Chapter One-Rhiannon (Part One)

Chapter One-Rhiannon (Part One)

A Chapter by Rachel Hanne
"

This story overall is going to consist of 2 points of view indicated at the header; Rhiannon and the other main character Darin. Takes place in the mid to late 70's This is edited. Hope its better

"

Rhiannon

           

           

 

         It had never been so hard for me to wake up in the morning. I felt half dead. My eyes were sore, and I was weak. It took every ounce of my energy to get up and ready. I almost decided to skip school. I hated the people on my bus-and the fact that I even still had to ride the bus. All the rest of my friends had cars. I envied them, pulling into the school parking lot with their new trucks and Impalas. Having a car was expected, especially being a senior. We lived five miles from civilization, and I had no friends to give me rides. I was the first on the bus, and the last off. The people were obnoxious, and our bus driver was a veteran from World War I that couldn't hear anything. His face was like a shriveled up piece of paper, and his bottom lip covered his top. Every Friday he handed out candy and stickers. He was like the Mr. Rogers of the town.

        As more people came on to the bus, I kept getting stares, and comments like, "I'm sorry." I did not want so much pity in one day. I thought they had to be stupid, why would they remind me of something like that? I barely even made it to the bus, why would I want any more pity? I knew hoping wouldn't make things different, but I hoped that the day would go smoothly with hardly any questions or reminders of my brother Bobby, or his friend Jared Fischer. Of course, that didn't happen. When I entered the school building I saw my locker from the front lobby, and it was covered in cards and balloons. I walked up to my locker and within a minute, I was surrounded by people. None of which were any of my friends. They asked me questions, and I got plenty of reminders. I had tried my locker combination multiple times, and couldn't get it open. I wanted to scream at them.  I knew that they had only good intentions, and were being kind, so I did not do as I wanted to do so badly. I had only known one of the girls, a cheerleader named Maria. In seventh grade we were both in a ski camp together in Aspen. She had fallen down one of the basic hills, and sprained her wrist, and I helped get her back to the lodge. Then Bobby gave her some hot chocolate while I sat and talked to her. Maria and her cheerleader friends weren't annoying, or overly preppy like the typical stereotype. I could tell they were genuinely concerned. Cheerleaders sometimes got a bad reputation. Maria handed me a stuffed bear, and gave me a warm hug.

            "I am so sorry about Bobby. You are in my prayers. If you need anything, let me know okay?"

           

            In terms of academics, everything was the same as it always was. The failing Physics test grade disappointed me, since it was one of my easier classes.  I sat next to a kid named Jonathan Bale in nearly every class. He reeked of pot, and once I even saw some stuck in his long beard and his hair! The combination of the two features wasn't abnormal, as it was the fashion of society. I'd hardly call it fashion though. It looked disgusting -almost like he had come out of some shack in the boondocks. Jonathan's girlfriend Claire always looked into the classroom window, and mouthed words to him, and made a heart shape with her hands. It was irritating, and the teachers never saw it. Or they just didn't care. I hated  how they made a huge deal out of small things, and didn't make a big deal out of truly distracting issues.

 

            Claire talked to me constantly in my typing class.  I didn't mind, I just couldn't quite understand her. She was nothing like me. I was rather dull, and she was full of energy. I never said much in reply to her stories, but I could tell anyone who asked all about her.

            "You will never guess what happened to me this weekend!" Claire grinned. I took the paper out of the type writer.

            "What happened?"

            "Well, Johnny and I were in the woods alright? And we were a little um...high I guess.. the acid was kicking in. Johnny was like 'I have to sit down.' I was fine, so I took a walk. I started getting a little light headed, and I saw bugs crawling all over me. Beetles, spiders, and I even saw little snakes slithering up my legs. The leaves on all of the trees like, swooshed after me, and tried taking me away. Then  I fell and then I saw the beginning of time...you know, the big bang?  It was like 'boom!' Then I woke up and it was morning. So I walked on and yelled out Johnny's name, and I saw him laying on the ground asleep where I last saw him." I was standing as she told me of her tale. My mouth was hanging open by that point. Claire laughed. "What?" Could she be that stupid, I thought.

            "Are you okay?" Claire shrugged at my question.

