WORLD  WITHOUT  MEN

WORLD WITHOUT MEN

A Story by ROBERT DAVIDSON

 

WORLD  WITHOUT  MEN

 

By  Robert  Davidson

 

For  thirty  years  now  the  world  had  been  without  any  births  of  male  children.  Females  proliferated.  The  Y  chromosome  had  become  obsolete.

 

Karen  and  Sylvia  had  been  partners  for  eighteen  years  and  were  reasonably  happy  together.  But  about  once  a  month  Sylvia,  with  Karen’s  somewhat  reluctant  agreement,  went  to  stay  with  one  of  the  older  remaining  men.  Adam  Wainwright,  who  had  just  turned  fifty-five. 

 

Men  even  old  men  were  now  at  a  premium,  with  about  one  man  to  every  seventy  women.  Never  had  they  had  it  so  good.  Even  young  women  had  to  make  appointments  way  in  advance  to  spend  a  night  with  an  older  man.  Some  men  auctioned  themselves  to  the  highest  bidder  while  others  advertised  blatantly  for  female  slaves.  Men  were  slowly  dying  out,  soon  to  become  as  obsolete  as  the  dinosaur,  the  brontosaurus  or  the  dodo.

 

Sylvia  was  hoping  to  become  pregnant  by  Adam.  Already,  she  had  three  daughters,  one  by  a  former  fiancé,  Graham  Holman,  one  by  IVF,  and  one  by  Freddie  Saunders,  who  had  died  a  few  months  ago  at  the  age  of  sixty-seven  -  of  exhaustion!

 

Like  millions  of  other  men,  Freddie  had  been  compelled  to  donate  to  the  International  Sperm  Bank,  as  administered  by  the  United  Nations,  from  the  time  he  was  forty-five.  At  first  Freddie  was  a  conscientious  objector,  arguing  that  the  Femocrats  were  invading  his  fundamental  human  rights.  He  told  the  tribunal  of  seven  women,  ‘I’m  quite  happy  to  impregnate  each  one  of  you,  individually  -  but  only  in  the  old-fashioned  way.’  But  when  the  tribunal  threatened  him  with  imprisonment  and  consequent  isolation  from  all  women,  he  readily  gave  way  and  agreed  to  make  regular  sperm  contributions,  despite  his  age.  Freddie  continued  his  relations  with  several  women  friends  until  his  untimely  death.

 

Karen  Ackerman  recalled  vividly  how  the  situation  of  no  more  males  came  to  be,  way  back  in  2008,  when  she  was  only  ten  years  old.  It  was  difficult  to  explain,  the  newsreaders  said  at  the  time.  But  somehow  there  would  be  no  more  men.  Scientists  had  known  for  years  that  the  male  chromosome  was  declining  and  that  an  increasing  number  of  men  were  becoming  infertile.  A  recent  nuclear  fallout  had  somehow  accelerated  the  process  and  meant  there  would  be  no  more  Y-chromosomes  producible   from  that  day  onwards,  every  child  born  would  be  female.  A  world  without  men! 

 

Karen  smiled  to  herself  as  she  made  her  way  home  to  the  flat  she  and  Sylvia  England  had  bought  jointly  in  suburban  Oak  Park;  she  was  delighted  that  the  Amazons  were  finally  taking  over.  She  herself  had  never  wanted  a  man,  she  reflected  as  she  fitted  the  key  into  the  lock  of  the  front  door.  After  all  she  had  been  living  in  a  world  without  men  ever  since  her  mother  had  put  her  on  guard  against  them.  A  brutal  father  and  an  abusive  older  brother  had  shattered  her  childhood.  But  she  was  more  than  willing  to  take  on  the  shared  responsibility  of  Sylvia’s  three  children.

 

Karen  put  down  the  shopping  she  had  just  purchased  on  the  kitchen  table  and  recalled  how  she  was  to  have  been  chief  bridesmaid  at  Sylvia’s  marriage  to  Graham  Holman.  Already  there  had  been  several  fittings  for  the  wedding  dress  and  it  was  only  three  weeks  to  the  big  day.  Sylvia  had  been  radiant.  She  was  also  three  months  pregnant. 

