The mask of the shoes

The mask of the shoes

A Story by Lilly Chapman
"

My teacher made me write a story about prejudice against shoes so here you go.

"

“Love you to mom,” I screamed as I shut the door behind me making the entire house tremble. I was on my way to school, one of my least favorite places. The actual learning itself wasn’t so bad but my fellow peers were. The way I looked at it there were only a couple types of kids; the popular bullies, the inappropriate depressed kids, the sports people, and the outcasts. If you were lucky you’d find other outcasts kids to hang out with, if you weren’t then you’d be on your own, sadly I was the latter. When I get to school in the morning I do the same thing, go to my locker and put away my coat which of course was filled with holes, go to the library and check out a new book, and then go and read while eating my breakfast. It’s sad but it gives me something to do.

   “Hey Alex,” I heard Jess say from behind me, she was one of the good ones who said Hi to me every morning. She felt bad for me I’m sure but her little bit of kindness was usually the best part of my day.

   “Hey Jess,” I said making eye contact for only a second before looking back at my book, “you got anything exciting happening.” She smiled at that making me smile a bit too.

“Well yes, actually I was going to see if you wanted to go to the dance with me.” That made me do a double take and I actually set down my book for a second waiting for her to continue. “I’m going with a group of friends and I thought you might enjoy coming with us.” She smiled at me with her champion smile. I knew she probably didn't mean what I thought she did but a little hope was worth wild. Her friend quickly walked up to her and pulled on her to come over.

I realized she was still waiting for my response so I just blurted out “Ya sure I’ll come.” I said forcing the biggest smile on. Her smile was wider than mine by far and real her friend continued to pull so she smiled and told me she’d give me the information soon. When I got home I realized the mistake I made though.

“You said what now,” My mom said confused by my statement. She always tries her best but I know it is hard for her after my dad died.

“I told her I would go,” I said meekly to her she gave me a look like Jess but then looked down.

“Here come with me,” She motioned towards me to follow as we walked towards her room. She got out a small brown box that looked like it had to be older than me and pulled out an old suit and tie. “This was your fathers when he was around your age.” She handed it to me with a small smile and then picked up a small pair of brown shoes. “These were also your dads.” She


reminisced


handing me the shoes. They were shiny brown and had holes all over it they were cool looking and my mom seemed to love them the most.

I took the shoes and suit along with a small mask and put it on. As I looked in the mirror I could barely recognize myself, at school I am always known as the boy with old clothes and no friends but in this, I looked like a million bucks. My mom saw me and almost cried saying I looked like my dad. I was excited about the dance, all until people ruined it again.

“Can you believe Jess invited him to the dance,” One of my peers whom I believed was named Sasha said, “he probably will come in old pants his grandpa loaned him.” The guy with her laughed.

“I know what you mean, she is our friend I don’t see why she needs more especially him.” The boy said walking away from the table I sat at. It was like I wasn’t even there anymore, I quickly read my book and tried to escape the reality that is my life. All until she walked up again.

“Hey Alex are you excited for the dance,” I ignored her and she kept trying. “I was thinking you’d like hanging out at Mcdonalds with us my friend Sasha is so much fun. I winced at the name and she realized it. “Something wrong,” She questioned as her face fell. I could never deal with that face.

“No, nothing wrong. Ya, I’m excited about it.” I kept my sentenced short but she smiled again at my response. Her friends pulled her away again and she waved. She had left the information on the table and I took it in my pocket letting myself be taken again.

When I got home I skipped talking to my mom about it and ran and took the suit and tie and ran back out the door. I went to my work the laundry mat and handed it to Mr.Harvy the best washer in town. “Mr.Harvy is there any way you can make this look brand new,” I asked hopefully.

“Yes I can and for you Alex I’ll do it for free.” I blushed at his Italian tone knowing that he really meant it. I put on my uniform and got to work cleaning the shop, by the time I was off work the suit was complete. “I added a little detergent since it’s old but added a color enhancer to it to make it pop.” Sure enough, the suit popped in color and looked almost brand new, I thanked him and ran out of the shop even more excited than ever.

When I got home I went to work on the mask, washing it carefully and added a hint of glitter to it that would make it shine. I knew mom was getting worried and I stopped to help her with dinner before I could finish with the shoes.

It was then the day before the dance, I had been working on doing hairstyles and fixing up the shoes, Jess had come and talked to me about it and I was told not to meet them at Mcdonalds but at the dance. I knew it was Sasha’s idea but it still stung a little from her mouth. My mom made sure I had everything I needed for it, she hoped I’d have as amazing of a night as her and my father did, and I knew I would too.

The next day was Saturday and it was almost time for me to leave. I had put on the suit tie and mask, the shoes being the best part their brown shine made it harder not to notice me. The mask covered my eyes perfectly and my hair was styled to the side in a way I had never walked out the house like, I couldn’t recognize myself which was the part I loved even more than the shoes.

As I walked into the building to the dance I surely got peoples attention, there were whispers the good kind about who I was, the mysterious handsome guy walking into their gym. The first person to actually talk to me was Sasha herself “Hey stranger, save me dance all right.” I nodded but knew I wouldn’t. As I walked around I realized everyone had stopped staring but a few and the party went back up again, but I was anything but invisible. Girls left and right was asking me to dance or eat. Two girls even brought me to punch and then fought over who’s id drink. The one girl's attention I wanted I hadn’t found yet. I paraded the room looking for her even asking a few people. Sasha was disappointed when I asked her and pointed to a corner near the food where the happiest person in the universe sat sadly.

“Why so glum,” I said walking up to her trying to be as smooth as possible. She gave me a look of pure annoyance.

“I was waiting for someone but he never came.” My heart sank at through words, she was waiting for someone else she could care less if I was there or not.

“Well, I’m sure he will come,” I said with a smile, she looked more annoyed than ever at my attempts at her.

“Why do you even care,” She said harshly, “you could have any girl in this room so why me.” She buried her head in her dress hoping that I would take the hint and leave, I had never been good with social cues though.

“Well, I just wanted to.” I looked down at her, “sit with you.” I said. She didn't move so I assumed that meant I could. She looked over to me and I decided I should continue talking. “You see I feel the same, waiting for someone to notice me, waiting for anyone who will give me the time of day.” She was intrigued. “I sit alone allot to and there has always been one person who sat with me.” I lifted my mask and she gasped. “My one friend.”


© 2019 Lilly Chapman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on February 12, 2019
Tags: shoes

Author

Lilly Chapman
Lilly Chapman

KS



About
I am a quirky girl who loves to write! more..

Writing