The Cat

The Cat

A Story by Purple_Roses43
"

A very short story! Might be extended in the future!

"

The cat jumped from his spot on the settee, he landed on the floor with more poise than grace and stretched each limb languidly in turn. He dismissed the clatter of the milk tray being placed on the tile floor in the next room and leapt up to the window sill, much preferring to sit a while than to eat his breakfast. What a busy existence he thought, as he lazily watched from his perch. 


The mothers too frantic, with cooking and cleaning and untamed children, to even sit down. The husbands hard at work, don’t even have time to drink some tea. The feline turned his attention to the butchers shop across the road, it was just opening up; the smell of many fine meats met his nose in the air. His heaven was invaded by another scent, the sickly odor of sugar, of apples and pastry and cream all in one, an apple pie delivered to his owner from the lady next door once more this week.  She obviously likes his human companion, why couldn't he see? That the woman was sweet on him? It puzzled the cat something bitter, but he was not one to dwell on the problems of others so selflessly. So he let the issue pass free. He laid down on the wooden ledge and continued to gaze at the bustling town. 


He yawned widely, most comfortably, maybe he should have a nap, for an hour; maybe three.

© 2011 Purple_Roses43


Author's Note

Purple_Roses43
This was an idea I had one night! Please give me any pointers to improve it, I know it can be improved so don't hold back!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A clever little piece, Elena! There is one line I don't get, but maybe it makes perfect sense in the UK..."I puzzled the cat something bitter." I don't know what that means. No comma is needed between sickly and odor as sickly is the adjective describing the noun odor. You also need to use apostrophes where appropriate in a few places. This was fun...well done! I always enjoy reading you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Interesting little story! It's a cool perspective, I think, and it seems like the start of a novel. I agree with Jim though - what is that part about "It puzzled the cat something bitter"?

Posted 13 Years Ago


Loved the creativity. Very nicly put in another animals perspective. I love cats, and you seemed to have got a cats personality down pat. Very sweet.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i love kittes :) and its so true: this is the day in the life of a cat. they love eating and sleeping and thats about it. i know my cat runs around like a madman then gets sleepy and naps for the rest of the day; he's always out and about in the middle of the night though, causing problems and breaking things.

maybe the cat can make a connection with one of the humans he lives with? cozy up to the woman or rest his head on the man's lap while he's working? i like to think cats like their owners as much as the owner's like their cats. mine always meets me at the door and rubs up against my leg haha

Posted 13 Years Ago


A clever little piece, Elena! There is one line I don't get, but maybe it makes perfect sense in the UK..."I puzzled the cat something bitter." I don't know what that means. No comma is needed between sickly and odor as sickly is the adjective describing the noun odor. You also need to use apostrophes where appropriate in a few places. This was fun...well done! I always enjoy reading you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a good short story! I love the description and seeing the world from another perspective.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011
Tags: Cat

Author

Purple_Roses43
Purple_Roses43

United Kingdom



About
I am 15 years old, and I feel absolute passion for writing. I unfortunately have never been able to finish one of my stories, but I hope to correct that, by getting some advice from fellow writers on .. more..

Writing