            "For the most part. I'm still a little hung-over though." She giggled, and flipped her blond hair behind her shoulder. I rubbed my eyes and shook my head. From her attitude it was as if this kind of occurrence was normal for her.

            "You should find a hobby." I suggested.

            "Are you kidding? I ain't good at anything. I can hold a good party."

            "You're good at talking." I mumbled, as I turned in my assignment. I looked at Claire's paper, and saw that she had nothing typed. She was messing with her makeup, holding a small mirror in one hand, and mascara in the other. I remembered I had forgotten to wear my makeup, and regretted not bringing any along with me. People probably thought I resembled a zombie.

            Looking at the clock was the only other thing I had accomplished that day in the rest of my classes. I didn't eat at lunch, and I saw from across the cafeteria, that Darin Fischer, Jared's younger brother,  didn't eat either. He just spun the spaghetti with his fork, and messed with his silverware. I just wanted to escape the prison of school, and go some where different. I felt trapped in the valley of the majestic mountains.  I felt trapped in my own home. I wanted to see New York, with bright lights, and so many people from so many places. Just someplace far away from where I was. Somewhere in Europe, so I could see all of the old architecture and art that held a preview of the past. I wasn't supposed to feel so empty. I wasn't supposed to feel so tired at such a young age right? I was supposed to be doing things like Claire. Having the time of my life with people I loved. Getting drunk, going to parties, breaking rules, and skipping school. The people who did those kinds of things had  more stories to tell. So there I was, boring. A 3.8 student (only 3.8) in Honors Club and Speech. I mostly just listened to what I was told to do, and did my best at everything, and criticized myself on every task that was assigned. I was content with the fact I wasn't the most boring student. I had many aspirations; I just never knew what to do with them, and I didn't feel like I wanted them enough. The motivation got sucked out of me. My mom was nothing like me, and was similar to Claire. She was outgoing, and extremely extroverted. However she wasn't as careless, and grades were crucial to her. My dad, he'd be the complete opposite of that. He dropped out of college, and traveled to Colorado, where he met my mom. Then one day he just left. He never specified where he was going, he just went. He couldn't stay in one place for too long. The only gift I got from him was a bracelet with my name engraved in a heart that I wore almost every day.

            A cold wind sliced my skin as I walked from my bus stop to my cottage house. Winter was going to come early. I saw Darin down the street under a tree wearing a sweater and reading a book.  I had half a mind to go ask him how his day was, but his eyes intimidated me. He probably hated life that day as much as I did, with the day before burned into our memory.

As I reached my quaint home, I saw my mom messing with her garden. She had her brown hair up in a bun, and an apron around her waist that was covered in soil. Blood vessels stretched out to her blue eyes, and dark circles shadowed beneath them. She greeted me with an exaggerated smile.

"We are going to have the McFeely's over for supper tonight." The McFeely's were my grandmother's side of the family that I had only seen once in my life. They really were from the hills, and were the most obnoxious people I could recall meeting. They had immigrated to America years before then, and were the poor Irish American's that never got any work, and lived off the government. There was a reason I had only met them once.

"Oh no." I replied. Mom laughed, and brushed the soil off her apron.

"They may have changed since you last met them. Don't be too quick to judge."

"I guess." Mom sighed, and took down her hair.

"I need to get ready myself. I look like I just rolled around in the dirt."

"Well...you kind of did."

Ignoring my smart remark, mom opened the door for the both of us. She said she was going to get ready, but I knew that 'get ready' meant that she was probably going to sleep for an hour, then wake up five minutes before company arrived. She looked as tired of life as I was.

The McFeely's had brought more food than my mom prepared. They were a very large bunch of people, so I was not surprised. One little boy, my cousin Jeremy, yelled at his dad, to 'go to hell' when his dad had told him he was grounded for talking back before. No one in the family had really 'changed'. Some of the adults were more mature, but their kids were becoming their parents; they behaved in a manner that resembled their parents when they were teenagers.

