Chapter 3: The Face of Death

Chapter 3: The Face of Death

A Chapter by Robert J Poe
"

He who says who lives and dies

"

 

I gaze upon him for only a second, but a second is all that is needed. He wears a single black robe with a large hood. His body is covered by the cape-like qualities of the dark robe, but his face is exposed to the light in the gap of the hood. He truly has the face of death. His head is more or less like a skull than a face. His bald head bumps and ripples to the pattern of the head, his face is bleach white and has sunken cheeks. His lips are thin and dry, just as his nose is small and bubbly. Many would have found his nose cute if it was not attached to such a grotesque face. His eyes are dark and shallow with deep rings all around them. His eyes, however, are the most alive part of his face. The pupils are a strange shade of brown that actually looks red at first sight. They burn into my skull as the eyes of death. They are not evil eyes, but they tell the stories of every death they have witnessed. A mere mortal such as I could never understand the power behind these eyes, but I feel almost an honor to have seen them myself. One very odd thing that I could not help but notice as he was vanishing back into the night, he was smiling at me. It was not a sinister or psychotic smile, but a warm and happy smile, like one a father gives to his child. I could not believe that the person who had just tried to kill me, for reasons of unknown, and missed, was giving me a compassionate smile.



© 2013 Robert J Poe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

These chapters are kind of short.
But their good.
I just feel like something's missing.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3590 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2009
Last Updated on August 24, 2013