Death by Sleep: Preface

Death by Sleep: Preface

A Chapter by .quan.011.
"

A man walks out of the cold looking for the only person who can help him in his hour of need.

"

Preface

 

            The moon was hidden under large clouds as I walked down the dark streets of New York City. The cold night air brushed across my face as I walked past two lovely looking women. I hid my face hoping they didn’t recognize me and yet part of me didn’t care. My whole body felt numb after learning everything. The revelation of it all stunned me. Everything I have been fighting for all for the past two weeks led me down this path. I couldn’t stopped people have to know the true. I felt nothing as continue walking, not fear, not anger, not even sadness. This was too important and that why I needed to see an old friend of mine. I haven’t really talk to her in years, but I still need her help. She was my last hope.

            I knew she would be at home after all it was the holidays where else would she be at. She lived in the upper part of New York City in an apartment building not far for Empire State building. She is an investigator journalist for New York Times. I arrived at the building, it was four stories, and had some Christmas lights hanging from the banisters. I walked up to the entrance way. The door was locked probably to keep out the homeless who would be looking for a warm place to sleep. I realized that I should consider myself homeless. My home, my dreams, and even the people I loved were taking away from me. I could never have them back, but I could make sure those who did this pay.

            I pulled out a lock pick and inserted the two picks into the key slot. I was picking the lock trying to get the door to unlock. I was almost there when I suddenly felt some hard a cold being press onto my back. I hope it was a gun.

            “Give me your money, man.” I heard the man mumbled behind me. I took a deep breath calming myself down. There was no need to kill the man.

            I said “I don’t have any money so just go away.”

            “Don’t give me that!” He pressed the gun even harder on my back. I quickly turned around so fast he didn’t have time pull the trigger. I grabbed his arm that held the gun, punched him in the face, and the grabbed the back of his head slamming it into the brick wall. Blood gusted out of the man’s nose. I looked down at and quickly realized that he wasn’t a man, but a boy.

            He looked like her was still in his middle teens. He was tall Latino boy with short black hair and brown eyes. If I knew he was a kid I would have gone easier on him. I returned to picking the lock. Once I got it opened I dragged the boy out of the cold night into the warm lobby. I took his gun. It was a 9mm semiautomatic pistol. I headed toward the elevator on the other side of lobby. I pushed the up button. I put the pistol in my jacket as the elevator door opened. It was empty as I entered it. I pressed the third floor button where she lived. I watched the door closed in front of me. As I waited for the elevator to stop, I wondered if I was doing the right getting her involved. I didn’t have a choice.

            Once the elevator stopped, I exited it and walked into the short hallway. There were four doors labeled; 3A, 3B, 3C, and 3D. I knew her address by heart thanks to the yellow pages. I walked toward door 3C. I could hear Christmas music coming from the other side of the door. I knocked on the door three times.

            “Are you expected anyone?” The door opened up and a blonde girl appeared on the other side of the door. Her grey eyes got big when they saw my face showing both fear and surprise. She quickly tried to close the door, but I was too fast. I shoved my foot between door and wall. She tried to push it closed, but I was pushed hard.  In the struggle, I won pushing the door opened. I heard a loud bang and rushed into the apartment closing the door behind. I found the girl on the floor squishing her eyes in pain. I leaned down and grabbed her arm. I pulled her up.

            I said “You’re going to be okay. You just hurt your head, sorry about that.” A guy appeared on the other side of short hallway. I whipped out my pistol and pointed at him. “Get back into the room.” He nodded his head and backed up as I moved forward with the girl.  Once we got into the living room, I passed him the girl. He took her to a seat and they sat together.

            Everyone in this small room looked at me. They were about 20 people including men, woman, children, and elderly. I was more surprised that they were able to fit all these people in this small apartment. I pointed my gum at them.

            “Please remain calm and sit the f**k down.” I said looking at people. They did all sit down on something. Some on the couch, some on chairs, and other on the very ground they were standing on. “Good now where’s Amanda?”

            “She is right here.” One of men shot up and tried to punch me. I moved slightly away allowing his fist to go past me before I knee him in the stomach. Everyone grasped as they watched me the man hit the ground.

            “Now let’s try this again. Where’s Amanda?”

            “What do you want?” I noticed Amanda walking out of kitchen with a couple of kids at her hips. “You do think you doing here.”

            I said “Where is your recorder?”

            Amanda released the children who ran to their parents. She walked toward her desk, opened one of her cabinet, and pulled out her small recorder. “What you want an interview?”

            “You’re a journalist after all?”

            Amanda said “I’m only an intern.” I could see the confusion in her face. She was wondering why I would pick her of all people to do a story with. I knew her back when we were in middle school, but that was a long time ago. Even thought we both go to the same university we never took time to reconnect.

            “I’m here to give you the story that will skyrocket your career.” I pulled up a brown wooden chair and leaned back as she turned on her recorder. “This story about the man the world thinks killed the president of United States.



© 2010 .quan.011.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I ran the story thru an editor in english and it is quite good...try using one before posting in which ever language you prefer?...the gramatical errors in tense and adverbs really makes the stories hard to follow.. Sir. actually your ideas make for great reading...ty

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i agree with peanutbutter love i am also hooled

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow great start a few promblems,but I think a quick read thru you find them easy if tell me and I will point them out. Again nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ooh, good prologue. I'm thinking that the narrator is the college student in question? Good, factual, realistic. Though what would a boy on the streets be doing with a gun? Just a thought. "He looked like her" should be "He looked like he". Not a transgender, is he? Haha. So far, well done preface. Interested to read the rest of the book so far.

.display. .olivia.014.
.memberID. 014
.division. II
.division.leader. Shane
.name. Olivia
.username. allonsy-doctor
.novels. Required, Walker
.status. Novelist
.join date. 04-02-2011

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I ran the story thru an editor in english and it is quite good...try using one before posting in which ever language you prefer?...the gramatical errors in tense and adverbs really makes the stories hard to follow.. Sir. actually your ideas make for great reading...ty

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Woooowwwwww!!!! I'm hooked!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, this is amazing. Very well written. I'm completely into your story, I was on the edge of my seat reading this from my new laptop. I love how you ended this chapter with Tom seating in the wooden chair and his last word in the chapter "This story about the man the world thinks killed the president of the United States" after that I was hooked.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is brilliant, mortal, I simply love it! Really well written and very interesting indeed, I love it. I honestly can't wait to read more, great job, keep it up!~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 22, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010
Tags: Agents, government, fighting, killing, romance, action, spy-thiller


Author

.quan.011.
.quan.011.

Newark, DE



About
Hello my name is Quan and I'm new here. I write a complete of stories that I will update. I don't do any peoms, because I'm not good at them. Thanks for reading and review my work. My Novel .. more..

Writing