MRS POTIPHAR'S LOVER

MRS POTIPHAR'S LOVER

A Story by ROBERT DAVIDSON

 

MRS  POTIPHAR’S  LOVER

 

By  Robert  Davidson

 

Netta  Thorbold  made  her  way  up  the  stairs  to  the  studio. She  had  agreed  to  sit  for  a  young  artist.

 

‘Sorry,  I’m  a  bit  late,’  she  said  as  she  came  in  the  door,  ‘but  we’ve  been  busy  at  the  shop.’

 

The  studio,  or  rather  Felix  Appleby’s  bedsitter,  was  large  and  bare,  with  grey  walls,  on  which  were  pinned  the  studies  he  had  done.  It  was  a  pleasant  room  with  two  windows  that  reached  to  the  floor.

 

‘So  you  got  here  all  right,  Mrs  Thorbold?’  Felix  was  already  at  his  easel  working  on  a  sketch  of  the  beach  and  pier.  ‘Had  no  difficulty  finding  the  place?’

 

Their  conversation  was  stilted.  Felix  seemed  a  little  shy,  Netta  thought  and  she  could  find  nothing  but  commonplace  things  to  say  to  him.

 

‘If  you’ll  stand  squarely  on  the  platform  in  front  of  the  window,’  he  was  saying,  ‘with  your  hands  clasped  behind  your  head,  you’ll  find  that  the  easiest  pose.’  It  will  also  give  him  the  best  view  of  my  breasts,  she  thought.  ‘That’s  right,’  he  said.  She  gave  him  an  indifferent  glance.

 

She  looked  at  the  youth  preparing  his  charcoal  and  a  new  sheet  of  paper.  He’s  far  too  quiet,  reserved,  she  thought.  Well,  I  suppose  he  has  to  concentrate.  She  let  her  mind  wander  vaguely  while  he  stood  outlining  her  figure.  She  wondered  if  he  would    well,  he  ‘shows  promise’,  she  thought.  A  solid-looking  athletic  body,  supple  and  muscular.  And  that  boyish  face!

 

And  then  he  was  asking  her  to  sit  on  a  chair  he  had  placed  under  the  window.  He  was  wanting  to  measure  her  head  and  torso.  Her  blue  eyes  held  his  as  he  came  near,  offered  a  challenge.  The  slightest  curve  of  a  set  smile  was  on  her  lips.  Her  throat  was  white  in  the  shadow.  She  crossed  her  legs,  tugged  down  her  skirt.

 

She  was  a  woman  of  forty,  with  a  great  deal  of  glossy  dark  red  hair;  it  was  handsome  hair,  he  thought  as  he  saw  her  close  to.  The  wide  white  rise  of  her  breasts  beneath  the  raw-silk  blouse.  A  proper  Juno.  Her  eyes  both  met  and  avoided  his.  He  was  aware  of  a  quickening  of  his  heart.  He  was  serious  and  silent  working  on  his  sketch.

 

I  must  be  double  his  age,  she  told  herself.  But  I  will  manage  him  all  the  better  for  it.  Life  can’t  be  wasted  in  the  waiting.  Her  smile  was  full  of  the  old  wisdom  of  woman.

 

She  could  feel  his  eyes  on  her.  Was  he  enjoying  the  feast  of  her  body,  or  did  he  think  she  was  far  too  old?  Felix  was  trying  to  look  at  her  impersonally,  as  an  artist,  concentrating  on  flesh  tones,  colour  values,  getting  the  perspectives.  But  the  maturity  of  her  figure.  And  that  enormous  bosom!

 

He  studied  her  like  a  physician,  but  he  was  teetering  on  a  highwire  without  a  net,  he  thought.

 

When  it  was  the  rest  period,  Netta  came  to  see  what  he  had  done.  She  turned  to  him,  ‘How  are  you  getting  on,  Felix?’

 

‘I  don’t  know  why  I’m  having  so  much  trouble,’  he  said.  ‘But  I  mean  to  get  it  right.  I  must  take  the  measurements  again.  And  square  out  my  paper  differently.’  He  set  to  work  once  more.

 

In  spite  of  himself  she  stirred  him.  The  disturbing  nearness  of  her  body.  At  the  beginning,  an  older  woman  is  always  best,  he’d  read  somewhere.  The  boy  is  better  for  it.  But  I’d  shrivel  up  like  a  winter  apple,  I  suppose.  She  might  be  the  key  to  the  mysteries,  he  thought.  But  she’d  devour  me  if  I’d  let  her.