 

The  rain  was  pouring  down  the  afternoon  Graham  arrived  three  hours  late  to  see  Sylvia.  He  was  more  than  slightly  drunk.  He  asked  Karen  to  wait  outside  while  he  spoke  to  Sylvia  privately  in  the  living-room  of  her  parents’  home.  Karen  sat  out  in  the  hallway  but  the  door  was  not  properly  closed  and  she  heard  every  word  of  the  altercation  going  on  inside.  Graham  was  utterly  heartless,  telling  Sylvia  outright  that  he  no  longer  wanted  to  go  on  with  the  wedding.

 

‘I  know  I  should  have  done  it  earlier ….  I  want  to  break  the  engagement ...  Well  the  thing  is,  I  want  my  freedom.’

 

Sylvia  was  stunned.  She  could  hardly  speak,  the  words  choking  in  her  throat.  She  moved  to  the  window  and  stared  out  into  the  rain-soaked  garden.  ‘But  Graham,  all  the  invitations  have  been  sent  out,  the  catering’s  all  arranged     you  can’t  just  walk  out  on  me.’

 

To  make  matters  worse  Graham  then  admitted  to  Sylvia  that  he  had  been  two-timing  her,  that  he  had  been  seeing  another  girl,  Rachel  Collins.   ‘Look,  none  of  the  other  blokes  at  the  office  are  into  one-woman  relationships  and  very  few  people  are  getting  married  these  days,’  Graham  said  clearing  his  throat.  ‘Men  are  no  longer  interested.  There’s  about  a  dozen  girls  for  every  guy,  now.  So,  why  settle  for  only  one!  Why  not  have  a  bit  of  fun?’

 

‘Fun!’  Sylvia  cried.  This  bald  admission  completely  staggered  her.  ‘Fun?  But  don’t  I  mean  anything  to  you?’  She  had   been  so  trusting.  And  now  she  had  been  jilted,  lost  her  fiancé  not  just  to  another  girl  but  to  as  many  women  as  he  could  find.

 

‘What’s  wrong  with  a  little  fun?’  Graham  spoke  defensively  in  a  tight  voice  as  he  made  his  way  to  the  front  door.  ‘You’re  too  damned  strait-laced,  Sylvia.  That’s  your  problem.’

 

She’s  going  to  be  ill  -  have  a  breakdown  or  something  if  she  continues  like  this,  Karen  thought  as  Sylvia  sobbed  in  her  arms  later  that  night.  It  was  dreadful  to  witness  her  friend’s  suffering.  In  the  months  that  followed  Karen  had  comforted  Sylvia,  often  spending  the  night  with  her,  picking  up  the  pieces,  and  stood  by  her  when  her  first  child  was  born,  a  girl  of  course.

 

Karen’s  soft-brown  eyes  and  elfin  features  were  not  difficult  to  read.  She  was  fully  aware  that  every  man  now  thought  of  himself  as  an  Adonis.  And  that  women  were  regarded  only  for  their  transient  value  as  diversions. 

 

‘You  don’t realise it  now,  Sylvia,  but  Graham  Holman  isn’t  worth  a  moment’s  thought.  But  all  Sylvia  could  do  was  to  lie  face  downwards  on  her  bed,  her  shoulders  heaving  with  silent  sobs.  ‘I  know  it’s  awful  of  me,  Karen,  but  I  don’t  want  to  live,’

 

A  few  days  later  Karen  tried  to  explain.  ‘When  a  man  had  to  compete  with  other  men  for  a  woman,  this  made  him  possessive,  made  him  think  of  marriage,  but  now  there’s  a  surplus  of  women  this  possessiveness  evaporates.  Sylvia  had  seated  herself  at  the  dressing-table  in  front  of  the  mirror,  staring  morosely  at  her  reflection.  Smoke-blue  eyes.  Shoulder-length  hair.  She  picked  up  a  silver-backed  brush.

 

Karen  came  and  stood  behind  her.  ‘Here  let  me  do  that  …’

 

Karen  took  up  a  handful  of  Sylvia’s  long  blonde  hair  and  began  long  sweeping  strokes.  Then  she  massaged  her  friend’s  scalp  with  her  fingers,  her  thumbs  curving  down  stroking  the  back  of  her  neck.  She  rubbed  so  rhythmically  that  Sylvia slid  slowly  down  into  a  wonderful  feeling  of  relaxation.

