Plus Two

Plus Two

A Chapter by Pseudo
"

Eliza confronts the others about Erik's secret.

"
Sam stood behind his station, staring blankly into space. Mark was in a similar stance, although frowning, still annoyed by the events that had transpired the night before. The minutes passed with no customers entering, no people calling them, neither of them saying a word... the store had never been so peaceful.
Which made it all the more awkward when Eliza tried to sidle inside sneakily.
Sam turned and saw her slipping inside, being careful not to ring the bell as the door opened. "Hi, Eli-"
"SHH," she hissed, looking up in shock. "Is... is Erik here?"
"Yeah," Sam answered slowly, "he's in Rock, did you-"
"Then come out here," she said, grabbing him by the arm and dragging him toward the door. He stumbled but followed.
Mark looked on, still frowning. He'd been expecting something like this to happen.
"What happened to Sam?" Erik asked, arriving beside him.
"Possible kidnapping," Mark answered, watching the door. "Stand by for details."
Outside, Eliza pushed Sam against the wall of the store beside them.
"Okay," she said, forcefully. "I'm gonna talk and you're gonna answer, got it?"
"Y-yeah!" Sam said, worried.
"Angie told me everything last night."
"Yeah, we figured."
"Oh... okay...?"
Eliza wasn't under the impression they would cave so easily. She'd expected them to play dumb for at least a little while.
"But is it TRUE?" She asked, stepping backwards. "I mean, I knew Angie was a Witch, but I didn't know other stuff like that were real!"
"What other stuff?"
"You know! Magic, zombies, all the stuff in the movies that aren't SUPPOSED to be real!"
"Whoa," Sam said, lifting his hands, "calm down!"
"... so is it?"
Sam hesitated. "... Technically he's not a 'zombie', per s-"
"SO not the point, Sam!"
"Okay, sorry."
"Just answer me this," Eliza said, looking up with a fearful expression. "Is he dangerous?"
"Dangerous...?"
"Is he going to hurt her? Or ruin her life, or worse! Not just her, ANYONE, for that matter!"
Sam managed to stifle a laugh. Erik, dangerous? Please.
"Listen," he said, putting a hand on Eliza's shoulder. "He's really all talk. Honestly. He acts like he hates everyone, but the truth is he'd never actually harm anyone unless they deserved it."
"'Deserved it'?" Eliza stepped backwards, letting Sam's hand fall away. "So he HAS done something!?"
"Hey, if you're gonna nitpick, go ahead, but look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't use demon-powers on a******s who needed a good kick in the face."
Eliza thought for a moment. "So I just have to take your word for it?"
"I guess," Sam answered, frowning. "And Mark's. And Merideth's. And Angie's, now."
"Okay, I get it. I'll trust you guys."
"Cool."
"But just so we're clear," she said, leaning forward. "Angie and I are tight as hell, and we tell each other EVERYTHING. So if zombie-boy slips up, you can bet I'll find out, and I'll come back here and f**k your s**t UP."
"Just a question, do you REALLY think you'd be able to take on a demonic zombie in a-"
"Oh, not for him. For YOU guys. The ones who told me he was harmless."
"Oh, right," Sam said as Eliza opened the store door again. "Gotcha."
Eliza saw Erik sitting behind the counter beside Mark, typing something out on a laptop. She took a breath and walked up to him.
"Okay," she said, as Erik looked up. "I was a little scared before, but I'm cool, now."
"Good to know you can stand to be in the same room as me," Erik said blandly, looking back to the screen. Eliza shook it off.
"Don't be mad that Angie told me," she continued. "I mean, I-"
"It's okay. As Sam's probably told you, we assumed she would."
"And you're okay with that?"
"Not like it'd change anything."
Eliza stared. Erik was being completely calm about the whole situation. She thought he'd be at least a little more serious, maybe try to drive it into her how important it was not to tell anyone, that sort of thing.
She frowned. "Are you seri-"
"Expecting someone acting in a particular way because of their biology is racist."
"Wait, what?"
"RACIST," Erik repeated dramatically.
"He likes that joke a bit too much," Mark said, a smile playing about his previously stoic face.
"I like NOTHING."
"Aw, you don't mean that," Sam said, sliding up beside him.
"You're all exceptions," Erik said, hunching forward. "Feel special.
"And Angie?" Mark asked. Erik blinked, pausing his typing.
"... she's definitely an exception."
"So you do actually like her," Eliza said. "That's good to know."
"Trust me, if I didn't like her, you'd know."
"What, you would've KILLED HER?" Eliza asked, shocked.
"No!" Erik said, exasperated, turning to face them at last. "I would've SAID SO! My god, you people just assume I'm out to murder everything with a pulse, don't you!"
Eliza leant back, worried she'd offended him. Her fearful expression lingered until Mark and Sam started laughing, leading Erik to roll his eyes and smile, returning to the register.
"Racists, the lot of you."
Eliza frowned, wondering if anyone was ever serious around here.