 

He  recalled  how  he  had  been  selecting  material  in  Humphrey’s  Art  Shoppe  the  previous  Thursday  afternoon  when  he  saw  the  new  shop-assistant  behind  the  counter  serving  a  customer.  A  full-blown  woman  absolutely  beautiful.  Red  hair,  white  skin  with  an  air  of  obvious  sensuality. 

 

Felix  had  stood  mesmerized  still  holding  the  paint  brushes  that  he  had  been  selecting.  He groaned  almost  out  aloud.  God,  what  would  it  be  like  to  paint  that  figure!  She  would  be  superb  as  the  model  for  his  painting  he  was  working  on.  She  appeared  to  be  in  her  early  forties.

 

A  fine  web  of  lines  under  the  eyes,  some  powder  caking  about  her  face.  Her  smiling  lips  with  a  lipstick  that  was  too  scarlet  but  on  her  was  somehow  permissible.  A  fading  prettiness?  Perhaps.  But  her  breasts  were  deep  and  full  with  a  large  amount  of  cleavage.  Her  dress  fit  her  form  perfectly,  tight  but  not  too  tight.  He  was  finding  her  quite  a  turn-on  despite  that  fact  that  she  was  probably  twenty  years  older  than  himself.

 

He  kept  on  watching  her.  He  could  stand  discreetly  behind  the  acrylic  display  pretending  to  examine  it.  When  she  reached  up  for  some  wrapping=paper  on  a  top  shelf  he  could  see  how  large  and  heavy  her  breast  was,  and  he  almost  gasped  aloud.  He  just  stood  there  holding  those  brushes  gazing  at  the  most  striking  woman  he  had  ever  seen.  She  resembles  a  Jean  Racine  heroine,  he  thought  -Phaedre  perhaps,  with  that  classic  profile. 

 

As  Felix  pretended  to  choose  another  paint  brush,  he  realised  with  a  start  that  there  was  someone  standing  behind  him.

 

‘She’s  beautiful,  isn’t  she?  Humphrey  French,  the  shopkeeper  was  saying.  He  was  a  pleasant  little  man  with  a  black  beard.

 

Felix  was  so  surprised  that  he  dropped  a  brush  and  it  rolled  under  the  stand.  He  looked  at  the  shopkeeper  in  front  of  him.  Felix  had  spoken  to  Humphrey  many  times  when  he  was  ordering  materials  and  Humphrey  knew  that  Felix  was  an  art  student  at  the  College  of  Arts.  ‘Um,  w w-what  do  you  mean?’  Felix  stammered.

 

‘I  saw  you  watching  her.  It’s  okay  -  I  sometimes  catch  myself  just  looking  at  her.  She  is  beautiful.’

 

‘Um,  yeah,  uh,  she  is  nice  looking,’  Felix  managed  to  say.  He  felt  himself  blushing,  he  was  embarrassed.  He  didn’t  know  why  he  found  the  older  woman  so  alluring,  he  just  did.

 

By  now  the  red-haired  lady  was  bringing  some  boxes  over  towards  the  two  men.  She  asked,  ‘Who  is  your  friend,  Humphrey?’  and  smiled.

 

‘Felix,  meet  Netta  Thorbold.  Netta,  this  is  Felix  Appleby  and  he’s  an  artist,’  said  Humphrey.

 

‘Art  student,’  Felix  corrected.

 

‘Yes,’  said  Humphrey,  ‘but  he  exhibits  and  has  sold  at  the  Esplanade  railings  on  Sundays.’

 

He  shook  Netta’s  hand  and  it  felt  warm  and  smooth.  ‘Oh,  how  delightful,’  she  said.  ‘Do  you  do  figure  studies?  I  was  a  model  once.’

 

Netta  Thorbold  spoke  with  a  slight  accent.  He  could  smell  her  perfume  now  that  she  was  closer.  She  smelled  wonderful.  That  scent  mounting  up.

 

For  a  moment  they  were  caught  in  a  net  of  small  talk  and  Humphrey  French  was  asking  what  Felix  was  working  on.  He  said  he was  planning  a  study  of  Potiphar’s  Wife.

 

‘And  who  is  she?’  asked  Netta.  Her  eyes  were  bright  with  curiosity.