"You are so pretty. You must get that from your mom." One old man said, missing three front teeth. I hated the compliments, but said my thanks anyway. I mostly hid behind my mom like a little girl who was going to school for the first time. I got good vibes from the McFeely's, and grew to be more comfortable the longer I was around them. They talked about old times, and about the world news and all of it's horror and tragedy. I wanted all of my family to be gone once they started talking about Bobby. I began to hate their presence. I started picking out each of their flaws as they carried on about him. I left the front room without saying goodbye, and slipped into the shadowed hallway to my room. I didn't do any of my homework, and I laid in bed, with tears running down my cheeks.

I remembered the previous day with detail. A cloud of black was formed in front of the two ditches six feet below. Eyes around me dropped salty tears, and the Priest spoke final words before my older brother and his best friend Jared were gone forever.  I did not cry.  I looked up, viewing the cloudless sky above us. Nature did not coincide with the emotions of the people.  The birds sang in the trees, and flowers were bright and in bloom. While my surroundings were very much alive, my spirit was frozen and empty, and inside I felt I might as well have been dead. Nothing is ceased for those in despair. When people die, nothing stops and everything continues like nothing happened.  Time waits for no one.  The wind will still blow, the sun will still rise and set, the grass will green and brown. The leaves will grow, fall, and grow again.  The seasons will continue, and the oceans and rivers shall catch the rain as it always has. I began to fear that nothing of existence was created by any kind of God. If God doesn’t exist, there will be no afterlife of peace and joy for those deserving.  I do not want to just be nothing, I thought. What of me would live on?  What of me would remain animate other than that of my children and kin?  Would I have no thoughts or feelings at all? No, I’d be just another decaying body, in a mind of black abyss. What is the point of existing, I wondered, if we all have to live life full of worry, pain, stress, and only temporary happiness?  Will nothing of each of us last forever?

I pondered these things as my mother next to me wept silently, resting her head on my shoulder, clenching my right hand. I had never seen my mom cry before. She was always headstrong, and the happiest of our family; always laughing, and telling those in trouble everything would be alright, and she was the first to make a comeback at any rude comment. Mom could always back herself up, and was strong in any depressing situation. Even when dad left. This was a side I had never seen of her, and I didn't like it. I averted my eyes to see Darin Fischer. Tears glided down his cheeks, and he was looking down, his fists tight and shaking.  I hated him before that day. He seemed almost robot-like, with an abrasive and cold attitude towards people. Seeing him cry reminded me that he was indeed human. We witnessed the two companions being buried, and the wind whistled on as it always did.

The only news I received about their death was that they were killed in a drive by shooting, and blood was everywhere. It was on camera outside a liquor store, where they had gone to purchase beer and other college party necessities. The gunman was masked in the passenger seat of a car, and no one could suspect anyone with such little evidence.

            I planned to take down the balloons and cards from my locker. I felt like breaking down again, but there wasn't much left of me to break.

                                    



© 2012 Rachel Hanne


Author's Note

Rachel Hanne
This is a work in progress, so if you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know! I need some constructive criticism, the good and bad aspects. Thanks!
PS I edited multiple parts of it. I hope its not as confusing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This story is a nice read.
Rhiannon is definitely a complex character. I couldn't decipher which narration belongs to Jared, it seems all of it belongs to Rhiannon...

The story is well written with only a few minor grammatical errors which you can easily revise...
The thing is, i couldn't quite catch on to what happened to Bobby or Jared.... What is causing Rhiannon to be so sad?

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

Gotya,
I didn't pay much attention to the "part1" you wrote ...
It's a nice story and i .. read more
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Right, agreed. Thank you for your tips! I will apply the death ordeal somehow before this. Thank you.. read more
KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

No problem.
Keep on writing...
:)



Reviews

great piece, excellent writing - my favourite line is: Time waits for no one. The wind will still blow, the sun will still rise and set....

You are extremely descriptive and hold consistency & flow. Don't worry about editing till you NEED to publish or something. The important things are setting, character and dialogue. The character is a teenager, so she doesn't have to be completely coherent. It's a bit depressing, haha!! But that's not the point - the point is you know how to convey emotion through your writing.

