couple days into the future.” The girl looked at her wrist. “You're making a mistake, a deadly mistake.” She moved her wrist aside and Kaylin saw the giant cut would that went from her ring finger down to wear her shirt went, she didn't want to know how far it went.

“ Okay, how do I fix it?” Kaylin questioned worrying for the girl.

The stranger looked at her and sighed, “You won’t believe me if I told you,” the girl stood up a little straighter, “but I have to try.”

“ I’ll listen I promise.” She spoke quickly as if the words were going to burn her if she didn't say them quick enough The girl looked at her with remorse.

“You can’t marry Mark”

“What?! NO! I love him!” Kaylin cried.

“I’m sorry but if you wish to survive,” she looked out the window. “If you wish for your friends to survive, you can’t.”

“I love him and I would rather die than live a day without him.” She ran out of the house as fast as she could leaving Emma behind. She ran right to the cemetery and to her mother’s grave. She cried there because for she knew she was helpless against fate.

“ You know that she’s right.” a voice said from behind her. She stood up from her fetal position hoping it’s not true. see an old woman with brown hair like hers and soft eyes that have been crying.

“Why, why must I have been cursed with losing my love and my mind?” Kaylin said still

“You know I’m real Kay even if you don’t want to admit it.” The old women said softly toward Kaylin.

“I have to marry him, Mom, he’s my true love,” Kaylin said meeting the baker chocolate eyes of her mother that matched her own.

Her mother smiled back at her “Is he really?” She said slowly turning and then fading. A young man started running towards Kaylin, the man was tall around 4 inches taller than Kaylin and he was built like a weightlifter which was ironic with the size of his arms. “Kaylin there you are!” He said surrounding her with his arms, he had her jacket in his arms and a scared look on his face. “Here put this on,” Aowyn said handing her the jacket, “I was so worried when I got a text from Emma saying that you stormed out of her place after a women came in claiming to be you.” Kaylin shivered and he looked down at her softly. “Let’s go, I’ll drive you home,” Aowyn said leading the way to his car.

The next day Kaylin was sitting on her couch wrapped in a blanket with a hot drink, “What did the women in Emma’s house mean? What did mom mean? Why was there a scar running down the girl in Emma’s house’s arm? Is that my…” Kaylin’s thoughts were quickly interrupted by her phone buzzing. “You ok?” Kaylin gave a small smile, even when she’s dealing with stuff and inconveniencing him Aowyn was still there. She sighs knowing what she has to do I’m going to marry him no matter what. She thought to herself.

A year later it was the day of the wedding, the flowers were set up in a beautiful manner the lilies and the violets almost like it was their own wedding.“You ready for this, Kaylin?” Emma questioned already in her white and yellow dress.

“Ya, But I am really nervous,” Kaylin said back nervously her hand shaking if she didn't have her hair put up neatly she would be messing with it.

“Why?” Emma questioned she was adjusting her dress again, she had been doing it all morning and making Kaylin even more nervous.

“It’s the flowers,” Kaylin said in a deadpan tone. Emma looked at her really confused and she sighed, “I was being sarcastic, it’s the death threat.” She said looking up to the mirror. She always hated how she looked, it reminded her of her mother and father both who left her, if it wasn’t for Emma she would be dead.
“You’ll be fine Kaylin,” Emma said as reassuring as someone with doubt can be, like how you would say to a pet going to the vet. There was a knock on the door “Ladies may I come in?” Aowyn’s calm but strong voice questioned from the door. Emma quickly opened the door and Awon rushed to Kaylin’s side. “Kaylin, are you ok? Are you nervous about the big day? Do you need anything, water, coffee, stress ball?”
Kaylin shook her head but it was obvious to Aowyn what she needed. He gave her a hug and whispered in her ear “I know you nervous about the death threat, just be calm I’ll be by your side the entire way. No harm will come to you without them coming through me first.” She smiled and gave him a small shy kiss on the cheek. She was ready to begin.

Aowyn walked her down the aisle she smiled At least one of my best friends is walking me down though. Aowyn wasn’t far behind with his thought I hope Kaylin is feeling better. If there was anything I could do I would. She gave him a shy smile showing her nervousness, he leaned in and whispered in her ear “You’ll be fine, the promise I made in the dressing room was true, they would go through me before you.” Kaylin gave a small but confident smile.

“Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband.” The pastor asked staring down at her.

“I do,” Kaylin exclaimed. She looked around and saw Emma next to her crying a little, she looked to Aowyn who was looking a little deadpan, she secretly wondered if he was worried or if it was something else.
“You may kiss the bride.” The pastor said smiling. He has been through it multiple but sadly this would have to be his last.

“Actually I have different plans,” Mark said, he pulled out a revolver out of his pocket and pointed it at Kaylin. With a little smile, he pulled the trigger BOOM!

Kaylin braced for the impact but it never came. She opened her eyes and saw it, Aowyn on the floor. She ran over to him “Aowyn.” She screamed crying. He gave her a small smile.

“I told you I’d protect you.” He whispered and held out his hand to comfort her putting it behind her head, like Peter he whispered to her barely audible “I love you, bye.” He said. She grabbed him pulling him into a hug.

It was said in the history of Auburn City it was the most deaths in one day. The only ones left were Emma and Kaylin. It was said her that the blood dint mess up her dress, it was also said that Mark was careful to make sure his victims never felt pain. Their deaths were all painless which gave Kaylin very little comfort. She knew that she should have listened. The history books will forever have a picture of the tiny notecard laid by her best friend saying You should have listened.

© 2018 Lilly Chapman


Author's Note

Lilly Chapman
Ignore Grammer please although id like feedback just rate the grammar. Also please rate storyline and get CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the only concern i have is "DONT MARY HIM" this should be "DONT MARRY HIM" mary is a name. marry is the act ;) this is a nice little story i enjoyed. nice work

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lilly Chapman

5 Years Ago

Thank you i'll remember that for next time :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on November 7, 2018
Last Updated on November 7, 2018
Tags: love, death, hope, moral, short story

Author

Lilly Chapman
Lilly Chapman

KS



About
I am a quirky girl who loves to write! more..

Writing