 

‘The  wife  of  an  Egyptian  lord  who  Joseph  was  taken  to  when  he  was  sold  into  slavery  by  his  brothers,’  explained  Felix.  ‘It’s  a  story  in  the  Bible.’

 

‘Mrs  Potiphar  tried  to  seduce  young  Joseph,’  smiled  Humphrey.  ‘She  was  very  disappointed  and  angry  when  Joseph  rejected  her  advances.

‘Sounds  fascinating,’  said  Netta  with  a  laugh.

 

‘Do  you  still  do  some  modelling?  Felix  asked  nervously.

 

She  considered  Felix  for  a  moment,  studying  his  face.  He’s  very  appealing,  she  thought,  but  far  too  young,  with  his  hair  all  rumpled  and  his  shirt  open  revealing  that  muscular  throat.

 

‘Not  for  a  long  time,’  she  replied.  Under  her  blue  eyes  there  were  violet  shadows.  ‘I’m  getting  a  bit  past  it.’

 

‘Nonsense.’  Humphrey  French  turned  to  his  assistant  and  said,  ‘You  could  sit  for  Felix  when  you  finish  work  at  5.30.  There’s  still  plenty  of  light  at  this  time  of  the  year.  His  studio  is  just  down  the  street.’

 

‘Acland  Street,’  Felix  said  quickly.  ‘My  room’s  above  a  delicatessen.’’

 

‘How  could  I  resist?   I’ve  done  a  bit  of  theatre  in  my  time.  I  always  had  a  secret  ambition  to  play  an  abandoned  hussy,’  Netta  said  amused.  Humphrey  wrote  Felix’s  address  on  a  piece  of  paper  and  gave  it  to  her.

 

Felix  asked  if  the  following  afternoon  would  be  okay.  Netta  said  fine  and  told  him  she  would  call  on  him  then.

 

Netta  was  late  again  for  the  sitting  the  following  Monday  afternoon.  Felix  was  worried  about  the  light  and  was  anxious  to  begin.  But  it  had  been  stiflingly  hot  day,  ‘Sorry,’  she  said  as  she  mounted  the  platform  to  take  up  her  position,  ‘but  I  had  to  go  home  and  change.’  She  was  wearing  an  open-necked  jonquil  silk  blouse  and  yellow  shantung  skirt.

 

A  nicely  exposed  cleft,  thought  Felix  but  as  usual  the  make-up  and  the  lips  were  overdone.  Not  my  type  at  all,  he  told  himself  as  he  took  up  his  charcoal  and  began  slashing  shapes  onto  paper.  Sure  enough,  he  wanted  her  fabulous  body,  but  not  quite  in  the  way  she  wanted  his.  He  wanted  her  to  pose,  draped  diaphanous  for  his  painting.  But  she’s  far  too  old,  he  thought.  Such  a  full-bodied  womanly  woman.  Enough  to  rob  me  of  my  male  power!

 

But  the  more  Felix  resolutely tried  to  ignore  her  overblown  female  charms,  the  more  he  found  himself  thinking  about  her  -  as  a  woman!  The  way  that  red  mouth  smouldered,  parted.  He  then  pictured  her  as  dominant.  Bestriding  him!

 

Her  perfume  and  the  posture  of  her  body  filled  him  with  sudden  lust.  She  shifted  uneasily  on  the  platform.  He  found  himself  staring  at  the  swelling  of  her  breasts.  He  imagined  running  his  hand  down  the  arch  of  her  back  and  across  the  curve  of  her  buttock.  But  would  she  spring  at  his  throat  if  he  touched  her?  he  wondered.  No  doubt  there  was  a  tiger  latent  in  every  lady.  Or  would  she  give  way  utterly?

 

He  glanced  along  the  line  of  her  shoulder.  Artists  -weren’t  they  supposed  to  look  at  a  woman’s  body  in  a  different  way?  But  he  wanted  her  so  badly  it  disturbed  his  work.  He  saw  himself  as  a  man  on  a  tightrope  without  a  safety  net.

 

I  owe  it  to  myself  to  seduce  her,  he  thought.  Perhaps  I  should  seize  her  by  the  hips,  throw  her  down  on  the  floor  and  take  her,  there  and  then.  I  could  do  what  I  want  with  her.  Instead  he  found  himself  inviting  her  to  have  coffee  with  her  at  the  café  across  the  road.