 

Sylvia  told  Karen  that  the  comb  in  her  hair  felt  like  a  tenderness  given,  she  thought  privately  to  herself  it  was  like  being  kissed.  How  starved  I  must  be,  she  thought  as  the  other  girl  gently  stroked  her  hair.  Her  hair  tumbling  down  like  silk.

 

Karen  spoke  calmly,  unemphaticlly,  talked  in  a  low  tone  as  she  combed.  ‘Men  always  seem  more  immature  than  women,  I  think.  They  are  childlike,  you  could  say.  If  they  weren’t,  they  wouldn’t  be  so  aggressive,  would  never  go  to  war,  would  they?’.

 

The  rhythmical  combing  went  on,  becoming  more  gentle,  more  slow.  Karen’s  voice  was  lower,  closer  to  Sylvia’s  ear,  a  little  uncertain.  ‘Sylvia,  you  are  very  beautiful’.  Sylvia’s  eyelids  began  to  close.   In  spite  of  herself  Karen  stirred  her.  The  disturbing  nearness  of  her  body. 

 

And  then  Karen’s  hands  were  under  her  arms,  helping  her  to  her  feet,  guiding  her  to  the  bed.  Sylvia  fell  back,  on  the  bedspread.  The  light  went  out    Karen  slid  down  beside  her.  She  felt  her  own  body  stiffen  but  felt  no  fear  or  aversion.  She  waited    lying  relaxed  now    wanting  to  know  what  would  follow    to  learn  who  and  what  she  was.

 

‘I  love  you,  more  than  any  man  could,’  Karen  was  saying,  burying  her  face  into  her  shoulder.  ‘You  know  that,  Sylvia.’  The  kiss  planted  on  her  lips,  to  which  she  had  tried  to  respond,  but  at  first  could  not.  Then  her  whole  body  surrendered  to  the  other  woman.  Sylvia  had  enjoyed  the  act;  could  not  deny  it. 

Was  she  then  like  Sappho?  Sylvia  recalled  her  mother  saying  that  to  most  people  such  a  relationship  was  unnatural  and  unclean.  But  Sylvia  had  not  felt  this.  She  reflected  that  millions  of  women  throughout  the  world  were  now  having  to  come  to  terms  with  the  idea  of  a  female  lover. Yet,  try  as  she  would,  some  instinct,  as  old  as  time  told  her,  she  could  not  see  the  relationship  developing.

 

The  following  morning  Sylvia  said,  ‘I  must  go  out  and  be  by  myself  for  a  time.’

 

‘Is  this    because  of  what  happened  last  night?’  Karen  asked  in  a  choked  voice.

 

Sylvia  struggled  for  words,  she  had  to  speak  the  truth,  she  did  not  want  to  hurt  her  friend.  At  last  she  said,  ‘In  a  way    that  was  a  symptom  of  what  I’m  suffering  from,  it’s  frustration,  I  suppose..  I    I  don’t  think  I’m  really  that  kind  of  woman.’

 

‘All  women  are  that  kind  of  woman,  if  they  are  lonely  enough,  long  enough,’  said  Karen.  ‘You  only  have  to  look  at  the  prison-system.  Women  separated  from  men  often  turn  to  other  women  for  comfort.’

 

‘You  said  you  loved  me,  Karen.  I  love  you,  too,  but  not  in  the  same  intense  way  you  do,  and  I  don’t  see  how  I  ever  will.  I  mean,  I  know  still  want  and  will  need  a  man  one  day.  It  won’t  make  any  difference  to  the  way  I  love  you …  I’m  frustrated,  Karen  but  I’ve  got  to  get  out,  and    be  what  I  ought  to  be.  And  I  want  to  be  able  to  define  what  I  really  feel.’

 

It  was  the  second  shared  sexual  act  of  Sylvia’s  life,  and  it  ought  to  be  important,  but  it  wasn’t,  she  felt.  There  was  no  place  for  here  for  the  expansion  of  love  -  only  the  satisfaction  of  needs  of  the  moment,  when  her  body  would  demand  it  and  it  would  take  place. 