Good job!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I know it is a tad depressing...but the overall theme is overcoming grief, so it .. read more
It's very good, Rhiannon seems very real, like she could hop out into the real world. :) Excellent job. It's also so sad, but well written. ^_^ I can't wait to read more!! :D

100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
I am trying to make her as real as possible, and I am glad I am ach.. read more
This was a very nice story to read. It's very interesting. I look forward to reading more.
A few grammatical errors but they are easily fixed! :-D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Sweet! Thank you!
s y e

11 Years Ago

Welcome!
This was a very nice story to read. It's very interesting. I did get quite confused during some parts, but it was stilll very good. There were also a few gramical errors but if you look over it I'm sure you can find them. Wonderful write. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I am glad you like it!
It's been difficult for me to make it not confusing.. read more
KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

It is a great story. I agree, it may be confusing, but its supposed to be. As you continue to read (.. read more
}Echo{

11 Years Ago

Welcomes. :) Ah, okay. :)
These revisions keep on improving the quality of these chapters and ensure your future chapter's quality.
Keep up the improvement...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Wooot! Great, that is always good to hear. Thank you!
Hello Rachel!
This is a very "nice" story. Nice being the fact that it's well-written and easy to follow. The story itself is not nice. It's about death, which is never nice. From the uttering of a lost teenager you have displayed eloquence in your writing. You persuade the reader that she hates someone. You bring us on a journey through her soul. Rhiannon is, of course, complex. If she wasn't what story would there be to tell? This particular narration, from her point of view, is stunning. I wonder what all of this means for our confused friend. My favorite part was when she remembered the funeral. How she didn't cry, I know how that feels. When my grandmother died and everyone was crying, I didn't. I had to much pain to cry. I wanted to stay strong for my sister. I wanted her to be found, someones shoulder to cry on. The pain that you reflect in the flash back is tremendously thick. It's dense, covered with emotions and reflections. I will definitely be sneaking in time to read more of these chapters. They are quite long chapters. I tend to write shorter ones because of time and pacing of the story. It is a little confusing. School goes by faster for her then anything else. Maybe a sentence more or two. I like how you mentioned her failing another physics test as quite inside the normal realm of life for her. You have managed to create a character that one can find great hope in while still being stuck in utter despair. Nicely penned.
Best regards,
Dell

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

*sometimes longer
my bad.
Phillitup

11 Years Ago

I wouldn't call my reviews fantastic, depends on your view I guess. Heartless isn't good, unless you.. read more
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

^ all true, I thank you for your compliments!
Great story! Just a few suggestions: (1) "He reeked of pot, and I had seen him have it stuck in his long beard and hair." This sentence seemed a bit off. Maybe if you rephrased it like: "He reeked of pot, and once I even saw some stuck in his long beard!" (2) teacher's never saw it. = should be: teachers never saw it. (3) I never said much in reply to **he** stories = should this be **her**? (4) I didn't eat at lunch, and I saw from across the cafeteria, that Darin Fischer, Jared's older brother, didn't eat either. = At this point, I'm a bit confused about who Jared is. From the book's description, I was under the impression they were all related, Rhiannon, Darin, Jared, and Bobby. This sentence confused me because you refer to Jared as Darin's brother and I thought they were both Rhiannon's brothers. Maybe you could clarify this in the introductory paragraph. (5) 3.8 student = 3.8 GPA?
I found this chapter to be a really great read! I think Rhiannon is an interesting and relatable character. I really enjoyed this chapter. Besides a few minor surface errors, this was a very smooth and polished chapter. Great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Yeah I know of some of the grammatical errors (gah grammar!) Wow, this is an awesome review. You are.. read more
Very good, looking forward to the next installment. Just a couple typing errors, for example he instead of the.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Jason Frosch

11 Years Ago

and he wind whistled on as it always did. The end of the third to last paragraph. Chapter One-Rhiann.. read more
Jason Frosch

11 Years Ago

Can't find the other one, I will re-read all of your story and post afterward. :)
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

okay!
am new to this site, how do u put your work onthis site?

Posted 11 Years Ago


great peace of work..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing! You go to manage writing, then click the add writing tab :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

698 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 19, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012
Tags: 70s, teen, young adult, story, funeral, rhia, darin


Author

Rachel Hanne
Rachel Hanne

Somewhere in, MO



About
I obviously enjoy writing, and I am a band geek. That should tell you enough :) more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Rachel Hanne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Burns Burns

A Poem by Baby Ricochet


The Girl The Girl

A Poem by }Echo{