 

‘I’ve  got  a  better  idea,’  Netta  said,  stepping  down  from  the  platform  and  gathering  up  her  things.  ‘How  about  the  pub  on  the  corner?  It’s  such  a  hot  night.  I  could  do  with  a  drink.’

 

As  they  made  their  way  downstairs  to  the  street,  Netta thought.  I’m  passionate  by  nature.  I  have  a  great  need  of  a  man.  To  drink  at  that  fountain  of  youth.  The  soft,  moist  contact  of  a  young  man’s  mouth.  Perhaps  he  is  far  too  young.  But  then,  let’s  consider  the  number  of  unfair  advantages  that  men  take! 

 

‘More  whisky  and  dry?’

‘No,  thank  you,  kind  sir.’

 

Netta  and  Felix  were  sitting  side  by  side  in  the  Prince  of  Wales  looking  at  each  other.  It  was  a  hot  and  close  evening  and,  despite  the  air-conditioning  the  door  stood  ajar  to  give  a  cool  draught.  Some  boys  were  playing  pool  at  a  table  on  the  other  side  of  the  room.

 

Although  the  years  were  passing,  Netta  had  A  face  still  touched  with  beauty.  Conversation  now  flowed  more  easily  between  her  and  Felix.  It  was  the  time  of  whisky-truth.  She  proved  a  human  being  who  wanted  to  talk  about  herself.  Opening  herself  to  him.

 

‘I  married  a  sad  tom-cat,’  she  said,  finishing  her  drink.  Harold  chucked  me  for  a  much  younger  woman.’  Felix  saw  her  eyes  fill.  His  heart  was  caught  -  to  see  tears.  ‘Harold  went  off  the  rails  when  our  son  was  drowned  in  a  yachting  accident.  I  suppose  it  was  his  way  of  coping  with  grief.  That  was  five  years  ago  now.  Geoffrey  would  be  about  your  age  had  he  lived.  You  remind  of  him  a  lot,  Felix 

.

‘When  you  give  yourself,  you  are  disarmed,  vulnerable  to  disappointment,  hurt,  rejection,’  she  continued.  ‘And  that  scares  me.  So  I  try  to  remain  remote  -  and  safe.  I  want  the  impossible,  I  suppose.  To  be  young  again,  no  doubt. How  smooth  and  young  your  face  is,’  she  murmured  after  a  pause.  She  then  asked  him  playfully  if  he  had  a  girl,  if  he  had  slept  with  her?  ‘Surely  you’ve  had  many  love  affairs  at  the  college?’

 

Felix  went red  and  laughed.  ‘You  want  to  know  too  much,’  he  said.

 

‘Ah,  I  thought  so,’  she  cried  triumphantly,  ‘look  at  him  blushing.

 

Because  he  knew  she  was  eager  Felix  was  filled  with  an  enormous  need  to  affirm  his  virility.  He  thought  to  himself  that  he  would  be  a  fool  not  to  take  the  opportunity.  He  owed  it  to  himself  to  seduce  her,  he  considered.  He  made  up  his  mind  to  do  it.  To  take  her  back  to  his  room,  seize  her  in  his  arms.

 

As  they  left  the  pub.  Netta  asked  with  a  smile,  ‘So  what  happened  to  Mrs  Potiphar  in  the  end?’

 

‘She  turned  b***h,  told  her  husband  that  Joseph  had  tried  to  rape  her  when  he  had  in  fact  rejected  her.’

 

They  were  silent  for  a  moment.

 

‘Well,  the  night’s  still  young.  Netta  said.  ‘Like  to  go  for  a  walk  along  the  beach?’

 

‘Yes  -  no  -  yes,  I’d  like  to,’  he  heard  himself  saying.  It  did  not  sound  like  his  own  voice.  ‘No  -  at  least  I  mean,  I’m  …’

 

‘Come  on,’  she  said,  and  her  voice  was  a  silken  mockery.

 

She  imprisoned  his  hand  in  her  own.  Felix  felt  he  was  walking  into  a  net.  Well,  I  need  to  grow  up,  he  told  himself.  But  I’ll  certainly  need  a  net  to  catch  me  if  I  stumble.

 

Her  hips  were  brushing  up  against  him  as  they  walked. 

 

They  wandered  a  little  apart  from  each  other  along  the  shore.  On  the  sea  the  moonlight  was  caressing  the  waves.