 

‘Men  are  so  -  such  bullies’,  Karen  was  saying.  They  think  everything  belongs  to  them,  including  us,  just  because  they’re  men.  None  of  them  are  any  good,’  said  Karen.  Sylvia  had  heard  all  this  before.  Often  she  felt  she  was  being  preached  at.  That  Karen  was  coming  on  far  too  strong.  ‘One  woman  wasn’t  enough  for  Graham  Holman  -  or  for  any  man  for  that  matter,  it  would  seem,’  Karen  went  on.  ‘A  man  who  is  promiscuous  is  not  a  true  lover.  He  is  too  centred  upon  himself.  Whereas  a  one-to-one  relationship  offers  security.’

 

In  some  ways  Sylvia  believed  the  relationship  between  herself  and  Karen  was  a  very  suitable  match,  and  clearly  Karen  loved  her.  But  whether  I  love  Karen  with  the  same  single-minded  determination  is  another  matter.  I  also  want  to  try  to  define  what  I  really  feel.  But  men  were  becoming  so  scarce.  Maybe,  she  mused  fancifully,  I  might  in  the  end  have  to  go  out  and  buy  me  a  man  in  the  street.

 

She  thought  of  Coral  Fellowes,  a  neighbour,  who  had  recently  met  up  with  a  man,  standing  under  a  lamp-post  in  Pascoe  Vale  Road  and  how  Coral  had  gone  with  him  to  his  room  for  an  hour. Sylvia  reflected  that  throughout  the  world  millions  of  women  had  to  adjust  to  the  idea  of  a  female  lover.  The  only  other  option  was  to  cry  all  alone  in  a  cold  bed,  withering  in  celibate  solitude.

 

By the  end  of  October  Sylvia’s  first  child  was  born.  Karen  was  present  at  the  birth  and  they  named  the  baby  Zoe.  But  twelve  months  later  Sylvia  was  wanting  another  child.  Karen  managed  to  persuade  her  to  have  Lucy  by  IVF.  But  then  two  years  after  Lucy’s  birth  Sylvia  told  Karen  she  was  having  an  affair  with  Freddie  Saunders.  Another  daughter,  Freda  was  the  result.

 

Sylvia  had  realised  that  for  some  time  now  she  was  suffering  from  a  nameless  yearning,  a  longing  to  share,  to  give  -  what?  The  nights  she  spent  in  Karen’s  arms  had  not  abated  it,  or  t old  her  what  it  really  was,  only  what  it  was  not.  She  felt  lost,  drained    missed  the  presence  of  a  man.  The  urgent  thrust  of  a  man’s  body  into  her  own.

 

And  now  she  was  thinking  of  Adam  Wainwright.  She  had  spent  the  previous  afternoon  with  him  at  his  flat  in  Essendon.  She  had  met  Adam  at  a  Parent/Teacher  meeting  when  she  was  enrolling  Zoe  into  the  local  primary  school.  Adam  was  one  of  only  two  male  teachers  in  the  school.  There  had  been  an  instant  rapport  between  them  and  a  few  weeks  later  they  were  dating.  Sylvia  was  amazed  to  feel  excitement  throb  in  her  body  again.  Karen  had  not  aroused  her  to  this  extent.  No  use  pretending.  Sylvia  desired  Adam  as  he  desired  her.  The  movement  of  her  body  against  his.  What  I  needed  most  was  a  man,  she  thought,  just  to  remind  me  I  was  real.  To  cope  with  stress  by  sexual  release.  She  was  on  the  verge  of  knowing  her  womanhood  fully,  she  thought.

 

Adam  was  finely  made  like  a  steel  spring  with  a  gaunt  angular  face  beneath  a  receding  hairline.  But  it  wasn’t  long  before  Sylvia  realised  that  Adam  was  taking  over  the  role  she  herself  tended  to  play  with  Karen.  He  won’t  fully  give  himself  to  me,  she  thought,  just  as  I  couldn’t  wholly  give  myself  to  another  woman.  There’s  nothing  but  the  brittle  cord  of  passion  to  bind  us.  His  only  interest  in  me  is  the  pleasure  my  body  can  afford  him.  She  felt  the  pain  of  tears  behind  her  eyes.

 

And  now  as  time  went  on  and  the  supply  of  men  was  diminishing,  women  were  finding  themselves  more  and  more  in  positions  of  power,  taking  over  everything  -  banks,  industry,  commerce,  insurance,  teaching,  government.  An  in  the  Middle  East  women  were  at  last  coming  into  their  own,  coming  out  of  purdah,  and  for  the  first  time  challenging  male  supremacy..  Australia  had  its  first  female  Prime  Minister  and  government  departments  were  dominated  by  women,  but  parliamentary  debates  seemed  to  go  on  three  times  as  long  while  women  argued  for  more  social  and  economic  justice  for  disadvantaged  minority  groups.