---------------------

"I can manipulate people's memories," Erik continued, showing Eliza a small, black ball of fire in his palm, "which lead into forms of hypnosis and mind control, I can use Dark spiritual energy as both physical extensions and attacks, and I can use shadows to teleport."
Eliza looked at the ball, entranced. "That's incredible!"
"It's really not that big a deal after a while," Erik said, his fireball dissipating. "Even the shadow thing loses its edge after the tenth time you watch it."
On the other end of the counter, Sam had his arm propped up on the counter and was resting his head, staring blankly at the wall. Mark approached, his eyes trained on Eliza.
"She seems to be okay now," he said. Sam blinked and returned to reality. He turned to see Erik and Eliza, who was looking a lot less concerned and more interested in what Erik was saying.
"Now that she's calmed down," he answered. "She's pretty tough anyway, though."
"Yeah," Mark said, trailing off. He turned back to Sam and spoke a little softer. "Hey, how much do you think things are gonna change around here?"
"What?"
"I'm trying to move past the fact that there's another two people in on this thing, but the fact is that their being here means change, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing anymore!"
"I think it's just a thing," Sam said, raising his hand for Mark to calm down. "Mark, all that's happened is we've met two friendly, trustworthy people we can joke about Erik's condition with."
Mark smiled. "Heh, yeah. Sometimes I wonder why he hasn't killed US yet, the things we've said."
"If he did," Sam smiled as Merideth entered the building, "he'd be down two rent payers."
"Hey, boys and girl!" Merideth announced.
"I swear we've had more friends come in today than customers," Mark thought out loud.
"Is that a problem?"
"Hell, no. If anything, it's an excuse to party."
"Let's NOT give Dennis another reason to fire us," Sam piped up.
"Hey, Merry," Eliza said, turning away from Erik, also looking up. "How've you been?"
"Can't complain. I heard on the phone line you've been introduced to our circle's dreadful secret?"
"Uh, yeah?"
"Any thoughts?"
"... honestly, it kind of explains a lot. Like his sense of humour."
"In that it's black," Erik started, "or that it's DEAD, because one answer gets you bitten."
"He's not serious, is he?" Eliza asked the others, still not sure whether to take such things seriously.
Merideth shook her head. "Speaking of which," she said, reaching into her handbag. She pulled out a blood bag and tossed it towards Erik, who caught it 
"Thanks," Erik said.
He immediately tore into the bag, sucking up the liquid inside. While he was fixated on his lunch, the rest of the group were studying Eliza's face, which was contorted in a mix of shock and disgust.
Erik licked his lips and wiped them with his sleeve, throwing the empty bag into a bin near the counter. Eliza continued to stare.
"... uhm..."
"Initiation complete!" Merideth said, raising her arms. "Welcome to the club!"
"Wooh," Mark said, pumping his fist into the air and walking back behind the counter. Sam smiled and shook his head.
---------------------------
"You know what's weird?" Sam asked.
"What?" Mark answered.
"We've seen Erik conversing with a girl he's only just met more than the girl he's meant to be dating."
"What an interesting and relevant piece of information," Erik said, his arms folded. "It's not my fault she hasn't come in."
