Hi, my name is Sin, this is my friend Death.

Hi, my name is Sin, this is my friend Death.

A Chapter by Pwest

                                                              Hi, my name is, Sin this is my friend Death.

 

 

Sin. What comes to mind when you hear the word? Do you think of using drugs? Getting drunk on a daily basis? Sleeping with multiple women? Perhaps stealing. Maybe cursing. Or looking at another’s wife or husband out of desire. What is Sin? Why do we sin? Is there way to avoid sin? Can we not sin? In the following pages, we will explore what Sin is, how it happens, and why GOD must punish Sin and what that punishment entails.

 

In the center of garden GOD had placed a tree, what was very beautiful to the eye.  He spoke to Adam   giving him one commandment. (Just one.) In summary GOD had forbidden them to eat from the tree of knowledge also known as the tree of good and evil. The result of disobedience was to be death. Not just a physical death, but death on numerous levels, spiritual, emotional, in essence a death of separation from GOD as we will see.  (Genesis 1: 15-17). Now, this is not to say that GOD did not want man to have knowledge or wisdom, in fact it was quite the opposite. GOD wanted man to indeed have full knowledge and wisdom, but knowledge and wisdom tied in a joyful relationship with him.

 

Among the animals was the serpent. Early scripture clearly states that the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field that GOD had created. Even today we can see this in serpents around the world. They are very tricky, patient and silent hunters, often striking and taking their prey without warning.  Satan (which can mean adversity or opponent) is represented by the serpent in scripture. Satan is the exact polar opposite of GOD in way.  Later on, we will take a closer and more in debt look at Satan but now let us continue with the entrance of sin and death into perfection. The cunning serpent speaks to Eve saying, “Has GOD indeed said, “You shall not eat of every tree of the garden?” If we take a moment to ponder the meaning behind this question, we will discover that this is the first introduction of doubt and uncertainty. Not only had the serpent planted a seed of doubt in Eve’s mind he had influenced her to second guess the creators commandments. Take a moment and notice that the serpent had first spoken to Eve and not Adam. Why is this? Why did the serpent first not approach Adam? If we revert to Genesis 1:15-17 we see that GOD had addressed Adam first and not Eve. Eve had not been created at that point in time. GOD had given Adam the commandment to pass to Eve. As GOD’s first creation in his own image perhaps Satan did not want a confrontation with Adam. We can only speculate that if the serpent had approached Adam he might have been fooled as well.  However, Adam clearly was neglecting his role as the head of the relationship. This was a pivotal moment in creation which Adam needed to take charge. Instead, we can see that Eve was doing much if not all of the interaction with the serpent. Both being innocent and at this time knew no wrong.  Both Adam and Eve were naive so to speak. The serpent was using their naïve and innocence to influence doubt and uncertainty, since neither had knowledge of good and evil. We can see this even today. We make choices in our lives, but those choices come from influencing factors though, the ultimate choice is what we choose.  How dose Eve respond to the serpent? Adam on the sidelines is silent. Eve repeats the commandment of GOD, forbidding them to eat of the tree. The serpent replies, “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God knowing good and evil.” Take a moment to ponder the implication of this statement. The serpent is essentially telling Eve that the tree will make them like GOD. For your eyes will be opened and you will be like God. The tree would give them knowledge of what was good and what was evil. In todays world do we see a lot of this. Do we see a continuing of human behavior of total control in our lives and the lives of others. Chart our own destiny, take control of own lives powered by our self-will, determination, and fortitude.  Our will vs GOD’s will in summary.  This is a question that can be answered on an individual basis; however, I encourage you to look at society today and ponder where we are versus where we should be. As a believe I think we are off the mark, especially when the bullseye is of perfection (This is GOD’s standard), but as believers we know this and there is a reason why this is so. (Genesis 3: 4-5) is the first time in scripture that witness’s a lie. Satan was denying the word and truth of GOD. First, he had setup Eve with doubt and uncertainty then dropped the bomb with a full out lie. He had effectively filled Eve that GOD had another motive for keeping them from eating from the tree of good and evil. How unfair this must have sounded. So, Eve under the serpent’s influence made the overall choice seeing the tree was pleasant to the eye took the fruit and bit into it. Notice a key word here, choice.

 

What is a choice?

A choice is a decision or a course of action. And every decision or course of action there are consequences. Most people associate consequences with a negative result which is the end result of Adam and Eve eating the fruit. But what if they had denied the serpent’s suggestion? Would there have been consequences? A consequence of staying in GOD’s innocence and perfection. A consequence of continuing to be in the personal presence of the creator. A consequence of the fall having never taken place. Paradise never lost. Those consequences sound much more pleasing.

 

What is consequence?

 The result of an action or choice. Weather positive or negative though much association is accredited to the negative side of the spectrum.  But every choice by one way or another is influenced by an outside factor, with the fundamental choices we make coming out of our hearts which we will explore later.

 

Continuing, Eve eats of the tree of knowledge good and evil, then she gave to Adam (who had been silent the whole time), and he ate. And their eyes were opened. (Genesis 3: 6-7).  With those two bites Adam and Eve had effectively placed their own will, (desire) above the will of GOD the father.  It was the first act of disobedience. Even today we are all tempted and drawn away by our own desires and enticement, (James 1: 14), placing self-interests above GOD’s interests. This is the first introduction and example of SIN.

What is Sin? Sin is anything (thought, action, desire, purpose, choice.) outside the will of GOD. This is the core essence and outline for sin. This makes sense since GOD is a GOD of perfection, holiness, and righteousness. In a nutshell this is SIN, and at its core are many different ways for sin to be executed in our lives, but the meat and potato’s of it is anything outside the will of GOD the father.

Sin/Death/Disobedience had effectively entered the world and our spirits. We had broken faith and trust with GOD under the influence of the serpent and our own conscience choice. You might ask why should I be punished for something they did? I wasn’t around. I didn’t ask to be created. Maybe, I had no influence during that time, why should I be held accountable? Personally, I have pondered many questions similar to these. The only answer that I can offer is a two part answer. One being who are we to question our maker. Dose the clay ask the sculpture, why did you make me? Why was I formed? Surely not. A clearer definition that can be offered is  Sin nature (a nature outside the will of GOD), entered. A nature of self-interest, self-will, self-desire that would be instilled into all mankind entered into existence. Notice, the key word SELF. From a scripture standpoint we might term it as a wicked and cruel generation, that would progressively become worse and worse as time progressed.

 

 



© 2020 Pwest


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on February 1, 2020
Last Updated on February 1, 2020


Author

Pwest
Pwest

louisville, KY



Writing
The Garden of Eden. The Garden of Eden.

A Chapter by Pwest


The Garden The Garden

A Book by Pwest