 

Felix  was  precisely  aware  of  her  body,  aware  of  its  posture  and  its  closeness,  of  just  where  it  would  touch  his  own  and  how  it  might  be  taken  hold  of.  He  very  much  wanted  to  embrace  her  but  he  feared  he  might  do  it  clumsily.  Would  he  be  a  stallion  at  stud,  or  would  he  rush  off  like  any  frightened  spinster?  He  simply  did  not  know.

 

In  the  distance  a  man  and  a  woman  oblivious  of  the  world  about  them  were  making  love  in  a  shadowed  stretch  of  sand.

 

‘Well,  they  certainly  seem  to  be  busy,’  Netta  said,  again  taking  his  hand,

 

They  walked  on  to  the  other  side  of  the  kiosk  and  sat  down  on  the  sand.  Her  body  touched  his.  He  slid  his  arm  around  her  back  and  pressed  his  face  awkwardly  against  hers.  Her  hand  descended  his  back.  Then  locking  her  arms  tightly  about  his  neck  Netta  thought  wildly,  I  will  draw  youth  and  strength  from  him.

 

The  Netta  was  unbuttoning  her  blouse,  exposing  herself  shameless  and  stark.  His  gaze  imprisoned  in  the  shadowed  cleft.  What  a  woman,  he  thought.  He  worshipped  her.  At  the  same  time  he  was  paralysed  with  fear.

 

‘I’m  terribly  sorry,  Netta.’.  His  heart  was  flaming  up  intensely.

 

But  her  heart  was  mother-soft,  ‘Come  closer  to  me,’  she  said.

 

Felix  knew  he  must  meet  his  fear  face  to  face.  But  in  every  heart  there  lurks  some  secret  dread.  His  whole  body  seemed  to  be  gripped  fast,  like  a  ship  wedged  in  ice.

 

‘Don’t  be  frightened,  Felix.  It’s  beautiful,  wonderful.  And  afterwards  you  will  be  really  free.  And  you  will  make  me  very  happy.’

 

For  a  moment  it  seemed  to  Felix  as  if  a  pit  would  open  and  swallow  him  up.  He  felt  as  though  he  were  invaded  by  her.  But  then  she  touched  the  tips  of  her  fingers  to  his  mouth.

 

‘I  want  you,  Felix.  And  you  want  me.  That’s  something  we  can’t  be  mistaken  about.’

 

Slowly  he  pulled  himself  up  to  a  sitting  position.  Then  he  turned  away  from  her  to  hide  his  face   in  his  hands.

 

‘What  is  it?’  murmured  Netta.  She  caressed  his  back.

 

‘I’m  not  going  to  be  any  good,’  said  Felix.  ‘I  was  afraid  of  this.’

 

‘It  doesn’t  matter.  Embrace  me.’

 

He  stretched  himself  out  almost  stiffly  and  buried  his  face  against  her.  Then  his  arms  pinioned  her  with violence.

 

After  a  little  while  she  said  again,  ‘There,  relax.’

 

His  eyes  ate  into  her  face.  He  felt  her  feeling  running  through  him  giving  him  strength.  Love,  he  realised  was  a  growing  out  of  yourself  into  the  other.  With  the  warmth  of  her  body  flowing  through  him,  he  felt  he  could  conquer  himself.

 

It  was  a  few  minutes  later  that  he  said,  ‘Do  you  know,  I  think  it’s  going  to  be  all  right.’

 

She  allowed  her  hand  to  brush  against  the  front  of  his  trousers,

 

‘Well,  said  Netta  with  a  smile,  ‘it  looks  like  Mrs  Potiphar’s  not  going  to  be  disappointed  after  all.’ 

 

Copyright.  2007  robertdavidson.

 

Note.  A  very different version  of  this  story  may  be  found  in  chapter  39  of  the  Book  of  Genesis. 

 

 

© 2008 ROBERT DAVIDSON


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wowee! Who knew the bible was so racy? (Aside from Song of Songs, that is.) Nice job! And I like the name Potiphar.

Posted 16 Years Ago


You remind of him a lot, Felix

---

This seemed a bit awkward to me. Perhaps you meant "You remind me of him a lot, Felix"?

Posted 16 Years Ago


"She might be the key to the mysteries, he thought. But she'd devour me if I'd let her."

love that. love the detail, and teh conversation worked well. definitely did a nice job with this!



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

quite detailed and nice capture
some memorable phrases
work on your rhythm- if your read it aloud you will hear what I mean

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

596 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008