"Well, why not?" Mark asked, leaning towards him. "I'd like to meet this so-called GIRL we'll have to share you with."
"Ooh, I'll text her now," Eliza said, pulling her phone out of her pocket. "She should be done with work soon, so she won't be far off."
"Why do I have less control over my love life than you people?" Erik asked, leaning so far back in his chair that he was propping himself up with the back of his head.
"Because if you didn't," Merideth said, "NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN."
The dull screech of an electric guitar came from Eliza's phone. She reopened it and quickly scanned the message she had received.
"She'll be here in about half an hour."
"Ooh," Merideth giggled, "the tension builds. I can't wait to meet this mystery woman!"
"She's really not that mysterious," Erik said.
"Dude, she's a WITCH," Mark interjected pointedly. "You don't get much more mysterious than that!"
"I dunno," Sam said, resting his head on his arm, "she could come in wearing a trench coat."
Silence. Sam looked up and saw the whole group staring at him.
"Trench coats make everything more mysterious!"
Eliza and Merideth rolled their eyes at each other and stepped away from the conversation clearly headed for a ridiculous turn.
"Oh," Mark said excitedly, catching on. "How about a trench coat with a HOOD?"
"A BLACK hood!" Sam added, turning to face him. "And sunglasses!"
"And she could come at NIGHT!"
"During a THUNDERSTORM!"
"You're getting dangerously close to describing a paedophile," Eliza called from the other end of the counter.
"Nah," Erik said, pushing off from the wall and letting his arms land back on the counter, "they finished 'paedophile' back at 'trench coat'. Now we're in slasher villain territory."
Eliza turned back to Merideth, who resumed speaking.
"So why'd you decide to introduce your friend to Erik?"
"I don't really know," Eliza answered, thinking back. "He just seemed like the kind of guy she'd like. She's been proven to like guys with the whole 'dark and sarcastic' thing going."
"I don't mean to pry," Merideth continued cautiously, "but how many would that be?"
"Heh, not very many. She's shy, so when she develops a crush she never really does anything about it."
"I know the feeling," Merideth sighed, losing focus and staring into the distance, thinking
Eliza frowned. "What, knowing someone like that or BEING someone like that?"
"It's... complicated."
"Well you don't come off as shy, if that helps."
"It's not that, it's... well, it's sorta private."
"Aw, you can tell me," Eliza said, grinning. "It's been what, two days since we met? We're total biff-dogs now!"
"Oh my god," Merideth laughed. "That sentence alone just set back our friendship an entire week."
"You know I'm just joking! See? We're being ironic! We've got it all going on, now!"
Merideth leant on the counter to keep herself steady from laughing.
"Let's just say," She finally answered, "I rarely start liking people who could like me back."
"Oof," Eliza said, "been there. You have NO idea how hard it can be to find other gay girls around here. Outside of those bars, and they're too butch for my taste."
Merideth tried not to let her expression give her away.
On the other end of the counter, Mark was staring intently.
"Dude," Sam said, "you're being creepy."
"I don't care," Mark answered, not taking his eyes off the girls. "Merideth's talking to a lesbian and I'm pretty sure I heard the words "we've got it going on". I'm sticking this out."