 

With  regard  to  personal  relationships  women  found  they  could  no  longer  indulge  the  classic  female  games  of  playing  hard  to  get,  or  pretending  she  was  going  to  satisfy  a  man  without  intending  to  go  through  with  it.  Female  modesty  was  a  thing  of  the  past.  Now  it  was  the  woman  who  initiated  sex.  Women  competed,  often  violently,  to  be  serviced  by  the  increasingly  fewer  remaining  men.  Frequently,  at  night,  packs  of  prowling  women  would  stalk  the  streets  looking  for  solitary  men  to  prey  upon.  Men  were  now  the  victims  of  sexual  predators.

 

Like  Karen,  Sylvia  was  keen  to  follow  the  latest  scientific  research.  For  thirty  years  scientists  had  been  attempting  to  clone  males  from  bone  marrow  but  with  no  success.  Many  women,  however,  were  opposed  to  these  experiments,  arguing  that  the  recreation  and  repopulation  of  the  world  with  males  would  only  lead  to  the  return  of  violence  against  women  and  the  recurrence  of  war.  Sylvia  reflected  that  there  had  been  no  major  war  for  about  twenty  years,  ever  since  the  United  States  and  Australia  had  been  humiliatingly  defeated  in  the  Middle  East.

 

Ten  years  ago  the  al  qaida  movement  had  set  fire  to  the  Kuwaiti  oil  fields  in  a  massive  conflagration.  The  US  and  Australia  had  been  compelled  to  withdraw  all  their  troops.  It  was  Vietnam  all  over  again.

 

But  a  few  years  later  it  was  being  announced  that  Australia  and  the  US  were  again  sending  troops  to  the  Middle  East,  as  more  oil  supplies  had  been  discovered  beneath  the  sea.  And  that  all  women  aged  between  eighteen  and  twenty-two  would  be  conscripted  for  combat  duties  in either  Iraq  or  Afghanistan.  Men  would  be  automatically  exempt  from  military  service  as  they  would  be  required  for  fertilising  purposes.  One  cynical  male  gad-fly  journalist,  Horace  Handcock,  was  arguing  that  since  every  war  had  an  economic  base,  this  second  Middle  East  was  necessary  to  stimulate  economic  growth,  that  we  were  heading  into  economic  depression  with  all  the  bleeding-heart  welfare  policies  the  governments  of  the  world  had  been  promoting  ever  since  women  came  to  power.

 

Sylvia’s  eighteen  year  old  daughter  Zoe  did  not  wait  for  her  call-up  papers  but  immediately  enlisted  voluntarily  in  the  regular  female  army  and  would  be  sent  to  Afghanistan  as  were  many  of  her  friends  at  the  now  almost  female  university  she  attended.  But  before  Zoe  left  Australia,  she  became  a  war  agitator,  an  urger,  urging  other  women  to  volunteer  for  military  service.  Often  Zoe  would  go  out  clubbing  on  Saturday  nights  searching  for  girls  with  boy haircuts.  She  would  hand  out  or  post  white  feathers  in  envelopes  to  any  young  women  she  encountered  who  were  not  in  uniform  or  who  opposed  conscription  and  the  war.   

 

Karen  could  remember  the  time  when  most  students,  female  and  male,  were  anti-war  oriented.  But  this  had  changed  in  recent  years,  thereby  shattering  one  of  the  major  fictions  of  feminist  utopian  literature,  that  the  impulse  to  war  and  violence  would  automatically  disappear  once  women  took  control  in  a  world  without  men.

 

Copyright  2008  robertdavidson.

.

 

 

© 2008 ROBERT DAVIDSON


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol very nice twist...

Posted 15 Years Ago


WOW! great depth of a writing, I agree this is really fascinating. Like this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I find this absolutely fascinating! I want to know more, what will females evolve into? And how will the population ever renew itself after all the men are gone? What is driving the wars that women are fighting now instead of men? Love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A world without man a very intresting concept. I like the idea of this and the story flowed nicly. I hope there will be more as I want to find out more about how agress the female will become?


Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

544 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 14, 2008
Last Updated on July 22, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..