Chapter 2: Blood of Nature

Chapter 2: Blood of Nature

A Chapter by Robert J Poe
"

Death's Plaground

"

 

He has taken away all of my family except for my mother, brother, and I. I have even lost my best friends by his hands, so it is only natural that I am next. I am, of course, terrified, just as every human would be if they knew their deaths. I could easily be a coward and hide behind some form of deadly steel, but I have grown to accept my fate. If I am to die, I will die. I will not go without a fight though. Humans only seem to get what they feel is the most out of life when they have realized or accepted that they have an expiration date; this is most likely why many people envy the ignorance of a child and their “pure” happiness. I too have grown envious of the small child's laugh, but I have also grown to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, because they will not last. I have learned to read the signs around me as to clues of what I should achieve today. Today, however, the world tells me it is my time.

As I step out of the safety of my house, nature gives its clear warning that death is in my midst. The unusually dark morning sends my senses into alert as I descend into the vulnerable scene. I am startled by even the sound of my footsteps. I pay excruciating attention to the details around me, and the scene only adds to my human-ish fear. The early fall is shown in the patterns of the trees around me as they dance mellow in the wind. The dead leaves below the trees scatter in waves and coat the land in a thin blanket of natural decay. This is his playground; he uses this dark realm to distract his victims with unrealistic fears, while the real one waits to strike. The foolish fears toy with my mind, but a part of me keeps reality in focus. I know what I should fear and what I should pay attention to. The senseless rustling of the trees or the eerie, orange glows of the street lights are immune to me. I feel a new sense of enlightenment and calm when I look past what is false. As I place myself in the most exposed location, wide area with no witnesses or protection, I am at my highest alert. A mighty burst of wind lashes through the land from behind me. My body feels as one with it, flowing with its exact rhythm. From this, my ears play as the scouter of the land of which the wind blows, and it picks up a slight off-placement from behind. My body obeys the wind, and I shift away from my spot, in rhythm to the wind, just as the tip of a cold, sharp blade slides across the surface of my left cheek. The same place most of my face was a moment ago.



© 2013 Robert J Poe


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cliffhanger, d****t!
I must go on!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

412 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2009
Last Updated on August 24, 2013