---------------------------

Angie pushed open the door and stepped into the store. At the counter, Mark was sitting alone. He looked up when she entered, and his face lit up with excitement.
"Uh," she began, "is Er-"
"GUYS," Mark yelled. "SHE'S HERE!"
Angie backed away as Eliza, Sam and Merideth came barrelling around the corners of aisles and nearly slammed into the counter beside Mark. They all stood together, grinning at her. Angie stared, unable to break the terribly awkward silence.
"Over here," she heard. She turned and saw Erik waving from an aisle. With one last look at the peanut gallery keeping its eyes on her, she hurriedly walked over to him.
"Should we at least PRETEND to look busy?" Sam asked.
"F**k that," Mark answered. "They know the score." 
Angie reached Erik, who was putting one last DVD into a stand.
"Hi," she said, smiling.
"Hi," Erik replied.
Neither said anything. The tension was thick and the awkwardness was plentiful.
"Uh," Angie began, breaking the silence. "Eliza and your friends are pretty excited about... uh, something."
"That'll be you," Erik answered. "They seem to think anyone I'm interested in must be interesting to them."
"Yeah..."
"Last night," Erik continued, "... last night was... fun?"
"Yeah, I had... 'Fun', too."
The silence made a grand return to the stage of their conversation.
"If something doesn't happen in the next ten seconds," Mark began.
"Then I'll throw a shoe or something," Merideth interrupted. "Now shush!"
Angie steeled herself and started again.
"Listen, I'm not sure where we stand. You said you had a good time, and I believe you, but... it's..."
"It's dangerous," Erik finished.
"... yeah. Don't get me wrong, it's good to know what we're getting into... But I don't mean I have a problem with it! I really don't! I mean, I was more scared of what YOU'D think of ME, and then when you told me what YOU are and I told you what I am, and you STILL didn't run off I was so... I don't know.
"What I think I mean is... I don't know if being with me is worth it, for you."
"I know what you mean," Erik said.
"You do?"
Erik looked into her eyes.
"I'm glad I met you, Angie. I don't act it, but I am. And I want to keep this going, regardless of what might happen. Until something does, we'll do what we want. If you want to."
Angie smiled. "... okay."
"... Cool."
Erik took her hand and led her towards the counter. "Now come meet my fucked up friends."
"My god," Angie said. "Have they been watching us the whole time?"
"S**t guys, be cool," she heard Mark sputter to the others.
When they reached the counter, the four people had lined up beside each other, Eliza on the nearest end, smiling.
"Okay," Erik said, raising his hand to gesture to each member of the line. "This is Mark, Sam, Merideth and Eliza, who I'm fairly certain you know.
"Merideth gets me my blood from her job at the blood bank downtown," he said, lowering his arm.
"Oh," Angie exclaimed. "I thought you looked familiar! You were working the last time I donated!"
Merideth frowned for a moment, trying to remember.
"Oh yeah," she finally said. "I think I remember y-"
Suddenly, Merideth's eyes widened and her expression was replaced with utter shock.
"Merideth?" Mark asked, poking her shoulder. "You okay?"
"I, uh... remember her," she explained. "She was the only one in that day, so, uh... hers was the only one I could get for..."
The room fell silent. Merideth didn't even need to finish her sentence for the situation to become apparent. Erik suddenly felt uneasy, with the other three sharing Merideth's shocked expression.
Moments passed with nobody saying a word. It was Mark who finally spoke.
"Well THAT'S awkward."
"Well, um," Angie began, trying to lighten up the mood. "If we were a Goth couple, I'm sure this would be the pinnacle of romance."
"Too bad you're NOT," Eliza answered, struggling with remaining composed, "so it's just F*****G WEIRD."
"Are you okay?" Angie asked Erik, who hadn't said a word.
"What? Uh... if you are, I guess..."
"It's... shocking, I guess, but... you know, it's just at thing, it’s fine."
"Yup. Just a thing."
The conversation dried up once again.
The door opened and a customer stepped inside, looking bored.
"Hey," he said, looking at Mark at the counter. "Uh, where'd you put Rock?"
Chaos ensued. Mark, Sam, Merideth and Eliza all tried to run out from behind the counter at once in attempts to escape the situation.
"I'll show you!"
"No, I'LL do it!"
"It's over here, by that stand over there!"
"Take my hand! We'll go together!"
The group finally dislodged themselves and all but forced the shocked customer from his position by the door deeper into the store. Angie and Erik looked on with confusion and curiosity.
"Is this my life now?" Angie asked.
"Do me a favour," Erik said. "Don't question whether it's worth it yet."


© 2012 Pseudo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on December 23, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012
Tags: supernatural, demon, slice of life, everyday


Author

Pseudo
Pseudo

Australia



About
Doing Games Design at university. Fan of Doctor Who, Homestuck, Avatar (both series) and other things. Wishes he could draw but accidentally summons Satan whenever he tries. Likes writing but isn't al.. more..

Writing
Day 1 Day 1

A Chapter by Pseudo


What I Am What I Am

A Chapter by Pseudo


Day in the Life Day in the Life

A Chapter by Pseudo